Numark 4trak - S4 killer?

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Numark 4trak - S4 killer?Reply
Numark 4trak - S4 killer?
Posted on: 16.01.2012 by Rosalie Novarro
http://www.skratchworx.com/newspage....nts&fn_id=1881

Looks like they answered my prayers (take note you naysayers about a metal device!!!)

Its the NS6 all grown up for traktor... looks incredible. Anyone wanna buy a S4 and gator bag from me?

Karyn Horath
Originally Posted by CryderSteez
LOL, all that functionality and still no usable VU meters? Am I like the only person who believes those are crucial to proper mixing?
I agree with you but it seems like most manufacturers believe dj's don't care about decent meters. The meters on almost all controllers are frankly terrible.
Tillie Sliman
Originally Posted by Eizhauz
I believe the Vestax and S4 do a nice job of this.
I would have been a nice feature on this unit. Odd exclusion.
Yeah, out of all the 4 deck all in one controllers they're the best. I've been completely spoiled by the meters on the Denon mixers though,

Originally Posted by DJQA
It's not quite the same as individual meters, but at least on the NS6 the master meters are switchable to a particular channel by a long press of the cue button.
Wow, that's horrible, just one more thing to have to remember when you're elbow deep in the mix.

All I really want is an updated Xone:4D with proper jogs/buttons/overall layout. First company to make that happen gets my dollaz dollaz.
Melinda Wubben
LOL, all that functionality and still no usable VU meters? Am I like the only person who believes those are crucial to proper mixing?
It's not quite the same as individual meters, but at least on the NS6 the master meters are switchable to a particular channel by a long press of the cue button.
Diogo Dj Dragão
Just to chime in, the 4Trak can be found pretty easily online for $499 USD. I bought mine for $399 new from GC with a price match off Musician's Friend (same company) on a Labor Day sale. The price makes it hands down the best offering in that price bracket.
Alberta Jefferson
I believe this is amazing. I've been wanting an S4 and an NS6 and this is both of those combined. Plus, I love scratching so im in love with the big jog wheels. But im posting this at the time that ne NS7-2 has been released.. I was going to go for the DDJ-SX but now I believe im definitely going for the NS7-2 due to all the new features and effects, big jogwheels like always, and its distinctive motorized jog wheels which im SO suprised no one else (besides Denon) has copied. Its such a genius idea. Anyway I still dont know what I want to upgrade to, im still rocking the S2 mK1, midi fighter, and the new X1 Mk2. Thats what scares me most about moving onto something like the NS7 or DDJ-SX... No more access to the brilliant NI hardware. So I believe I might just go ahead and try this 4trak, see how I do with a 4channel controller, or just get on with it and get my DVS setup. I have all the gear picked out and its going to cost me right about 1,000.00 exactly for the two TT's, mixer, and traktor audio 6. Ill always be able to use traktor hardware with it, and i love the S2 so much im sure ill find a way to incorporate it into my sets SOMEHOW. Sorry started to rant. If only, if ONLY the new mK2 Native s2/s4's came with bigger jog wheels they would have been PERFECT!!!!!!
Breanne Penge
and "traktor"
Nedra Fresneda
People need to stop using the terms "X killer" and "game changer" so often.
Margarite Hoogewind
I was pretty set on the s4 but decided to wait and see what namm had to offer. The 4trak definitely is a bit of a spanner in the works. I love the full metal body and big jogs but don't really dig that the line filters are separated from the rest of the channel eq's. It also makes it feel like a cop out that it's just the ns6 with a paint job and an extra attachment as opposed to a controller designed for traktor - full controls for sample slots and cue points and inbuilt FX controls. I believe I'll end up sticking to the original plan of the s4 on price, the s4 is about 950 here in Australia but the ns6 is still going for 1400 and i believe it'll be safe to assume the 4trak will be even more with it's added FX controller and all.
Rolanda Clodfelder
I agree with you but it seems like most manufacturers believe dj's don't care about decent meters
Only meter that should need worrying about is the master IMHO, individual meters really only started appearing in the early 2000's ... rely on ears, not on lights.

