A Sit Down With DJ Fei-Fei
Introducing Fei-Fei, international lady of trance and techno, beatport chart topping female DJ and Producer. Girl Power is about to receive a new twist. This ferocious DJ and producer has captivated audiences worldwide with her pounding mix of trance and techno and you can be sure there's some serious competition for the male DJ's around the world. But dont let her looks deceive you-She's at the top of her game and has taken the industry by storm. In the past few years she has signed to several of the most critically acclaimed record labels in dance musicArmada Music, home to Armin Van Buuren and Vandit Records, home to Paul Van Dyk.
"Musicians should be as open-minded as possible and never limit themselves to a specific genre."
When did you start producing your own tracks?
Ive always been good at coming up with melodies. Playing the piano for so long and being surrounded by so much music you start to hear things in your head. But I guess I started formally producing a few years after I moved to California roughly four to five years ago. I started messing around with Reason, then Cubase, Logic, and now Ableton. I wasnt sure that I would get this far but I grew up believing that anything was possible if you worked hard enough. Im also incredibly lucky to have had some good friends show me things along the way and always encouraging me. Without them I wouldnt be where I am today.
Do you use software or hardware when producing?
All software baby. Well I guess my guitar is the exception.
What do you consider to be your biggest break that launched your DJ career?
There isnt one thing. Such a misconception. It takes years and years of hustling and working super hard for everything to finally pay off. People may look at an artist and pin point a big break but thats usually not the case. Its never one thing or an overnight success. So hustle hard, takes undying passion and hard work to get there but it will pay off!
How did you get your first regular gig at Club Red in LA?
I had just moved to Los Angeles and some friends dragged me out one evening and told me to bring my records. I guess it was some sort of open decks house party and they said I might get a chance to play. So I eagerly did so and waited and waited and waited until pretty late, so late that the police showed up and almost busted the party! I was dead tired at this point but luckily the party went on and I was up next. I played for about 30 minutes and afterwards one of the owners of Club Red came up and offered a gig right there and then. He said, how would you like to come and play for us at Red? You dont often hear of getting a gig this way so I said, hell, yeah! Looking back I was incredibly lucky to have been in the right place at the right time.
Who influences your sound?
Debussy, Paul van Dyk, Garbage, Richie Hawtin, Joey Medina, John Askew, DJ Preach, John Acquaviva, Adam Beyer, Carl Cox, Armin van Buuren, Eddie Halliwell, Bissen, John OCallaghan and the list could go on! Seriously, too many to name!
Formerly you were known as a trance DJ. Only few artists are brave enough to make a 360 degree career move. When did you decide to do it and how do you enjoy it so far?
I always follow inspiration. And going back to always growing and evolving as an artist, the more diverse you can be I think the better. These days people are so much more open minded and music is just one hot mess. Everything is being influenced by everything, its really exciting to see and be a part of. When did it happen? I cant pinpoint a day, its constantly moving and changing and Ive always championed a really diverse style.
Perhaps a favourite Artist from the "Non Dance Music" genre?
Easy. Paramore. I remixed their hit song Crushcrushcrush. Definitely check them out, they're one of my favs.
Whats your most embarrassing moment?
Not really. Im a tough cookie to crack. Although if you sing happy birthday to me with a gang of people and do the whole cake and candle thing I might get a little bit red.
- 22.05.2019 Selena Gomez at Cannes 2019
- 22.05.2019 Here Are the Lyrics to Taylor Swift's 'ME!,'
- 22.05.2019 Why Gwyneth Paltrow Has Worked Hard'
- 20.05.2019 Netherlands wins Eurovision
- 22.05.2019 Julia Roberts Reveals Why Shes Never Watched Game of Thrones
- 22.05.2019 Elton John: 'Being a performer saved my life'
- 22.05.2019 Shakira and Carlos Vives beat plagiarism case
- 20.05.2019 Taylor Swift admits strange shower habit
- 19.05.2019 Sam Smith & Normani's 'Dancing With a Stranger' Hits No. 1
- 19.05.2019 Michael Jackson's Eldest Child Prince Graduates
- 15.05.2019 Taylor Swift Reacts to YouTubers' 'ME!'
- 19.05.2019 Unfinished Prince memoir gets publication date
- 15.05.2019 'Daisy Jones & the Six' goes behind the music
- 15.05.2019 P!nk and Stormzy Continue U.K. Chart Reigns
- 15.05.2019 Halsey Announces New Single 'Nightmare'
- 14.05.2019 Grandmaster Flash wins Polar Music Prize
- 14.05.2019 New releases from Amanda Palmer, Stella Donnelly
- 19.05.2019 Hozier talks about new album 'Wasteland, Baby!'
- 14.05.2019 Myspace loses 50 million songs
- 14.05.2019 Kanye West gets booed at Bonnaroo
Back to news