A Sit Down With DJ Lisa Lashes
Lisa Lashes is the first and only female to be considered among the top ten DJs in the world by DJ Magazine, ranking ninth in 2000 and continuing as the top-ranking female DJ in 2001, 2002, and 2003. Her mix album, Hard House Euphoria and Extreme Euphoria Vol. 2 , have been the highest selling hard house complitation in the world.
"It`s not just a way of life it becomes part of your soul, more than that you really learn to appreciate its sheer genius against other genres in dance music."
Who are your favourite techno artists/labels at the moment?
Love what Len Faki does making his whole set into a crescendo. The mesmerising Nicole Moudaber, Chris Liebling and Alan Fitzpatrick have my vote for on point DJ sets and Alans production on his We Are The Brave label is something Ive been keeping my eye on as hes not scared of diversity.
You have played at Europes top festivals such as Global Gathering, Creamfields and Dance Valley, alongside Sander van Doorn, Marco V and Ferry Corsten. What was your personal career highlights so far?
I keep smashing them time and time again so there isnt one that sticks in my mind as the best, they all have their different reasons for being the highlights of my career.
At what point did you realise you could be a DJ professionally? Were you able to enjoy the satisfaction of giving up a job for it?
When I started DJing on a regular basis and was about to embark on becoming the resident of the first Sunday Superclub, Sundissential, I knew it was time to hang up my blue, flowery, itchy nylon Marks & Spencer uniform! Q) Youre playing at the Goodgreef 15th birthday party in October. What kind of relationship have you had with Goodgreef over the years, and how do you see the next fifteen years going.
What was it that inspired you to start creating techno?
I was in a transitional period with my music so took some time out to get some inspiration, as in 19 years Id not been on the other side of the decks and felt a little disconnected. So, I went on New Years Day to The Warehouse Project in Manchester, and when I heard Carl Craig and Maceo Plex fell in love with what they were playing.
Do you have equipment preferences? What do you think about the digital DJing revolution?
At home I have Technics 1210, a Pioneer mixer and Trackmaster needles. I prefer vinyls, but I guess one day CDs will take over eventually.
You've been in the industry for a number of years now and pretty much done it all in the "other time zones". Is this EDM explosion in the U.S. a new challenge for you?
I think its an exciting time for the US. They've embracing the amazing international dance scene and I look forward to contributing to it with my knowledge of dance music as best as I know how.
If & when you decided to write a autobiography of your life what would it be called?
Well, as a matter of fact, since the beginning of the year, Ive actually been writing a diary that documents all the travelling that Ive been doing recently. Im collecting bits and bobs, lots of footage from around the world and will eventually create a sort of scrapbook of the yearso you never know, it might just end up as an autobiography!
Your image is very unique to you and has become almost a signature look. Do you have any specific shops you shop in or do you have to look around for the perfect Lashes outfit?
I love the new Harvey Nichols in Birmingham and enjoy visiting the shops in London around Bond Street. Ive always liked going out to find unusual outfitsPhilip Treacy does really amazing hats. You know us girls; we just adore our shopping!
What was the best and the worst gig you ever played?
The best differs all the time but one I will always remember as a great party was Cape Town for the millenium where I played to 9000 people for the midnight set. My worst was when I played a UK festival and the tent leaked. Water proceeded to fall onto the decks where I got a massive electric shock every time I touched them.
- 22.05.2019 Selena Gomez at Cannes 2019
- 22.05.2019 Here Are the Lyrics to Taylor Swift's 'ME!,'
- 22.05.2019 Why Gwyneth Paltrow Has Worked Hard'
- 20.05.2019 Netherlands wins Eurovision
- 22.05.2019 Julia Roberts Reveals Why Shes Never Watched Game of Thrones
- 22.05.2019 Elton John: 'Being a performer saved my life'
- 22.05.2019 Shakira and Carlos Vives beat plagiarism case
- 20.05.2019 Taylor Swift admits strange shower habit
- 19.05.2019 Sam Smith & Normani's 'Dancing With a Stranger' Hits No. 1
- 19.05.2019 Michael Jackson's Eldest Child Prince Graduates
- 15.05.2019 Taylor Swift Reacts to YouTubers' 'ME!'
- 19.05.2019 Unfinished Prince memoir gets publication date
- 15.05.2019 'Daisy Jones & the Six' goes behind the music
- 15.05.2019 P!nk and Stormzy Continue U.K. Chart Reigns
- 15.05.2019 Halsey Announces New Single 'Nightmare'
- 14.05.2019 Grandmaster Flash wins Polar Music Prize
- 14.05.2019 New releases from Amanda Palmer, Stella Donnelly
- 19.05.2019 Hozier talks about new album 'Wasteland, Baby!'
- 14.05.2019 Myspace loses 50 million songs
- 14.05.2019 Kanye West gets booed at Bonnaroo
Back to news