On the NS4 though, I believe it looks like THE most solid traktor controller out there and "almost" perfect EXCEPT I just wish there were more 8 more fx knobs or that there were at least endless ringed encoders instead of pots

Essentially its a really a 2 deck piece of gear that has a shift button just like everything else out there and a fecking soft-takeover for FX ugh ... my pet hate, why do they keep doing it !!!! arrrrrggggghhhh

The Behringer PL-1 even has 8 encoders per unit ! No switching layers needed or takeover for fx!
Karyn Horath
I agree with you but it seems like most manufacturers believe dj's don't care about decent meters. The meters on almost all controllers are frankly terrible.
Tillie Sliman
Originally Posted by Eizhauz
Yeah, out of all the 4 deck all in one controllers they're the best. I've been completely spoiled by the meters on the Denon mixers though,

Originally Posted by DJQA
Wow, that's horrible, just one more thing to have to remember when you're elbow deep in the mix.

All I really want is an updated Xone:4D with proper jogs/buttons/overall layout. First company to make that happen gets my dollaz dollaz.
Nila Ragonese
$1K.... imho too much for a reconfigured NS6.
Keith Mermer
seems like a pretty nice kit.. faders, knobs all felt good. but not too sure if $1k nice. diggin' that dedicated key knob tho
Melinda Wubben
Juliette Vensel
Gavin Rachor
What's wrong with the ones between the EQ controls? Or do you mean per-channel VU meters?
Tillie Sliman
Juliette Vensel
$1199 list (LINK)
Latoria Kavulich
analog mixer. winner
Rosalie Novarro
Originally Posted by geminimech
and it's nice to see Numark cutting a niche and building a reputation of making high quality gear.

Yeah I remember when I first started, Numark was pretty laughable and not associated with any kind of "good" gear at all... Maybe they finally hit the mark? Time will tell.
Sulema Eshel
Originally Posted by kevz718
This numark has a nice offering for ppl who want a real mixer on top of midi controller. Seems a tad expensive tho.. 1400 i believe i read?
1400 - is that dollars? On here, it's 799 sterlings ~ $1240 - whoa... that exchange rate has jumped since last time I checked - the US economy must be proper f***'d
Juliette Vensel
Originally Posted by ToOntown
While we're on this topic, the terms "amazing", "epic", "best ______ ever!", and "ridiculous" have lost their original meanings.
Like the term "friend" on facebook?

I believe the previous poster that said the controller was aimed at the timecode crowd is pretty spot on.

I don't mind the efx section up top, just curious how the previous efx faders perhaps will work in conjunction with this...???
Shonda Soulier
Originally Posted by photojojo
I believe the word killer in this context is used way to much. The market is so saturated with decent stuff that no one thing can be a killer of anything.
While we're on this topic, the terms "amazing", "epic", "best ______ ever!", and "ridiculous" have lost their original meanings.
Cliff Lohman
Originally Posted by photojojo
I believe the word killer in this context is used way to much. The market is so saturated with decent stuff that no one thing can be a killer of anything.
Agreed.. Especially with ni's products.. The fact that they make the underlying software means that they basically have secured themselves a few immortal products.

This numark has a nice offering for ppl who want a real mixer on top of midi controller. Seems a tad expensive tho.. 1400 i believe i read?

And not sure how i feel about the placement of the efx top section..
Melinda Wubben
It's for a different target segment, it's not meant to be an S4 "killer" as such, which is probably one reason why NI was willing to collaborate with Numark on it. The VCI-400 was more aimed at being a direct S4 competitor, and less surprisingly Vestax didn't get access to the HID mode (who knows if they asked, of course).

What this is, is a replacement for a 2xCDJ/mixer/X1/Audio8/TSP combo... Close in concept to the Pioneer DDJ-T1, but seemingly higher quality, with more controls, and cheaper. Considering what the CDJ+timecode setup costs, it's a bargain if it keeps its promises.

I will get this because of the large jogs and the long pitch faders, not in spite of them. Timecode support would only make sense for use with turntables, and for that the big jogs and faders would be useless - but knowing how big the 4trak is, I doubt many would want to add a pair of 1200s to the width.

Edit: Looks like the Pioneer has come down in price handsomely, so this will be more expensive than the T1. Makes sense, as you get more. I just fear what the European price will be...
Juliette Vensel
Once again it only proves that not one controller is going to be the 'answer'.

I like that they addressed the things that bothered me about the S4 - build quality, booth outs, stand-alone mixer.

I also however an not a fan of the huge jogwheels. I believe the VCI-400 did the best in this category. I like the VCI's pads as well, larger more tactile.

To each his own... when someone can finally put out a controller that addresses ALL these things people are 'hoping' for in a controller, then and only then will it likely be a "(insert name of controller) killer".
Emanuel Kepics
Originally Posted by SoRNDM
Am I the only one, that finds this thing pretty ugly?
Doesn't do it for me either.
Clinton Voran
Originally Posted by Willy b00m
Does this have timecode available? thats what i like the most on my S4. Looks pretty neat otherwise but i would still go for the s4
Looks like you'll still need a NI audio interface for this to get Scratch Pro to work on it (4trak).
Willene Hekimian
Does this have timecode available? thats what i like the most on my S4. Looks pretty neat otherwise but i would still go for the s4
Clinton Voran
I believe the S4 has more competition from the VCI-400 than it does from the 4trak.
Roseline Canright
I hate the huge jog wheels in the middle crammed up in there. Easy to accidentally nudge or bump it with your arm when you're grabbing the effects or buttons up top
Melinda Wubben
Looks great, exactly what I hoped it would be!

They go on about tight jog response and 14-bit MIDI, I really hope they've nailed it... and that they've also nailed the pitch fader resolution - this is one of the rare controllers with 10 cm faders, it would be a shame if they weren't super accurate to boot. If they haven't botched the jog and pitch response, I'm deffo getting one.

And, while I wouldn't have thought bad of Numark if they had just kept the NS6 colour scheme, I don't believe it's ugly. Rather retro.

Edit: It's about damn time that someone included pitch (key) adjustment in a controller's default mapping. Me like. It's probably meant to be used in halfsteps by the looks of it, but I'd map it to adjust fine pitch with a modifier key as well - always those pesky old tracks that are not quite in 440Hz tune...

Edit: Split cue - major win!
Penni Cartier
Am I the only one, that finds this thing pretty ugly?
Kecia Wnukowski
Not talking about the product being a killer of anyhting but if I had to pick some features: the on/off buttons for filters are nice, the touch strips, the rec button, and more than anything else the two sets of encoders/push buttons and small faders that can be used to control fx units 3&4 are very good points for me.
Verlene Geevarghese
I'll admit that this is a pretty slick looking controller that seems to hit upon every feature the S4 does and then some (needle search), and it's nice to see Numark cutting a niche and building a reputation of making high quality gear.
Verlene Geevarghese
Originally Posted by Jay Wilde
STILL WONDERING WHEN PIONEER IS GONNA WAKE UP ALSO....
I believe Pioneer is done with NI and trying to make a "Professional" Traktor controller. They got burned pretty hard with the first one as it shipped with a pretty outdated version of Traktor, while the S4 was hitting the shelves with the first versions of Traktor 2. There have been plenty of competent mappings that have been produced (and you can make them yourself with a little time) that utilize the sample decks, but clearly if that's what you're after the s4 outshines it in spades.

They'll continue to produce starter controllers with Traktor mappings that sell like hotcakes (DDJ-ERGO), but honestly to make a controller that pigeonholes itself with one type of software really isn't the thing to do anymore anyway. It behooves manufacturers to produce generalized controllers that don't have a "one software fits all" mentality, unless it's an Itch controller.
Shay Wyche
Also, only one VU meter.
Leeanna Ayla
Melinda Shick
Originally Posted by oliosky
standalone mixer is a smart move
100%, i believe it will do well off that alone.
Johnetta Olewine
standalone mixer is a smart move

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy