A Sit Down With DJ Funtcase
James Hazell, better known by his stage name FuntCase, is an English Dubstep and drum and bass producer and DJ, from Bournemouth, England. Hazell first released drum and bass, under the moniker DJ Dose in 2007, and in 2009 released his first single under the name FuntCase.
"EVERYONE ALWAYS DOES WHATS IN THEIR HEART AND THATS WHY I RESPECT IT, AND WHATS IN MY HEART IS DRUM AND BASS AND DUBSTEP, SO I STICK TO WHAT MY HEART SAYS."
How did you come up with the name FuntCase?
Again, it was an accident kind of the dubs I made for my mates radio show I mentioned earlier, I didnt want anyone to know it was me in case they started calling me a bandwagoner so I sat and made up some names with him just for the Dubstep tracks. I obviously had no clue I would be where I am now and made up a joke name. I still remember pissing myself with laughter seeing my name on a flyer the first time!
Any particular producers inspiring you at the moment?
Its harder and harder to go wow the long youre into it. Im really vibing off Badklaat and Bukez Finezt though, theyre doing their own sound. Joker, too. He influences me loads! We chat a lot and were talking about a collab. But imagine a col-lab between us? Hes so funky and Im so obnoxious.
How does your creative process differ when you collaborate with another artist?
Collabs are hit or miss, but when a collab works the music pretty much writes itself. Sometimes if you work on a track yourself you get stuck or end up creating something stale, but when a collab works you have a fresh mind that adds to music and you make something great.
The British Dubstep scene has evolved considerably since its origins. What are your thoughts on the place its arrived today?
Its in a great place I think right now. All styles are catered for, theres good crowds for every style and all of the bandwagoners have been weeded out and have gone to other scenes, leaving mainly the lovers of the style in general. I didnt actually think it would last as long as it has but I guess we can thank America in a big way for its survival and prolonged life, as theyve been at the forefront, accommodating big tours and even ripping dubstep at the biggest festivals.
In your opinion, what do you think has helped you consistently be one of the best producers?
Not sounding like everyone else I guess? I never ever EVER ever tried to sound like anyone and I never taken influence to any track. Ive always influences, or make you know anything that makes me hype. I feel like I got my own sound? In a way? I like to think that, but Ive never ever tried to be anyone else I like to go through my image and my sound and I think thats helped me out in the long run.
What is your main focus when youre making music?
Thats a hard one. Its whatever stays in my head. Either a rhythmic pattern or a hooky melody or preferably both together. A melody where the tones are arranged in such an order it stays in your head, complete with a good rhythm is the main focus. Well, it should be But then I get lost in 10 hours of sound design on one snare and totally lose focus on what I should be focusing on.
What keeps you motivated to be at the top of your game? What are some goals you still wish to achieve?
I just want to leave a legacy in music, in dubstep. I want to be the guy that everyone goes Hey hes the dubstep guy. I want to be one of the frontrunners of dubstep and always be mentioned. Lets say its years from now and dubstep doesnt exist anymore and someone goes Remember dubstep? and someone else goes Yeah FuntCase thats what I want. The dubstep world of fame. I wanna be that guy.
- 24.03.2019 MIGOS AND DJ MUSTARD TAKE OVER A WAREHOUSE
- 24.03.2019 SOMEONE ASKED BEBE REXHA TO COVER HER STRETCH MARKS
- 07.03.2019 Rita Ora channels Britney Spears as she shows downfall
- 28.02.2019 Ryan Adams guitarist Todd Wisenbacker
- 28.02.2019 Jenny Lewis is deeply troubled by Ryan Adams sexual misconduct allegations
- 07.03.2019 Red Hot Chili Peppers Flea entertains crowd with handstands
- 28.02.2019 Lady Gaga slept through Oscar nomination announcement
- 28.02.2019 Can We Please Talk About Katy Perry's Engagement Ring?
- 19.02.2019 Sam Smith Is Reclaiming His "Curves" And Fighting "The Fuck Back"
- 07.03.2019 Mariah Carey Thought The Chainsmokers Were One Direction
- 19.02.2019 Ciara's New Song "Greatest Love" Is Perfect And Really Personal
- 28.02.2019 Pornhub Released A Valentine's Day Album, And It's Not Great
- 07.03.2019 BLACKPINK Finally Has Tour Dates Across North America
- 18.02.2019 Emma Stone & Haim Recreated Spice Girls Video
- 18.02.2019 Maren Morris Holds Her Head High In New GIRL Video
- 28.02.2019 Teyana Taylors Ballroom Take On Cinderella
- 28.02.2019 Bebe Rexha Calls Out Designers
- 28.02.2019 Chris Brown Plans To Sue Rape Accuser For Defamation
- 26.01.2019 Missy Elliott, John Prine, Yusuf/Cat Stevens Among 2019 Songwriters
- 26.01.2019 Justin Timberlake Surprises Atlanta Crowd With T.I.
Back to news