MP-X10/Versadeck/Synchron/DMC2000/DJinn/S20 firmware update - programmers please help

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: MP-X10/Versadeck/Synchron/DMC2000/DJinn/S20 firmware update - programmers please helpReply
MP-X10/Versadeck/Synchron/DMC2000/DJinn/S20 firmware update - programmers please help
Posted on: 20.11.2011 by Sulema Eshel
Note: Started new thread as the Voxoa S60 thread (current thread) will not be found when people search for MP-X10/Syncron etc, or people won't realise that the Voxoa S60 is actually a clone of their deck. This is why I tried to include all variations of this deck in the title.
DJTT Mods: If this is wrong, then delete my account and bar me for life - or just move my post into the S60 one, but it really needs to be retitled with ALL the names of this oft-cloned controller!

Quick Info: Need help flashing/modifing the Citronic MP-X10's firmware with the firmware from another (identical) unit:

Details: I have the Citronic MP-X10 MP3/MIDI unit.

It's also known as:

American Audio Versadeck

Synq DMC2000

Audiophony DJinn

Akiyama Synchron

Voxoa S60 (sounds more like a car!)

... there may be (and most probably are) more aliases for this unit. Actual unit made by HANPIN (Taiwan).

They are all the same hardware spec (as far as I can tell). HOWEVER the firmware is different:
The DMC2000/Synchron units have beat-synched FX, whereas on the Citronic the fx are timed in ms... annoying having to calculate 60/bpm all the time to get the ms value of a beat - also impossible to go from 2/1 to 1/1 quickly. Also the Synchron has autoloop (like Traktor's), so no need to be highly (frame) accurate on loops.

So... I tried to flash my unit with the Synchron unit's firmware, but without success. I am unsure on this, but have looked through the DSP firmware files (all in gobbledegook) and it seems that the header of the Synchron's fw file is at the footer of the Citronic's. The main firmwares though look almost identical (some extra stuff in there on the synchron's, and a different name of the unit in the f/w (obviously - but is this what is stopping the f/w from taking?)).

NOW, is there any way to decompile the firmwares in order that I can hack it and get the Synchron's Firmware loaded on to my MP-X10?

I include Citronic's and the Synchron's firmware files, for info. Of the files enclosed, the ones starting U are the Citronic ones that are currently on my unit. The ones starting C are the Synchron ones that I want to use. Also, the larger file (UDJ202C1100_AL.BIN and C0202FC1400.BIN) is for the unit, and the smaller 448k file (udj20206_avsl.bin & c202f_05.bin) is for the DSP on the unit.

UPDATE: Couldn't get DJTT upload working, so files are available hyar:[ame="http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TS6FFERL"]MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service[/ame]

If anyone knows of a way how to do this, or can point me in the directon of how to (I have worked in IT fixing PCs for 15+ years, so I have a reasonable idea of what I am doing... it's just that I cannot program!). Dunno if decompiling the FW is possible, but if I could, it would help a lot.

Many thanks in advance for any advice or info. I really want to work this out, as Citronic have never updated their firmware since I got my unit, and since then Sync have introduced better track search (by letter) and BPM-linked FX, THEN Akiyama have introduced the autoloop funtion.. I want to be able to flash my unit with the newest (usually best) firmware available to get all these functions! Not just for now either, but in the future as well (e.g. if new features get added on to the DeeJing Q7 unit (yet to be released!)).

I am sure that there must be other DJTT readers out there with incarnations of this unit - it's a good bit of kit already, let's try to make it kickass!

Thanks again,

escapemcp

Citronic MP-X10, Behringer BCD3000, Echo Layla 3G, Numark EM-460 with built in Kaoss Pad, Win7/MacOS dual boot
Carletta Riemer
It can't be that tough to add FLAC support and get rid of the progressive ramp-up on the internal mode jog pitch bend. MP3 is not a more complicated standard and FLAC is an open, free standard. It wouldn't surprise me if the core of the firmware that is involved in decoding was purchased from yet another third party (even compared to the actual hardware OEM) and they have no idea how that stuff works. Sync or their hardware OEM may just be altering the higher-level code that surrounds the USB player section core code that plays the music. Because that is a tiny little fix they just did for your units. And ours didn't suffer it, so maybe they were using an older firmware than ours and just switched.

On a side note, the USB internal playback mode does not have frame-accurate looping and loop editing. It's in crude chunks. I
Carletta Riemer
It can't be that tough to add FLAC support and get rid of the progressive ramp-up on the internal mode jog pitch bend. MP3 is not a more complicated standard and FLAC is an open, free standard. It wouldn't surprise me if the core of the firmware that is involved in decoding was purchased from yet another third party (even compared to the actual hardware OEM) and they have no idea how that stuff works. Sync or their hardware OEM may just be altering the higher-level code that surrounds the USB player section core code that plays the music. Because that is a tiny little fix they just did for your units. And ours didn't suffer it, so maybe they were using an older firmware than ours and just switched.

On a side note, the USB internal playback mode does not have frame-accurate looping and loop editing. It's in crude chunks. I
Carletta Riemer

Carletta Riemer

Sulema Eshel
Originally Posted by Reticuli
It's using the wheel for pitch bending that becomes a problem with the proximity of the pitch fader for me some times. The wheel is not tall enough to get your fingers around it to rotate freely without hitting the fader.
Yeah, on scratch mode, I can see how this would be an issue.
Carletta Riemer

Isabell Deveau
Originally Posted by escapemcp
I tried to get the American Audio ASIO driver working (they didn't supply one or make one available for download for my MP-X10!), and just found it to be a rebadged (only just!) asio4all driver.
Well. American Audio licensed the driver of http://usb-audio.com which is not the same as "Asio4All". However it seems to be some universal driver as well. No idea if it would run better than "Asio4All".

I really don`t know why Citronic does not support that unit anymore after a FEW months. Thats evil.

I can post my modifications later on here.
Sulema Eshel
Originally Posted by sakaana
Hey all,
I own the "DMC-2000". What to say, i`m generally fine with it. The only real bad thing is: Synq doesn`t provide an ASIO driver so you have to stay with Asio4All which isn`t running that well.

Now i saw that the other companies licensed the driver from "usb-audio.com" - i`m wondering if i could get my device to work with it? I changed some "guild class" ID into the ini`s and at least the device is found by the driver. But after a reboot you can`t select the device into the ASIO panel of the driver...i don`t have that much clue about the things i have to change into the ini files. Anyone?
Why i want to have lower latency? Well, i own Mixvibes Cross as well and i want to use my timecode vinyls...

BTW: My firmware info: CON 13 / DSP 12

I will reply to the post before later on when i checked all the things with my device. Would be real interesting to see if the unit will act different.
I tried to get the American Audio ASIO driver working (they didn't supply one or make one available for download for my MP-X10!), and just found it to be a rebadged (only just!) asio4all driver. A bit stupid by Citronic (for not supplying an ASIO driver), as I was unable to get the 2 stereo outputs working without Asio4all (hmm... possible excuse for an RMA??? - I want the Synchron unit due to its' superior FX )

Which drivers did you download to try to get working (by changing GUID)... I would be interested to see/fiddle with them. Thanks for the f/w info - going to compare to mine toevening .

Thanks

P.S. You shouldn't have to 'justify' wanting an ASIO driver i.e. "Why i want to have lower latency?" - it is a requirement for any sort of decent interaction with Traktor, even non DVS.
Sulema Eshel
So I'm ryansupak, now? Heh heh.
Oops... copy & paste from another post

And when I'm talking about a 0.05% pitch limit, I meant in internal USB mode. 10-bit pitch faders are capable of better resolution at 10% and 6%, so hopefully the firmware can be improved to allow that, too. I don't know about yours, but in internal USB mode mine is 0.05 resolution at all pitch ranges. In DVS, you're already getting the best resolution you can with 10-bit. You get slightly better than 0.05% resolution at 16% range and even better as you go down in range. Try looking at how the BPM changes when the DVS doesn't show many tempo decimals.
Yeah, I was looking at the BPM in Traktor when controlled by DVS... couldn't get it to change at all WITHOUT the on-lcd %age display on the unit changing. When you say 0.05% at all pitch ranges, how can you tell? My %age meter only shows 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 etc (@ +/- 6%). When moving it between these 'points', I don't get any change in Traktor bpm (so the unit is not outputting, say a 0.25 speed, only 0.2 or 0.3) - this is in internal USB mode, which is then controlling Traktor via timecode. BPM doesn't change at all (unless I 'tap' in a tempo - will try this soon), due to the 2kHz timecode signal (damn, no beats!! )

Originally Posted by Santa Claus - Ho Ho Ho :)
And the OEM really should have used 14-bit pitch faders when going 100mm. 10-bit faders only need to be 60mm long, as on 10-bit 100mm faders very small motions will go unregistered. With a 100mm 14-bit fader, even the smallest movement of the fader does something. Here, as in the Xponent, you have to watch the tempo or bpm to ensure you actually did something. Still, at least in internal USB mode, there is room for more resolution at 10% and 6%. The way it is in mine, I just leave it at 16% when running off an external drive, as you don
Carletta Riemer

You get two stereo outs regardless of whether the mixer is set to MIDI or Mixer. In Mixer mode the two get sent to each side of the mixer and the mixer works as a mixer. In live use, you essentially would always want to use Mixer mode and send ch1/ch2 to the unit. In MIDI mode, the unit sends one stereo channel to the unit's output section and the other to the unit's headphone section. This allows you to send master and headphone separately while using the DVS internal mixer. It also gives you cue/prgm panning. The problem is, in MIDI mode the same headphone signal is present on both sides of the mini crossfader, causing a loud summing in the middle on top of whatever the mini crossfader in the DVS is doing.

I was also talking about when playing files from USB drives internally or when in Mixer Mode, that the firmware might be tweakable so that hitting the master meter button also sends pgrm/output signal to the headphones. If it's a digital mixer in there or has a DSP controlling the analog audio routing, then it should be possible.

And when I'm talking about a 0.05% pitch limit, I meant in internal USB mode. 10-bit pitch faders are capable of better resolution at 10% and 6%, so hopefully the firmware can be improved to allow that, too. I don't know about yours, but in internal USB mode mine is 0.05 resolution at all pitch ranges. In DVS, you're already getting the best resolution you can with 10-bit. You get slightly better than 0.05% resolution at 16% range and even better as you go down in range. Try looking at how the BPM changes when the DVS doesn't show many tempo decimals.

And the OEM really should have used 14-bit pitch faders when going 100mm. 10-bit faders only need to be 60mm long, as on 10-bit 100mm faders very small motions will go unregistered. With a 100mm 14-bit fader, even the smallest movement of the fader does something. Here, as in the Xponent, you have to watch the tempo or bpm to ensure you actually did something. Still, at least in internal USB mode, there is room for more resolution at 10% and 6%. The way it is in mine, I just leave it at 16% when running off an external drive, as you don
Sulema Eshel
DISCONTINUED is a bad sign. It means no more support. Wow. Isn't Citronix the Euro branding of ADJ, or am I believeing of another brand?
I believe so... they certainly have a lot of similar items in their catalogue. Most of these are made by Hanpin in Taiwan, so not sure if they are just buying up these OEM units and rebranding, and therefore may be totally seperate companies. Citronic is owned by AVSL - not sure about AA tho'.

Originally Posted by ryansupak
On a related note, if you are doing MIDI and use the unit's soundcard with pgrm/cue channel assignments, the mini crossfader becomes a problem due to the cue signal being doubled on both sides and very loud in the middle. When in MIDI mode, I either use a different USB ASIO soundcard with it, change the cue blender to a different control and leave the mini crossfader on one side of the other, or I use it with ch1/ch2 routing instead.
On mine, I get the option in settings to change the mixer mode to internal or midi. In mixer mode, the mixer always runs as a mixer with 2 stereo outs being presented to the pc/mac. Problem with this is that you can't use the hi/mid/lo/gain knobs for midi mapping. In midi mode, the mixer works as a midi mixer when BOTH ch1&2 are set to PC (whatever it's called - switch to right). When only 1 channel is set to PC then the sound enters channel 1 - if you have um, channel 1 set to PC and ch2 set to internal/line, then the mixer runs in internal (non-midi) mode, and you get the VU meters on ch1 metering what is coming out of ch1 (controlled by the actual sound, not by a midi output from traktor (hope that makes sense!). Will play around with the HP cue volume thing toevening .
I would assume the master could be sent to the headphone when in internal USB mode. It's not a huge deal (earbuds under over-ear headphones works fine for practice), but I assume it's just software telling the audio signal where to route. Maybe the soundcard channels are hardwired into specific spots, but I kind of doubt it. I'll cross my fingers for that one.
Um... not too sure what you are getting at... in midi mode, you get 2 stereo outs. One goes to master, the other to headphone... am I missing something here? (probably! )

I mean it getting stuck when in vinyl internal USB mode and you rewind back. You can see the buffer empty. It gets stuck. This wouldn't be so bad if there was also a faster search method with the wheel. A button or something you could press and the jog moves you around fast, but without a nice vinyl scratch sound.
Again, will test toevening .

The internal USB jog bend definitely needs fixing to get rid of the ramp up. Good (or I guess unfortunate for you) to see this is not just ADJ's version. I hate using pitch bend buttons. I'd be fine with those being removed and replaced with pitch range up & pitch range down. Oh, on that point... a USB internal mode soft takeover for the pitch fader might be nice, but I suppose is unnecessary with the current 0.05 pitch resolution. You might as well keep the range at 16%, since lower ranges do not allow finer increments.
+1 on the ramp up

Not too sure on those 0.05 pitch resolution claims... ripped a Traktor CD to get the test tone, then put it on a USB stick. Ran that into a mate's Traktor Scratch, and used the pitch sliders. The BPM within Traktor ONLY changed when the unit's on-screen %-age changed.... in 6% this is 0.1 accuracy. I couldn't get Traktor to detect any movement between the 0.1 change! This will therefore be true for anything played through the unit in internal mode! - I *believe* I tested this with +-16% (and only got 1% resolution)... will verify toevening .
My top concern at this point, besides ADJ's firmware update promise and unknown timeline, is wav file playback glitches when in internal USB mode.
Will test toevening .
So if ADJ or the OEM doesn
Carletta Riemer
The DJ Tech U3 appears to have come out in the non-U.S. market and looks to have the newest firmware yet. Anyone tried it or have the firmware?
Carletta Riemer
AIFF support is the solution. It's a similar & simple RAW PCM container as WAV and can be decoded linearly and on-the-fly, supposedly unlike FLAC. And it has tagging, so the database utility would work on it and allow reasonable track searches. I've been having a discussion on the Pioneer community , and this is the solution that Pioneer, Denon, and Gemini have come to for lossless support on players with limited memory but adaptable firmware.

So the firmware needs the following changes for sure:

AIFF support
Jog rotation in internal mode changed from time-based to rate-based
Resolve the conflicts between moving the pitch slider and rotating the jog bend
Sensitivity adjustment for jog rotation in Options

Other firmware improvements that are more difficult but possible purely in firmware:

Fast track scan mode
Improved MP3 decoding sound quality
Frame-accurate bpm-synced loops and loop editing
Key tag and BPM tag recognition by the database utility and search modes
BPM-synced effect mode (other brandings of it appear to already have this)

Possible improvements that may or may not be possible in firmware alone:

Prgm\master monitoring in headphones
Split-cue in headphones
Routing internal USB transport mode into Inputs back into ASIO to computer, so called Hybrid Mode
Sulema Eshel
It's using the wheel for pitch bending that becomes a problem with the proximity of the pitch fader for me some times. The wheel is not tall enough to get your fingers around it to rotate freely without hitting the fader.
Yeah, on scratch mode, I can see how this would be an issue.
Carletta Riemer
It's using the wheel for pitch bending that becomes a problem with the proximity of the pitch fader for me some times. The wheel is not tall enough to get your fingers around it to rotate freely without hitting the fader. And in touch mode you absolutely cannot have anything remotely near the surface of the jog. I would have preferred maybe a small non-sensitive area around the top for safety. It's very easy to accidentally stop it. In attempting not to do that, it's easy to bump the pitch fader. The solution is to obviously keep your fingers away from the pitch fader side of the jog. I don't believe they are sunk in enough. But of course, you don't believe the mixer section is raised sufficiently...

The 10bit faders are a shame in function. They are no better than an Xponent. Acceptable with the proper babysitting (unlike 7/8bit which is worthless), but dated and inexcusable nonetheless. 14bit would have rocked for this. When in internal mode, they could still get better than .05 res with 10bit faders here if the firmware ever gets a good upgrade to fix the jog bend and add FLAC support. But 14bit MIDI faders is a whole other world.
Sulema Eshel
It has never been a problem before, but as the unit was high up, I was resting my knuckle (top one, nearest the fingernail - is that even a knuckle??!) to the right of the xfader, but that would mean that now and then, my lower knuckle of the 2 (the real knuckle, I believe) could hit CUP!

Jogs and pitch are pretty close, but have never found it an issue - especially as the pitch fader is sunk into the unit. Love the feel of the pitch slider though... haven't felt many better, other than obligatory 1210s!
Carletta Riemer
Oh, scratching with the x-fader? Huh. I guess there isn't a huge amount of room considering how compact the unit is, but the mixer section is at least raised. I believe my only physical problem with the unit's layout was the pitch fader and jog wheel proximity.
Sulema Eshel
Used the MP-X10 the other day at a free party. I had to use it on a bit of foam perched on a 1210, and found that as it was up so high, my right hand index finger knuckle kept hitting CUP on deck 2 when I was using the Xfader. Cocked up 3 mixes that way. Other than that, it performed well. May take a stanley knife (exacto-something in US speak), to the CUP button to make it flush with the case.
Carletta Riemer

Isabell Deveau
At least Synq seems to be still working on that unit. A new firmware is available. However the only change is that crossfader fix. Before when the crossfader was set to "off" it was "on" and the other way.

No other changes.

09 Feb 2012 - update
++++++++++++++++++++
--> software versions after update: CON14+DSP12

BUGFIX: Crossfader on/off option in the setup menu was inversed,
* While the crossfader was switched on in the setup menu,
it was actually switched off.
* While the crossfader was switched off in the setup menu,
it was actually switched on.

I don`t know if the program the firmware by themself or if it was done by the OEM.
Carletta Riemer
I sent a quiry to American DJ checking on the revised firmware they said they'd try to get an engineering agreement for. Hopefully they get back to me within the next week and a half, since that's when my 90 days for this unit from the Amazon vendor expires for a return. It's just sitting under a plastic garbage bag on top of the box right now not getting much use as just a controller. If they remain quiet or it's a no go on firmware within that time, I'll have to return it. So very close to a keeper.
Isabell Deveau
I believe we just need somebody to modify that "Voxoa" or "American Audio" licensed "usb-audio.com" driver. As i posted before, i changed that "class id" thing and the AA driver detected my device. However my device wasn`t shown up at the GUI of the driver.
Carletta Riemer
I don't believe ASIO4ALL is actually a low-level ASIO driver, though. It's a higher level wrapper for Windows Audio that gives you ASIO compatibility with applications. Interestingly, some other supposed ASIO drivers are just wrappers, too. I can't say if American Audio's are the good ones or not.
Isabell Deveau
Originally Posted by escapemcp
I tried to get the American Audio ASIO driver working (they didn't supply one or make one available for download for my MP-X10!), and just found it to be a rebadged (only just!) asio4all driver.
Well. American Audio licensed the driver of http://usb-audio.com which is not the same as "Asio4All". However it seems to be some universal driver as well. No idea if it would run better than "Asio4All".

I really don`t know why Citronic does not support that unit anymore after a FEW months. Thats evil.

I can post my modifications later on here.
Carletta Riemer
You can always use WASAPI without needing ASIO, but in some pro or dvs software, some multichannel interfaces will only show up as one channel stereo pair. So you just have to give them a try.

Why would you use Traktor with timecode running from inside the unit in USB internal mode? I realize that can be done, but seems like a lot of extra steps. On the Versadeck, you're also lowering your resolution when your range is set to lower than 16%, since its MIDI resolution on the pitch faders is better than 0.05% when lower. When I say I get only 0.05% res in USB internal mode at any range, it's because the Versadeck shows in the middle of the display those increments separate from the normal BPM in the lower right. The whole middle of the display changes to show this fine increment then disappears after about 2 seconds.

Like I said, though, a 100mm 10-bit fader still has some play in the fader motion where tiny increments might not do anything, so especially in USB internal mode (and to some extend when using MIDI/DVS) you need to watch and make sure the increment actually registered. With a 14-bit 100mm fader, every movement does something. In fact, sometimes you might nudge it and actually cause it to move in the wrong direction. The Xponent faders after having been cleaned/lubed with 3-in-1 are so loose that if they were 14-bit instead of 10-bit (which they unfortunately are) I believe that might be the way to go. You have to be VERY gentle with the Xponent, but you don't need to worry about moving it the wrong way due to resistance.
Sulema Eshel
Originally Posted by sakaana
Hey all,
I own the "DMC-2000". What to say, i`m generally fine with it. The only real bad thing is: Synq doesn`t provide an ASIO driver so you have to stay with Asio4All which isn`t running that well.

Now i saw that the other companies licensed the driver from "usb-audio.com" - i`m wondering if i could get my device to work with it? I changed some "guild class" ID into the ini`s and at least the device is found by the driver. But after a reboot you can`t select the device into the ASIO panel of the driver...i don`t have that much clue about the things i have to change into the ini files. Anyone?
Why i want to have lower latency? Well, i own Mixvibes Cross as well and i want to use my timecode vinyls...

I will reply to the post before later on when i checked all the things with my device. Would be real interesting to see if the unit will act different.
I tried to get the American Audio ASIO driver working (they didn't supply one or make one available for download for my MP-X10!), and just found it to be a rebadged (only just!) asio4all driver. A bit stupid by Citronic (for not supplying an ASIO driver), as I was unable to get the 2 stereo outputs working without Asio4all (hmm... possible excuse for an RMA??? - I want the Synchron unit due to its' superior FX )

Which drivers did you download to try to get working (by changing GUID)... I would be interested to see/fiddle with them. Thanks for the f/w info - going to compare to mine toevening .

Thanks

P.S. You shouldn't have to 'justify' wanting an ASIO driver i.e. "Why i want to have lower latency?" - it is a requirement for any sort of decent interaction with Traktor, even non DVS.
Sulema Eshel
Oops... copy & paste from another post

Yeah, I was looking at the BPM in Traktor when controlled by DVS... couldn't get it to change at all WITHOUT the on-lcd %age display on the unit changing. When you say 0.05% at all pitch ranges, how can you tell? My %age meter only shows 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 etc (@ +/- 6%). When moving it between these 'points', I don't get any change in Traktor bpm (so the unit is not outputting, say a 0.25 speed, only 0.2 or 0.3) - this is in internal USB mode, which is then controlling Traktor via timecode. BPM doesn't change at all (unless I 'tap' in a tempo - will try this soon), due to the 2kHz timecode signal (damn, no beats!! )

Originally Posted by Santa Claus - Ho Ho Ho :)
Carletta Riemer
I had no idea the Sync version doesn't come with the ASIO drivers. Strange considering I believe they're the company that designed it. I don't know if they're true kernel drivers I've got or a wrapper like ASIO4ALL. I know ASIO4ALL does not do true bit perfect, but usually can get low latency. Some people say it's superior to the non-kernel wrapper style drivers used by Emu and others. Have you tried moving the Sync over to its own dedicated IRQ? I have to remove my battery from the laptop, install the unit on the same dedicated IRQ USB port as the Emu 0204 uses (when the Versadeck isn't plugged in), and had to find a stable latency. I also found the Versadeck couldn't be moved to just any port once installed. You have to uninstall it and re-install on the new port, including the requisite reboots.
Isabell Deveau
Hey all,

very new to this place and happy to found a place where`s a thread like this

Carletta Riemer

You get two stereo outs regardless of whether the mixer is set to MIDI or Mixer. In Mixer mode the two get sent to each side of the mixer and the mixer works as a mixer. In live use, you essentially would always want to use Mixer mode and send ch1/ch2 to the unit. In MIDI mode, the unit sends one stereo channel to the unit's output section and the other to the unit's headphone section. This allows you to send master and headphone separately while using the DVS internal mixer. It also gives you cue/prgm panning. The problem is, in MIDI mode the same headphone signal is present on both sides of the mini crossfader, causing a loud summing in the middle on top of whatever the mini crossfader in the DVS is doing.

I was also talking about when playing files from USB drives internally or when in Mixer Mode, that the firmware might be tweakable so that hitting the master meter button also sends pgrm/output signal to the headphones. If it's a digital mixer in there or has a DSP controlling the analog audio routing, then it should be possible.

Sulema Eshel
DISCONTINUED is a bad sign. It means no more support. Wow. Isn't Citronix the Euro branding of ADJ, or am I believeing of another brand?
I believe so... they certainly have a lot of similar items in their catalogue. Most of these are made by Hanpin in Taiwan, so not sure if they are just buying up these OEM units and rebranding, and therefore may be totally seperate companies. Citronic is owned by AVSL - not sure about AA tho'.

On a related note, if you are doing MIDI and use the unit's soundcard with pgrm/cue channel assignments, the mini crossfader becomes a problem due to the cue signal being doubled on both sides and very loud in the middle. When in MIDI mode, I either use a different USB ASIO soundcard with it, change the cue blender to a different control and leave the mini crossfader on one side of the other, or I use it with ch1/ch2 routing instead.
On mine, I get the option in settings to change the mixer mode to internal or midi. In mixer mode, the mixer always runs as a mixer with 2 stereo outs being presented to the pc/mac. Problem with this is that you can't use the hi/mid/lo/gain knobs for midi mapping. In midi mode, the mixer works as a midi mixer when BOTH ch1&2 are set to PC (whatever it's called - switch to right). When only 1 channel is set to PC then the sound enters channel 1 - if you have um, channel 1 set to PC and ch2 set to internal/line, then the mixer runs in internal (non-midi) mode, and you get the VU meters on ch1 metering what is coming out of ch1 (controlled by the actual sound, not by a midi output from traktor (hope that makes sense!). Will play around with the HP cue volume thing toevening .
I would assume the master could be sent to the headphone when in internal USB mode. It's not a huge deal (earbuds under over-ear headphones works fine for practice), but I assume it's just software telling the audio signal where to route. Maybe the soundcard channels are hardwired into specific spots, but I kind of doubt it. I'll cross my fingers for that one.
Um... not too sure what you are getting at... in midi mode, you get 2 stereo outs. One goes to master, the other to headphone... am I missing something here? (probably! )

I mean it getting stuck when in vinyl internal USB mode and you rewind back. You can see the buffer empty. It gets stuck. This wouldn't be so bad if there was also a faster search method with the wheel. A button or something you could press and the jog moves you around fast, but without a nice vinyl scratch sound.
Again, will test toevening .

The internal USB jog bend definitely needs fixing to get rid of the ramp up. Good (or I guess unfortunate for you) to see this is not just ADJ's version. I hate using pitch bend buttons. I'd be fine with those being removed and replaced with pitch range up & pitch range down. Oh, on that point... a USB internal mode soft takeover for the pitch fader might be nice, but I suppose is unnecessary with the current 0.05 pitch resolution. You might as well keep the range at 16%, since lower ranges do not allow finer increments.
+1 on the ramp up

Not too sure on those 0.05 pitch resolution claims... ripped a Traktor CD to get the test tone, then put it on a USB stick. Ran that into a mate's Traktor Scratch, and used the pitch sliders. The BPM within Traktor ONLY changed when the unit's on-screen %-age changed.... in 6% this is 0.1 accuracy. I couldn't get Traktor to detect any movement between the 0.1 change! This will therefore be true for anything played through the unit in internal mode! - I *believe* I tested this with +-16% (and only got 1% resolution)... will verify toevening .
My top concern at this point, besides ADJ's firmware update promise and unknown timeline, is wav file playback glitches when in internal USB mode.
Will test toevening .
Sulema Eshel
Career programmer here (FWIW).

So, as far as you know, the different units are identical hardware-wise or extremely close to it. Yet, whenever you put the firmware of one on the other, the unit won't start up at all (I believe, not exactly sure from the original post?)
Yeah, the firmware doesn't take. It just comes up with "Update Failed" and you have to switch the unit on/off to get it back to life.
1) Have you tried the DSP code from one and the Main code from the other?
Yes, doesn't work (I believe just updating the DSP is what I am after.. it's just the effects update that I want).
2) Are there any jumpers or DIP switches to set, or perhaps a Boot ROM somewhere on the unit?
Haven't seen one.. believe I may need to take it apart.
3) You could edit the Firmware "block style" maybe in a Hex Editor, but you almost certainly can't decompile it.
Yeah, looking through the firmware files in a text editor, they seem pretty similar... except that there there is some 'code' that is at the top of the file on one firmware, whereas on the other, it's at the bottom. The files are posted on my first post (the megaupload link) if you wanna take a look.

Thanks for the info. I just want to turn my unit into another brand, and then I'll be able to get these updates (& I'll be happy).

escapeMCP
Carletta Riemer

The abrupt curve on the headphone/cueing mini crossfader doesn't bother me. In fact, I would be fine with a 3-way switch like the old Numark DM900.

Yeah I kind of guessed that was the case with the headphone hiss. You can hear the internal software and the digital volume control changing the input to the fixed gain headphone jack when towards the bottom. Actually a smart method (even if the headphone amp design is noisy), as it also allows in MIDI mode for the headphone knob to control the DVS instead. I just usually run a Fiio headphone amp from the jack and it works fine as a line out.

The internal USB jog bend definitely needs fixing to get rid of the ramp up. Good (or I guess unfortunate for you) to see this is not just ADJ's version. I hate using pitch bend buttons. I'd be fine with those being removed and replaced with pitch range up & pitch range down. Oh, on that point... a USB internal mode soft takeover for the pitch fader might be nice, but I suppose is unnecessary with the current 0.05 pitch resolution. You might as well keep the range at 16%, since lower ranges do not allow finer increments. If they improved the internal mode res even further (which is possible with the 10bit faders), soft takeover would be useful. Numark always had a great implementation of that.

My top concern at this point, besides ADJ's firmware update promise and unknown timeline, is wav file playback glitches when in internal USB mode. I keep having skipping on wavs towards the end of the folder structure. I'm pretty sure I have less than 999 folders and less than 10,000 tracks on the formatted 250GB maxtor drive I set up in fat 32. I thought limiting all that and doing the database thing had stopped all those glitches, but the last time I used internal USB mode they crept back in. So it was a evening mare of pitch bending wankyness and playback glitches.

If I just want a MIDI controller, there are comparable options out there for even lower cost that do 10bit or even 14bit pitch fading. Granted, few of them have dedicated stutter buttons, are as durable, or have sound this punchy, but this isn't the only game in town. And if you have a separate external USB soundcard of superior quality already, the thing putting this OEM design over the top is really its internal USB mode. With all those issues disqualifying the internal mode from live use, it becomes a very well-built controller with an odd internal soundcard arrangement and only 10-bit pitch faders.

Joy Ringer
Career programmer here (FWIW).

So, as far as you know, the different units are identical hardware-wise or extremely close to it. Yet, whenever you put the firmware of one on the other, the unit won't start up at all (I believe, not exactly sure from the original post?)

1) Have you tried the DSP code from one and the Main code from the other?

2) Are there any jumpers or DIP switches to set, or perhaps a Boot ROM somewhere on the unit?

3) You could edit the Firmware "block style" maybe in a Hex Editor, but you almost certainly can't decompile it.

rs
Sulema Eshel
ADJ claimed theirs either cannot be updated with other company's firmware or it would void someone's warranty.
Tried updating mine with other f/w anyway (don't usually care about warranties.. I'll rip open a brand new A&H DB4 just to see what's inside and if I can replace anything to trick it out!). Didn't work. I got "Update Failed" on the screen (see my previous posts)
Synq and their allies need to make the firmware open source, like Numark is using for their iDJ2.
Now you're talking! This is kinda why I started the thread - this would be ideal scenario #1.
Do all of your units lack FLAC and AAC support?
Mine does.
And when in internal USB mode, does the jog wheel ramp up. That's a problem and ADJ has promised to get the OEM to change the firmware. They said they're in the process of doing an engineering agreement to get that changed and do some other improvements, but there's no way to find out what the specific timeline is on it.
So do your jog wheels ramp up to 100% up or 0% (if you slow it down) if you keep rotating in USB internal mode?
Yes, everyone with these are moaning about this! :eek: Totally odd behaviour if you are used to decks.
That, the lack of taggable lossless support in USB mode, the lack of master monitoring in the headphones when you hit the master button for the meter
Yeah, the Chan1/Chan2 headphone xfader has far to severe a slope (it's like a scracthing on/off slope!) to make accurate monitoring level adjustments simple. Master/monitor on the hp would be nice, but I fear that it would be too much re-routing of signals and the hardware may not support it.
and the strange behavior of the buffer when in vinyl mode and backcueing are all really holding the implementation back.
Do you mean searching with vinyl mode on, where the time keeps jumping around?
I also don't understand why in Vinyl mode hitting Cue without hitting Save first doesn't work like CDJ mode. Versadeck requires you to hit Save first for Cue to create a new point. Otherwise you need to be in CDJ mode. At least they have a stutter button, though.
The cues I still haven't quite figured out... if I set a cuepoint, and then move onto the next track, the cuepoint is still active. If I press it, I get the previous track again! - thoughts?
Almost forgot...
headphone hiss. Anyone else have that on their front jack?
Yeah, I get headphone hiss. It's due to the headphone amp. It's a fixed gain amp, and the volume control only controls the level going into the amp, rather than the gain of the amp itself. As such, it's always at full volume, hence the hiss (and hence the digital noise when you alter the level). As it's headphones, I don't ever find this a problem. What with the noise coming from the speakers, it's inaudible when playing in situ.

This unit is so nearly there, all of these issues are pretty easily fixed, and if they were, I believe I'd probably end up marrying my unit (they allow that sort of shit in the US don't they? )

Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh hhhhhh!!!!!!!!.....
Just been to AVSL/Citronic's website here, and my MP-X10 is now DISCONTINUED - Bastards!!!. I was an early adopter on this unit, buying it when it was still at the
Carletta Riemer
ADJ claimed theirs either cannot be updated with other company's firmware or it would void someone's warranty. Their wording seemed kind of confused, though.

This is supposedly designed by the Belgium company Synq (according to them, though they may be owned by the other one) and manufactured by a Chinese OEM. It's not cloned but licensed from Synq and all are made by that same OEM. DJ-Tech is also coming out with a branding of their own (they design a lot of stuff for companies, including some expensive units) called the U3. Again, it should still by Synq's design with varying firmware based on the branding company's requests.

Synq and their allies need to make the firmware open source, like Numark is using for their iDJ2.

Do all of your units lack FLAC and AAC support?

And when in internal USB mode, does the jog wheel ramp up. That's a problem and ADJ has promised to get the OEM to change the firmware. They said they're in the process of doing an engineering agreement to get that changed and do some other improvements, but there's no way to find out what the specific timeline is on it.

So do your jog wheels ramp up to 100% up or 0% (if you slow it down) if you keep rotating in USB internal mode?

That, the lack of taggable lossless support in USB mode, the lack of master monitoring in the headphones when you hit the master button for the meter (split cue would also be nice... not button for it, though), the lack of fast search by jog (again, no button for it), and the strange behavior of the buffer when in vinyl mode and backcueing are all really holding the implementation back.

I also don't understand why in Vinyl mode hitting Cue without hitting Save first doesn't work like CDJ mode. Versadeck requires you to hit Save first for Cue to create a new point. Otherwise you need to be in CDJ mode. At least they have a stutter button, though.

Almost forgot...

headphone hiss. Anyone else have that on their front jack?
Sulema Eshel
Reply from Citronic: there is no BPM SYNC function stand alone. Can be done when using software - download mapping files here http://bit.ly/tzfqPV - grrrrr
Sulema Eshel
Originally Posted by rowleys
I also have this controller ..

Do you use the with VDJ at all.. Im having so many problems with the midi just not connecting then making vdj freeze out .. the midi bottons flashing but not working switching the usb mode and there working there

I bet the ADJ software will work better if u could ge tit to work on the controller
Agreed. the Citronic was the first released, but as such it has an early firmware. Will try with VDJ toevening (hopefully) and see what results I can get.

BTW: Have you updated the firmware to v3 from citronic's site. If not, then that may fix some of the problems you are seeing?

For what I do, it's a pretty good controller, but seeing that I often use it in native USB stick mode, not having the beat synced fx etc is damned annoying.

Will let you know in due course if I am getting similar problems in VDJ - U are using the one included with the unit, yes?.

Thanks for the reply (& bump!). This controller could be pretty good if they just get these minor issues sorted (well major issue in your case!).

escapemcp
Bernita Sollberger
I also have this controller ..

Do you use the with VDJ at all.. Im having so many problems with the midi just not connecting then making vdj freeze out .. the midi bottons flashing but not working switching the usb mode and there working there

I bet the ADJ software will work better if u could ge tit to work on the controller
Sulema Eshel
OK, renamed files to the "ud" format consistent with my previous updates that I know worked... getting "Update Failed" on the controllers LCD. (When I didn't rename them, it refused to even try to update). See screenshot below of result.

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy