Police Say No Criminal Suspicion in Aviciis Death
Artist, DJ, and producer Tim Bergling, a.k.a. Avicii, died Friday afternoon in Oman, according to a statement from his rep. According to multiple media reports, sources within the Oman police department have said they have no criminal suspicion in the Friday death of famous Swedish DJ.
Swedish superstar gone
Avicii, whose real name was Tim Bergling, died Friday at a resort in Muscat, Oman of undisclosed causes at the age of 28. Two post-mortem examinations have been conducted, with authorities ruling out foul play.
One of the most popular and successful electronic dance-music artists of all time he scored a No. 4 hit on the Billboard 200 in 2013 with Wake Me Up and regularly appeared in the Top 5 of Forbes Highest-Paid DJs lists he retired from live performing in 2016 at the peak of his success, citing health reasons.
What illness did he have?
He had suffered from health problems for several years, including acute pancreatitis, exacerbated by excessive drinking. That make him retire from performing two years ago (in 2017) to take a break from touring and the exhausting lifestyle that comes with it. He had his gallbladder and appendix removed in 2014 but said he had quit drinking at the time.
He said at the time: "I'm still traumatized. But I'm sure I will again.
He don't give up music
After his retirement, DJ explained in a 2017 posting on his site that he had no intention of giving up music completely, writing "We all reach a point in our lives and careers where we understand what matters the most to us."
Avicii returned to studio work with gusto, releasing an EP last fall called Avici that he said was the first third of his third studio album, and his label chief,Geffen Records Neil Jacobsen, told Variety Friday that the artist was hard at work on new material.
We were working on it and it was his best music in years, honestly, Jacobsen said. And I know because I [A&Rd] all of his albums. He was so inspired. He was so psyched. We had done a month of grinder sessions. We had to actually put end times on the sessions because Tim would just work for 16 hours straight, which was his nature. You had to pull him out. Like, Tim, come on. Go to bed. Get some rest. Its just a tragedy. We have this incredible, magical music.
Jacobsen declined to provide further details about the recordings, and said he would sit down with Aviciis family in the coming weeks to try and do what we think Tim would want us to do.
Swedish fans hold memorial
EDM community mourns
After the news broke of his death Friday afternoon, musicians mourned his death on social media, sharing messages of shock and grief.
"Devastating news about Avicii, a beautiful soul, passionate and extremely talented with so much more to do. My heart goes out to his family. God bless you Tim," wrote Calvin Harris, while Marshmello shared, "At a loss for words...Rest easy brother."
"My sincerest and most heartfelt condolences to the friends, fans and families of @Avicii," Deadmau5 tweeted. "Banter aside, nobody can deny what he has accomplished and done for modern dance music and I'm very proud of him."
- 22.05.2019 Selena Gomez at Cannes 2019
- 22.05.2019 Here Are the Lyrics to Taylor Swift's 'ME!,'
- 22.05.2019 Why Gwyneth Paltrow Has Worked Hard'
- 20.05.2019 Netherlands wins Eurovision
- 22.05.2019 Julia Roberts Reveals Why Shes Never Watched Game of Thrones
- 22.05.2019 Elton John: 'Being a performer saved my life'
- 22.05.2019 Shakira and Carlos Vives beat plagiarism case
- 20.05.2019 Taylor Swift admits strange shower habit
- 19.05.2019 Sam Smith & Normani's 'Dancing With a Stranger' Hits No. 1
- 19.05.2019 Michael Jackson's Eldest Child Prince Graduates
- 15.05.2019 Taylor Swift Reacts to YouTubers' 'ME!'
- 19.05.2019 Unfinished Prince memoir gets publication date
- 15.05.2019 'Daisy Jones & the Six' goes behind the music
- 15.05.2019 P!nk and Stormzy Continue U.K. Chart Reigns
- 15.05.2019 Halsey Announces New Single 'Nightmare'
- 14.05.2019 Grandmaster Flash wins Polar Music Prize
- 14.05.2019 New releases from Amanda Palmer, Stella Donnelly
- 19.05.2019 Hozier talks about new album 'Wasteland, Baby!'
- 14.05.2019 Myspace loses 50 million songs
- 14.05.2019 Kanye West gets booed at Bonnaroo
Back to news