The Official Global DJ Rankings presents Infected Mushroom: #1 from Israel, #1 Psy Trance
Infected Mushroom is a DJ duo out of Israel that’s spectacular for many reasons. The duo was formed in the end of 1997 by producers Erez Eisen and Amit Duvdevani. The project has evolved into something truly special as Infected Mushroom is the #1 act out of Israel's 97 ranked DJs according to The Official Global DJ Rankings. They’re also #1 in the psychedelic trance genre out of 149 psy trance DJs in the rankings.
It is amazing to see, that Infected Mushroom is #42 in the overall DJ Ranking. The next psy trance DJ is 70 spots down, DJ Simon Patterson at #112. What’s spectacular about Infected Mushroom’s high place is that they’ve managed to become so successful in a ranking that is mainly dominated by house, techno, trance and dubstep.
The success didn’t come out of nowhere, though. Erez Eisen (born on September 8 1980) started learning organ at the early age of 4 and classical piano in Haifa Conservatory from the age of 8. As a 11 year old kid he got himself involved with computerized music. Amit Duvdevani (born on November 7 1974) started playing the piano at seven years of age. After 9 years of practice he turned to heavy metal and punk rock, to play the keys at Enzyme. His life changed as he attended his first trance oriented party in 1991. After that he was destined to make and play trance, in particular goa and psy trance himself.
’The Gathering’ was the first album they released in 1999 after playing together for a year by then. This was an instant breakthrough introducing psy trance to Israeli mainstream audiences and the genre worldwide. ’Classical Mushroom’ was released in 2000, and remains as one of the best example’s of Infected Mushroom and one of the most well-known albums in the genre overall. Listen to ’Bust a Move’, a generic Infected Mushroom track from the ’Classical Mushroom.’
After that Eisen and Duvden started to experiment more showcasing their piano skills in the ’B.P Empire’ (2001). ’Converting Vegetarians’ (2003) consisted of two discs: The Trance Side and The Other Side. This is genre bending material that also includes Duvdev’s vocal debut in the title track as well as the highlight of the album ’Elation Station’(listen below). ’IM The Supervisor’ saw the daylight in 2004. This is their best-selling album up to date.
IM moved from their Haifa base to a studio in L.A in 2004, where talented guitarists Thomas Cunningham and Erez Netz joined the group in 2004 and Brazilian percussionist Rogerio Jardim in 2007. Nothing short of spectacular arose from these changes. In the Djmag Top 100 DJ polls, Infected Mushroom rose to #9 and were the highest placed and paid psytrance DJs in the category’s 2007 debut appearance. The same year, 'Vicious Delicious' got released after 3 years’ efforts. Critics have claimed this one to be the most diverse and refined effort of Infected Mushroom to this day. Hip-hop influenced ’Artillery’, Spanish guitars in ’Becoming Insane’, the album consisted of many inter-genre tracks as well as guest vocalists. ’Heavyweight’ is one of the tracks to be lifted from ’Vicious Delicious’, you got to crank it up and give this one some time, this one’s packed with unexpected twists and turns.
The band’s latest release ’Army of Mushrooms’ was released in May, 2012 under Steve Aoki’s Dim Mak Records. This is a respectable album where Eisen and Duvden have tried their hand in mixing their old tastes with new dubstep, house and drum and bass influences.
So in conclusion, one must admit Infected Mushroom's success isn’t that surprising. Psy trance is immensely popular in Israel. What gives rise for great respect is the fact, that the group has managed to do their thing authentically and at the same time go with the flow in a sense. They’ve never gotten caught in one genre incorporating new influences with taste and proficiency.
And finally, an example of the IM’s latest efforts. This one’s called ’Swingish’, it's so good, you'll be wondering why in the world would this be a 'bonus track' on the record.
- 22.05.2019 Selena Gomez at Cannes 2019
- 22.05.2019 Here Are the Lyrics to Taylor Swift's 'ME!,'
- 22.05.2019 Why Gwyneth Paltrow Has Worked Hard'
- 20.05.2019 Netherlands wins Eurovision
- 22.05.2019 Julia Roberts Reveals Why Shes Never Watched Game of Thrones
- 22.05.2019 Elton John: 'Being a performer saved my life'
- 22.05.2019 Shakira and Carlos Vives beat plagiarism case
- 20.05.2019 Taylor Swift admits strange shower habit
- 19.05.2019 Sam Smith & Normani's 'Dancing With a Stranger' Hits No. 1
- 19.05.2019 Michael Jackson's Eldest Child Prince Graduates
- 15.05.2019 Taylor Swift Reacts to YouTubers' 'ME!'
- 19.05.2019 Unfinished Prince memoir gets publication date
- 15.05.2019 'Daisy Jones & the Six' goes behind the music
- 15.05.2019 P!nk and Stormzy Continue U.K. Chart Reigns
- 15.05.2019 Halsey Announces New Single 'Nightmare'
- 14.05.2019 Grandmaster Flash wins Polar Music Prize
- 14.05.2019 New releases from Amanda Palmer, Stella Donnelly
- 19.05.2019 Hozier talks about new album 'Wasteland, Baby!'
- 14.05.2019 Myspace loses 50 million songs
- 14.05.2019 Kanye West gets booed at Bonnaroo
Back to news