Class compliant Bespoke Midi Controllers (How much would you pay?)

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Class compliant Bespoke Midi Controllers (How much would you pay?)Reply
Class compliant Bespoke Midi Controllers (How much would you pay?)
Posted on: 08.11.2013 by Eunice Howe
Hey guys,

Seems a cheeky thing to mention
I'm a University Electrical Engineering student and for my final year project i've been really working hard on Midi controller design.
I've got to the point i've developed a solid foundation for USB Midi Class compliant devices

I've been looking at the possibility of me getting into the market of engineering my own controllers.

Currently my vision of a beginning controller is

1- Fully built controller
- 3 Axis Accelerometer control
- Proximity sensor for free hand filter control
- up to 32 analog controls (more will be available on bespoke design)
- 20-30 digital controls (again more available under request)
- Options for ledfeedback hardware coded.
- and More
- Custom case currently talking to an independant engineer about producing a run milled from aluminium and Polycarbonate

2 - MIDI BrainThis will be a fully soldered fully coded platform provided with headers and ribbon cables, whats required from the user is to solder their chosen controls and place it inside a box or case they make everything will be labelled as soon as the connection is on the knob/fader/button you will be ready to send Midi data.
You still will gain 3-axis accelerometer onboard as an additional feature the features will be similar to the above fully built design
Everything will be designed idiot proof

3 - MIDI Brain Lite
Another fully soldered fully coded platform provided with headers and ribbon cables but limited to smaller range of control options and NO/Cheaper accelerometer (I haven't decided yet)

I have prototypes for 1 and 2 currently and just investigating ways we could make the items better without increasing costs.

I need some expert advice, Keeping in mind these will be made by hand my simple question is

How much would you pay for 1,2 or 3?
Rae Beachy
Originally Posted by Fail
You could

At an increased cost and implementing puredata or max patches to translate serial data
Not if you used a Teensy with the USBMIDI library, dirt cheap too.
Eunice Howe
Originally Posted by botstein
Why not just use Arduino or Raspberry Pi?
You could

At an increased cost and implementing puredata or max patches to translate serial data
Eunice Howe
Hey guys,

Seems a cheeky thing to mention
I'm a University Electrical Engineering student and for my final year project i've been really working hard on Midi controller design.
I've got to the point i've developed a solid foundation for USB Midi Class compliant devices

I've been looking at the possibility of me getting into the market of engineering my own controllers.

Currently my vision of a beginning controller is

1- Fully built controller
- 3 Axis Accelerometer control
- Proximity sensor for free hand filter control
- up to 32 analog controls (more will be available on bespoke design)
- 20-30 digital controls (again more available under request)
- Options for ledfeedback hardware coded.
- and More
- Custom case currently talking to an independant engineer about producing a run milled from aluminium and Polycarbonate

2 - MIDI BrainThis will be a fully soldered fully coded platform provided with headers and ribbon cables, whats required from the user is to solder their chosen controls and place it inside a box or case they make everything will be labelled as soon as the connection is on the knob/fader/button you will be ready to send Midi data.
You still will gain 3-axis accelerometer onboard as an additional feature the features will be similar to the above fully built design
Everything will be designed idiot proof

3 - MIDI Brain Lite
Another fully soldered fully coded platform provided with headers and ribbon cables but limited to smaller range of control options and NO/Cheaper accelerometer (I haven't decided yet)

I have prototypes for 1 and 2 currently and just investigating ways we could make the items better without increasing costs.

I need some expert advice, Keeping in mind these will be made by hand my simple question is

How much would you pay for 1,2 or 3?
Rae Beachy
Originally Posted by Fail
You could

Not if you used a Teensy with the USBMIDI library, dirt cheap too.
Eunice Howe
Originally Posted by botstein
You could

Ervin Calvery

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy