DDJ-SX or the Felix-set-up?

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: DDJ-SX or the Felix-set-up?Reply
DDJ-SX or the Felix-set-up?
Posted on: 25.09.2013 by Trula Willadsen
Hi! Quick story; Since a couple of months I've been registered as a DJ at the Chamber Of Commerce. This means I have to pay taxes over the profits I make. Long tax story short, I want to sell my privately owned T1 and invest money I made DJ'ing into a new set up so I have to pay less taxes in 6 months.

Have DDJ-T1, am in love with the SX. Told myself to wait for the DDJ-TX (guess they would've called a Traktor version like that). However, the SX has almost been a year on the market now and there is still no talk of a TX. Then I saw the Felix with the X1's video and I fell in love. 2 x X1, an Audio 10 soundcard and your pretty much done cause almost any place has a mixer. The freedom of not having to carry 8kg+ around anymore is so tempting! However, this comes at a price as well.

The options!
DDJ-SX = €930,-. It offers me a mixer with room for add-ons. I can easily plug in a live musician (I sometimes play with a live sax) and it's pretty much just an awesome machine. Would need to learn how to use Serato though (but am interested in Serato VJ as well!).

Pro's
+ Looks awesome!!
+ All-in-one
+ Price / resale value (it's Pioneer...)
+ Build quality
+ Could be mapped to Traktor...
+ Option for Serato VJ

Cons
- Need to learn to operate Serato (but don't necessarily see this as a minus)
- Even more heavy than my DDJ-T1
- Not sure if I will use half of its functionality

Kontrol X1 MK2 x 2 + new Audio 10 = €675,-. I've already purchased Traktor Pro 2. Thing is; I'm planning on doing more weddings and mobile gigs so not having a mixer might become a problem. I guess I can solve this problem with buying a Z1 for an addition €190. But I would also need two stands for the X1's to place them at mixer hight at €45,- each. €955,- grand total. More expensive than the SX. But way easier to transport with public transportation (right?) or on a plane.

Pro's
+ Very mobile set-up (max 3 kg's inc cables and usb-hub)
+ Traktor, so no need to learn new software
+ Very flexible set-up
+ Looks really slick as well
+ Option for expansion if I would ever get more creative

Cons
- Price, I'm not sure if I really want to spend Pioneer money on non-Pioneer products
- I won't have a cdj-feel like the DDJ-SX offers (no platters etc)
- Is it really so portable? It needs a lot of setting-up (much more cables needed)
- I'm just really hot for the SX...

What would you guys suggest? I barely have any gigs where I can just show up with a USB-stick only. If there aren't USB-ready CDJ's I'd rather bring my own set-up. I guess 95% of all my gigs require me to do so. I play on average 3 times a week and carrying around alot of KG's all the time is starting to irritate me. Especially if I play across the country and have to carry a second bag with clothes and stuff as well.

TL;DR
The SX is like Gisele B
Trula Willadsen
Hi! Quick story; Since a couple of months I've been registered as a DJ at the Chamber Of Commerce. This means I have to pay taxes over the profits I make. Long tax story short, I want to sell my privately owned T1 and invest money I made DJ'ing into a new set up so I have to pay less taxes in 6 months.

Have DDJ-T1, am in love with the SX. Told myself to wait for the DDJ-TX (guess they would've called a Traktor version like that). However, the SX has almost been a year on the market now and there is still no talk of a TX. Then I saw the Felix with the X1's video and I fell in love. 2 x X1, an Audio 10 soundcard and your pretty much done cause almost any place has a mixer. The freedom of not having to carry 8kg+ around anymore is so tempting! However, this comes at a price as well.

The options!
DDJ-SX = €930,-. It offers me a mixer with room for add-ons. I can easily plug in a live musician (I sometimes play with a live sax) and it's pretty much just an awesome machine. Would need to learn how to use Serato though (but am interested in Serato VJ as well!).

Pro's
+ Looks awesome!!
+ All-in-one
+ Build quality
+ Option for Serato VJ

Cons

Kontrol X1 MK2 x 2 + new Audio 10 = €675,-. I've already purchased Traktor Pro 2. Thing is; I'm planning on doing more weddings and mobile gigs so not having a mixer might become a problem. I guess I can solve this problem with buying a Z1 for an addition €190. But I would also need two stands for the X1's to place them at mixer hight at €45,- each. €955,- grand total. More expensive than the SX. But way easier to transport with public transportation (right?) or on a plane.

Pro's
+ Very flexible set-up

Cons
- Price, I'm not sure if I really want to spend Pioneer money on non-Pioneer products
- Is it really so portable? It needs a lot of setting-up (much more cables needed)

What would you guys suggest? I barely have any gigs where I can just show up with a USB-stick only. If there aren't USB-ready CDJ's I'd rather bring my own set-up. I guess 95% of all my gigs require me to do so. I play on average 3 times a week and carrying around alot of KG's all the time is starting to irritate me. Especially if I play across the country and have to carry a second bag with clothes and stuff as well.

TL;DR
The SX is like Gisele B
Trula Willadsen

The options!

Pro's
+ Looks awesome!!
+ All-in-one
+ Build quality
+ Option for Serato VJ

Cons

Pro's
+ Very flexible set-up

Cons

TL;DR
The SX is like Gisele B
Trula Willadsen

The options!

Pro's
+ Looks awesome!!
+ All-in-one
+ Build quality
+ Option for Serato VJ

Cons

Pro's
+ Very flexible set-up

Cons

TL;DR
The SX is like Gisele B
Trula Willadsen

The options!

Pro's
+ Looks awesome!!
+ All-in-one
+ Build quality
+ Option for Serato VJ

Cons

Pro's
+ Very flexible set-up

Cons

TL;DR
The SX is like Gisele B
Trula Willadsen

The options!

Pro's
+ Looks awesome!!
+ All-in-one
+ Build quality
+ Option for Serato VJ

Cons

Pro's
+ Very flexible set-up

Cons

TL;DR
The SX is like Gisele B
Trula Willadsen

The options!

Pro's
+ Looks awesome!!
+ All-in-one
+ Build quality
+ Option for Serato VJ

Cons

Pro's
+ Very flexible set-up

Cons

TL;DR
The SX is like Gisele B
Trula Willadsen

The options!

Pro's
+ Looks awesome!!
+ All-in-one
+ Build quality
+ Option for Serato VJ

Cons

Pro's
+ Very flexible set-up

Cons

TL;DR
The SX is like Gisele B
Trula Willadsen

The options!

Pro's
+ Looks awesome!!
+ All-in-one
+ Build quality
+ Option for Serato VJ

Cons

Pro's
+ Very flexible set-up

Cons

TL;DR
The SX is like Gisele B
Trula Willadsen

The options!

Pro's
+ Looks awesome!!
+ All-in-one
+ Build quality
+ Option for Serato VJ

Cons

Pro's
+ Very flexible set-up

Cons

TL;DR
The SX is like Gisele B
Rolanda Clodfelder
Originally Posted by arsman
the x1 mk2 has touch strips. you wont need platters. of course this will be something you would get used to.
If mobile gigs were my "bread and butter" money and where space is not a problem I'd go with the SX

• Looks more "Substantial/Pro"
  • Its Pioneer = Recognized Name
  • Physical Mixer = Redundacy if Laptop Fails

How about the DDJ-SR ?

• Cheaper
  • AUX input for your Sax or Whatever
  • Lighter
  • Carry-on-luggage Size
  • Its Pioneer
  • Well Built
  • Traktor Mapping

If the Tax Break is not limited to one purchase you could pick up New Old Stock X1's just to have around.
Trula Willadsen

The options!

Pro's
+ Looks awesome!!
+ All-in-one
+ Build quality
+ Option for Serato VJ

Cons

Pro's
+ Very flexible set-up

Cons

TL;DR
The SX is like Gisele B
Alberta Jefferson
Nevermind, missed the post about u selling the T1... I was interested and had cash. lol.. but...

As for your question, I believe it would be awesome if you went the Felix route but added some midi fighters. a MF Pro, and two MF 3D's, or one Spectra and one 3D. That would be sick to see performed.
Trula Willadsen
Just sold off my DDJ-T1. If it gets picked up tomorrow I'm getting the SX tuesday. I'm just to hot for it not to buy it...
Trula Willadsen
The amount of items isn't a factor. However, I don't want to spend more than 1.000 inc 21% taxes (so 790 excluding) as I am just a student and also just bought a rMBP. That would make it about €2500,- in deductions, that's about the financial max interesting for me.

The SR is nice but I'd rather have the SX. I'm not looking into purchasing 'old' stuff. I am leaning more to the SX currently. Are the VU meters more accurate than the Traktor ones? I find it hard to see when I'm playing to loud. It's blue and bam it's red...
Rolanda Clodfelder
Originally Posted by arsman
the x1 mk2 has touch strips. you wont need platters. of course this will be something you would get used to.
If mobile gigs were my "bread and butter" money and where space is not a problem I'd go with the SX

• Looks more "Substantial/Pro"
  • Its Pioneer = Recognized Name
  • Physical Mixer = Redundacy if Laptop Fails

How about the DDJ-SR ?

• Cheaper
  • AUX input for your Sax or Whatever
  • Lighter
  • Carry-on-luggage Size
  • Its Pioneer
  • Well Built
  • Traktor Mapping

If the Tax Break is not limited to one purchase you could pick up New Old Stock X1's just to have around.
Petra Arra
Trula Willadsen
The price I've mentioned includes the Audio 10 for €299,-. That's already without the software, they still have some in stock. I do not want to buy second-hand X1's as I can't deduct anything second-hand from my taxes. So I'm really only after new. I can get 21% VAT back so it's already cheaper than most used units
Alphonso Deitchman
The Audio 2s have no input so you'd need a Line In on your laptop. You could also have a look for a used Audio 8 or 10 that comes without software (much cheaper).

Due to the new X1 Mk2 you might be able to pick up some cheap Mk1s from someone looking to upgrade.
Trula Willadsen
I normally use 4 decks, or 3 decks + live input for sax. Would that be possible with two A2's?
Alphonso Deitchman
You would only buy an Audio 10 if you wanted to use timecode, so you'd have platters too. Otherwise you're much better off money-wise with a different sound card, e.g. a couple of Audio 2s second hand (for 4 decks) will probably go for under €100.

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy