$25 8 Knob USB class-compliant MIDI controller - would you buy one?

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: $25 8 Knob USB class-compliant MIDI controller - would you buy one?Reply
$25 8 Knob USB class-compliant MIDI controller - would you buy one?
Posted on: 23.04.2013 by Jeannine Misas
Hello all!

I have been following the midi fighter project for a while, and know there are a lot of DIYers active here. I'm believeing about starting up a kit but I'm trying to judge interest before I do so; please don't take this as spam, I intend on releasing everything as open source hardware and software, and encourage people to mod it. It can very very easily be adapted to use up to 24 buttons, or any combination of buttons and knobs, with three buttons replacing each of the 8 knobs.

Anyways I've always been frustrated with the lack of dedicated knobs when using virtual synths, and recently put together a clever (IMHO) little circuit that is USB compatible, MIDI class compliant, and works with any modern OS (including iOS (iphone/ipad)) without any drivers.

It's 2"x4", USB powered; it has 8 knobs, a power led, and a microusb jack. It's great for ableton live, as most of their built in plugins have a simplistic 8 knob control scheme. Somewhat similar to a doepfor pcoket dial (http://www.doepfer.de/pd.htm), but thinner, USB only, and with 8 knobs instead of 16. Debating adding multiple banks, but haven't as of yet (seems silly to me when they are pots not encoders)

I've been running the numbers and believeing about creating a kickstarter for it. I believe if I sell at least 100 units, I can break even at the $20 price point for kits, and $25 for pre-assembled. This is, however, without a case I've been trying to figure out the best option for a case - for me, I would want folded sheet metal, but even plastic seems cost-prohibitive at such small quantity unfortunately.

I intend on offering a kit with all DIP parts except for the microusb connector, which will be soldered on by me, but I would also like to sell a pre-assembled version which may or may not be DIP.

Would anyone on here be interested? Is there a demand for something like this or am I a niche user? If you would be interested, would you but a kit or preassembled? Would you still buy it without a case (I'm guessing kits would, but non-kits wouldn't)? Or would you buy just a PCB? Or just etch it at home and DIY?

Thanks for your time! Hopefully I'm not alone in finding this useful, and I'll be posting a link to the kickstarter soon

Danyell Moniot
Hi, everyone!

This project is similar to my first midi controller called Blokas, so i decided to share it with you
Board: Teensy 2.0
Code: from http://fuzzywobble.com/ project
Price for parts: ~ $40

1483305_10201863653006741_187492082_n.jpg

Next step: wooden case & pots with push function.
Jeannine Misas
not sure how I missed this highly relevant post, my apologies!

Originally Posted by kilobytekaushik
But both are encoders. A lot ranking ers love twidling knobs tho. You could use two LED encoders on the outsides and six knobs on the inside. The 2"X4" box will be too small. A 4+4 cascading knob layout as in the axiom on a 4" X 5"-6" box will be better as it also gives more ground for stability.
^^yes, I've been believeing about that, I have one of those and it feels pretty well spaced

And rather than buying the enclosures, I believe a good sheetmetal workshop may build one cheaper at bulk order because its just a shhet of metal folded at four edges of a rectangle and voila!
I agree! Not quite as sturdy or splash-proof, but almost certainly cheaper. I just don't have any experience in manufacturing, have any pointers?

Also tell us about what internals you are planning to use AVR/PIC/Teensy or Boarduino.
It's AVR based, ATTiny specifically, with a 4051 multiplexer. I'll post a schematic once it's finalized
Lynsey Schellhammer
Originally Posted by AldenM

So what to expect in the next 10 days: pictures of a built, painted unit, realistic pricepoint. Next 30 days: video filmed, at least 10 prototypes in the hands of beta testers, kickstarter launched! Can't wait!

happy twiddlin'

YES!! I will have one as soon as you tell me when and where and how to get it. You are amazing!
Floy Thayer
So what's going on with this project? I would definitely buy one! and I would even more definitely buy one if it could sport knobs with LED indicators around them to show their current position, even if it would mean having to cut the amount of knobs down, I donno if there's any knobs with LED indicators that doesn't take much space compared to normal knobs.
Wilton Keuning
So.. is this a thing soon?
Deon Friedl
No Kickstarter yet.

Is this project now forgotten or just 'slow moving' ?
Reid Barreiro
could u make something similar with like 16 buttons and 4 knobs?
Athena Benenhaley
Wow this is the one thing I have been looking for! A cheap, DIYish small and simple box with just knobs to screw around with any softsynth!

Are you willing to ship internationally? I would definetly buy one (or two)!
Tenisha Staloch
Any update on this?
Darrick Kroah
Sign me up for that
Emelina Chillson
I seriously want 6. Are thoe endless encoders?
Rochel Gleese
Wow looks great, is there an easy way to combine two of the units together with one USB cable?

Are you able to add a row of buttons underneath each knob?
Emelina Chillson
I cant wait. Pre-orders?
Karry Sappington
Well thanks for pondering over my post, but you need not be a manufacturer to have an idea on how to make things. Like you , I don't believe are the manufacturer of atmel chips ! Pointers >>>
http://stickinsect.files.wordpress.c...-template1.png

http://www.mechatroniks.com/graphics/box0_1.jpg

http://www.americanmachinetools.com/hand_brake.htm

Tip: cut thin half inch slits on the outer edges on the line around which metal is to be bent. It gives a nice bend.
Celinda Sininger
This seems really cool. I'm wondering how I could be one of the first ten to test out this product. My email is [email protected]
Jeannine Misas
not sure how I missed this highly relevant post, my apologies!

But both are encoders. A lot ranking ers love twidling knobs tho. You could use two LED encoders on the outsides and six knobs on the inside. The 2"X4" box will be too small. A 4+4 cascading knob layout as in the axiom on a 4" X 5"-6" box will be better as it also gives more ground for stability.
^^yes, I've been believeing about that, I have one of those and it feels pretty well spaced

And rather than buying the enclosures, I believe a good sheetmetal workshop may build one cheaper at bulk order because its just a shhet of metal folded at four edges of a rectangle and voila!
I agree! Not quite as sturdy or splash-proof, but almost certainly cheaper. I just don't have any experience in manufacturing, have any pointers?

Also tell us about what internals you are planning to use AVR/PIC/Teensy or Boarduino.
It's AVR based, ATTiny specifically, with a 4051 multiplexer. I'll post a schematic once it's finalized
Jeannine Misas
^^^what he said! 2,200% more than my initial target price. really cool controller, just a different purpose in the controller world

Anyways, parts came in today, i hastily made a first unit without a proper jig, just eyeballing to some basic measurements, and my vice slipped on the last hole (topmost corner in most pics) BUT, imagine the knobs are all properly aligned, as they will be when I build a jig.

Here are some pics to give you an idea of what the finished product will look like! Expecting a $40-$50 kickstarter price, including shipping to continental US, with a bare bones no-case no-knob unit for $25+shipping (hopefully), and maybe a surprise module for even cheaper (add your own knobs!)

Let me know what you guys believe!

not 100% on the knobs yet, and color is probably gonna be a choice between 3 or 4

and here's the ugliest aspect of it:

has a good weight to the hand, the ALPS pots feel *great*, and have a metal shaft for durability. The case is IP65 rated IIRC, which means dust-proof and splash-proof. I would totally feel comfortable spilling a beer on it and then rinsing it off, though that requires sealing the USB jack, which I am unsure about doing for production (makes it hard to remove the PCB, thus less user serviceable).

Anyways, hopefully printing some properly sized PCBs monday or tuesday, and off we go from there!
Brunilda Kora

$549???
Preston Oya
similar to this?
http://lividinstruments.com/hardware_code.php
Kellie Myrum
Subscribed.
Lynsey Schellhammer

So what to expect in the next 10 days: pictures of a built, painted unit, realistic pricepoint. Next 30 days: video filmed, at least 10 prototypes in the hands of beta testers, kickstarter launched! Can't wait!

happy twiddlin'

YES!! I will have one as soon as you tell me when and where and how to get it. You are amazing!
Norbert Thysell
Very excited!
Jeannine Misas
Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50
Can you really do it for 20-25 dollars though?

Pots and encoders aren't that cheap. The pots and encoders alone will probably cost you ~15-25 dollars.
Maybe when you are buying 8 of them, but when you are buying 1000+ units the price drops sharply. The low end knobs I spec'd cost $0.25/unit in 1000+ quantity, if they feel like shit I will obviously buy better ones but that's where we stand.

Additionally, i believe I will release a super cheap ($15) board that has a USB jack and a 10 pin breakout, with +,ground, and 8 analog ins for pots, flex sensors, distance sensors, accelerometers, gyros, etc. The cost of DIY midi stuff is unbelievable right now!
Jeannine Misas
Hi all!

Thanks for the continued interest! Grades closed yesterday, colored cases and pots are in the mail, prototypes should be done soon

Version 1 is definitely going to be potentiometeres only. Why? Well, they are much easier (read: cheaper) to interface with than encoders. If this idea takes off and people like it, I will absolutely release an encoder version (though it will be much more expensive, probably at least $60).

As for the $25 price point - that is going to be for the fully functioning circuit, but with no knobs (pots, but no knobs) and no case. Looking at more like $35 with a painted case and knobs, and $40 incl. shipping. Still believe it's a viable project though.

happy twiddlin'
Gaynell Rydberg
Can you really do it for 20-25 dollars though?

Pots and encoders aren't that cheap. The pots and encoders alone will probably cost you ~15-25 dollars.
Lynsey Schellhammer
WHEN ARE THESE BAD BOYS COMING OUT?!! Where do I need to send my money!! Ever since I saw this post I've been excited.
Karry Sappington
What you are willing to do is something like this ->
DSC_2408-2-600x398.jpg
http://roygbiv.org.uk/midi-controllers/eight-kit/

Or something along the lines of a KENTON KILLAMIX.
kenton_killamix-mini.jpg
But both are encoders. A lot ranking ers love twidling knobs tho. You could use two LED encoders on the outsides and six knobs on the inside. The 2"X4" box will be too small. A 4+4 cascading knob layout as in the axiom on a 4" X 5"-6" box will be better as it also gives more ground for stability.AXIOM-25-II.jpg
And rather than buying the enclosures, I believe a good sheetmetal workshop may build one cheaper at bulk order because its just a shhet of metal folded at four edges of a rectangle and voila! But if any one is still adamant , you can take a plastic botom and slapa metal faceplate on it reducing the cost per se of a complete metal 1.Do you need it to be waterproof ? Also tell us about what internals you are planning to use AVR/PIC/Teensy or Boarduino.
Thomas Nytes
This controller looks amazing! waaay cheaper than making your own Livid controller as well. I like how its pretty straight to the point as far as the design goes but when this gets started up, I will buy one! I do hope you make another after its funded that has sliders 4 sliders on the bottom. Good luck!
Sylvia Greener
+1 on endless encoders.
Additional LED circles would make it a killer (even if it would make it 50% more expensive) but if you don't want to over-complicate things I could also live with just endless encoders.
Generally appreciate your concept!
Meryl Njus
Looks like everyone wants something different

Have you considered selling it sans case, just the hardware? that way we can customize the layout to our heart's desire.
Irwin Ney
Also +1 on endless push encoders. Or let it open to personal choice, if it doesn't add much more costs too you...
Irwin Ney
Maybe it's just a crazy idea but why have a separete case if the unit is so small?
Why not make the unit a little taller and turn the controller body into a case?

Think about a way that the knobs and the mainboard could be pressed inside the controler body when it's not in use and then a "smartcover" would cover it, how about that?

The smartcover could also become a way to make the controller a little more taller...

Think about this as an innovation in design and usability, also as a way to attract the attention of people.
Teresia Janusch
its a killer idea, however, endless rotories for me are no good, and also 2x4 might be too small...i.e. pots too close together?
Meryl Njus
Post internationally and I'm down for one too!
Been using Maschine for it's endless encoders.... something smaller would be great.
If you could incorporate push encoders as an option I would seriously send you flowers for Valentine's day!
Emelina Chillson
...SO EXCITED!!!!!

... jus sayin.... I cant wait!
Jeannine Misas
Originally Posted by noefortes
I will have one.

Wanna know how I got to this thread? I did a search on google for "8 knob usb" and landed here.

I use ableton racks a lot and that is exactly what I am looking for: a simple, cheap & modifiable controller.

[email protected]
Wow, that's awesome! Yeah, that's what inspired me; I want a simple, affordable, easy to use interface that can just plug in and give hands-on control to an ableton rack. 16 knobs is too big, and every interface I've seen has many other features besides just adding knobs.

Sorry for the lack of updates, it's finals time at uni and I've been very busy. But, the cases arrived, the patterns have been penciled on, and once schools out of session they're going straight to the shop to be drilled! I'll be sure to post pics

Oh, and I'll be sure to send you an email once they are for sale, as it seems like you probably don't visit here much

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone !
Brandie Yau
I will have one.

Wanna know how I got to this thread? I did a search on google for "8 knob usb" and landed here.

I use ableton racks a lot and that is exactly what I am looking for: a simple, cheap & modifiable controller.

[email protected]
Lynsey Schellhammer
Heck YES!! I'm so excited for this!!! I love the size of my midi fighter its perfect and always looks good on the side of my mixer but Maybe try a size that will fit about everything. Something around the size of the Pioneer RMX-1000
Emelina Chillson
2" would be perfect. I would buy 4 with two on either side of the mixer. This way it would flow into the setup smoothly. I really like where this is going.
Jeannine Misas
I have ordered two cases to prototype with, I'll refer to them as Case A (4.75inx2.44in) and case B (2inx4in). Both are die-cast aluminum intended to house guitar effect "stomp boxes", so they are obviously more than sturdy enough for club and studio use. There is a potential for them to be painted & pre-drilled at the manufacturer, which could lower labor costs meaning I can sell them for less Silkscreen top would be nice, but might not be worth the extra cost.

Generally, the spacing vertically and horizontally is the same, and that is the plan for this box. Measuring the spacing (front center of shaft to center of adjacent shaft) of several knob'd boxes within sight, I measured:

1": m-audio oxygen / "Case A"
1.185": m-audio axiom
1.19": "Case B"
1.25": APC40
1.5": knob box I made a long time ago
1.625": Paia Fatman

Anyone have a controller they believe is too narrow/just right/too wide? The more feedback the better!

I intend on building functional prototypes with both Case A and Case B, and playing around with them to see if either of them are comfortable enough, or if I should move up in size. That would mean a more expensive box, and a more expensive PCB, but if the controller isn't comfortable it's worthless!

Thanks for the feedback, seems like there is enough interest to at least make a run of 50 and see where it goes from there. Will keep y'all updated

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy