Frogstar's Zombie Raver Vomit setup

Home :: What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup. :: Frogstar's Zombie Raver Vomit setupReply
Frogstar's Zombie Raver Vomit setup
Posted on: 28.12.2011 by Jacquiline Dua

This must be my 20th setup in the last 2 years...
Erich Vallabhaneni
Originally Posted by djfrogstar
Well Im not sure if ENJOY really is a word I would use. But yes its ultra simple.. has most DMX lights to date in their database.. It somehow knows what you have too... I plugged it in... opened the vst in ableton.. and it found my light... and all the things that the light can do just appear perfectly labelled and everything. I linked my bass lfo to the brightness of the LEDs.. so it is all tempo synced.. in my case its just a UV blacklight flood/wash...... but if you have something that can point or has RGB values you can do all sorts of stuff... just feed all your midichannels into the DMX and away you go. of course you can use audio as well. So kick drum turns it red... hi hats shift it to purple.. and so forth. if you plan ahead you can easily take over a clubs lighting system depending on how they have it setup.

afaik it doesnt affect cpu at all.. I dont use ableton for anything but routing midi. all my sounds come from hardware.

There is also a footswitch control which is awesome.. you can engage, or disengage presets and have a dedicated switch.. cheap 10 dollar tap tempo box will work

sweet man, thanks for the info!
Jacquiline Dua
Originally Posted by Otacon
You use DMXIS? My partner in crime just got one and is about to start using it for our shows. Do you enjoy it?
Well Im not sure if ENJOY really is a word I would use. But yes its ultra simple.. has most DMX lights to date in their database.. It somehow knows what you have too... I plugged it in... opened the vst in ableton.. and it found my light... and all the things that the light can do just appear perfectly labelled and everything. I linked my bass lfo to the brightness of the LEDs.. so it is all tempo synced.. in my case its just a UV blacklight flood/wash...... but if you have something that can point or has RGB values you can do all sorts of stuff... just feed all your midichannels into the DMX and away you go. of course you can use audio as well. So kick drum turns it red... hi hats shift it to purple.. and so forth. if you plan ahead you can easily take over a clubs lighting system depending on how they have it setup.

afaik it doesnt affect cpu at all.. I dont use ableton for anything but routing midi. all my sounds come from hardware.

There is also a footswitch control which is awesome.. you can engage, or disengage presets and have a dedicated switch.. cheap 10 dollar tap tempo box will work
Jacquiline Dua
Originally Posted by Scott305
What are all the labels on the board, you mean like you have velcro labels for controls that you swap out depending on how something is mapped?
yeah I made around 1500 5 mil thick laminated labels with hook velcro for most of my midi controllers. From A-Z, 1-20... each in 4 UV colors... then most synth related elements. LFO, res,cut off.. stuff like that.. then little skulls, instrument types.. Im always changing controllers and setups... but when I do set one up... I rarely commit anything to muscle memory.. If I have a routine.. then Ill use the labels .. and change it as needed... I dont like to hit the wrong buttons.. and need things to register fast. I dont normally sequence things in a linear way.. more jam oriented.. So this is ideal... since its all UV.. I can see it in the dark for the most part.
I have 2 UV LED chauvet shadows controlled with VST DMXIS.. So I can sync anything to LFOs or kick and snare. Or in best case scenarios I can hack into an entire club lighting system just with one DMX cable... assuming they let me do that

Im going to do a weekly 2 hour liveset on USTREAM soon.. So ill post a link once thats ready to go. Gangster Psybient gabber hop step kind of style... or breakcore.. whatever you want to call it... just noise at end of the day. should sound similar to skrillex's impacted prolapse on a frying pan
Ashlyn Gaulrapp
Taking drugs in your room would lead to insanity...

or infinite bliss

Interesting set-up, not exactly my taste (I personally prefer clean simple hardware)
But I love the artistic and custom feel of it all. Please post more pictures soon, I believe many people are wondering what exactly is in this picture.
Hanna Ridenbaugh
Love it, although I couldn't do it myself. If I did it might stop my RGAS as I don't believe I'd be able to resell stuff. Ever tried to sell any of your gear/art? I dig Studio one it's a very underestimated DAW.
Rufus Ondrick
Quite a unique set up if you ask me. These are just tools for your creativity, As long as they do what you want them to do, Who cares what others believe.
Ming Devis
haha love it man.
Jacquiline Dua

Have all my stuff broken into 4 seperate stations.. Here is station #1 TheBullfrog

Sequentrix Cirkon Sequencer-Elektron AnalogFour,Elektron Machinedrum,Elektron Monomachine,Jomox Mbase11,Jomox Mbrane1_1, Eventide Space, Oto Biscuit, Strymon Timeline, Strymon Mobius, Vermona Kick Lancet, Access Virus Snow, CThru Axis 49, NI Maschine, Motu Track 16, KM Softstep, DMXIS

MAschine is used to control DMX lighting. DAW used for routing can be anything.. but preferred DAW is Studio One.
Erich Vallabhaneni

sweet man, thanks for the info!
Terra Merigold
Wow. Insane! Good for you. For me, would get on my nerves the raver vomit after a while. But imo time and happy existence is the most precious things we have... So if it adds to your groove good deal! Nice setup too..jealous of your circlon + all of it!
Jacquiline Dua
Originally Posted by Otacon
You use DMXIS? My partner in crime just got one and is about to start using it for our shows. Do you enjoy it?

Erich Vallabhaneni
Brunilda Kora
Originally Posted by "djfrogstar
Gangster Psybient gabber hop step kind of style... or breakcore.. whatever you want to call it... just noise at end of the day. should sound similar to skrillex's impacted prolapse on a frying pan
I just crapped in my pants...
Jacquiline Dua
Originally Posted by Scott305
What are all the labels on the board, you mean like you have velcro labels for controls that you swap out depending on how something is mapped?
yeah I made around 1500 5 mil thick laminated labels with hook velcro for most of my midi controllers. From A-Z, 1-20... each in 4 UV colors... then most synth related elements. LFO, res,cut off.. stuff like that.. then little skulls, instrument types.. Im always changing controllers and setups... but when I do set one up... I rarely commit anything to muscle memory.. If I have a routine.. then Ill use the labels .. and change it as needed... I dont like to hit the wrong buttons.. and need things to register fast. I dont normally sequence things in a linear way.. more jam oriented.. So this is ideal... since its all UV.. I can see it in the dark for the most part.
I have 2 UV LED chauvet shadows controlled with VST DMXIS.. So I can sync anything to LFOs or kick and snare. Or in best case scenarios I can hack into an entire club lighting system just with one DMX cable... assuming they let me do that

Im going to do a weekly 2 hour liveset on USTREAM soon.. So ill post a link once thats ready to go. Gangster Psybient gabber hop step kind of style... or breakcore.. whatever you want to call it... just noise at end of the day. should sound similar to skrillex's impacted prolapse on a frying pan
Tonya Stefanow
I like your idea of making your gear personal, and personally I do like it. But, I just don't believe i'd be able to handle that all the time? if you understand me..
Cristian Carmona
Not sure what you mean.. the fact that it doesnt look generic? or the UV aspect to it.

I dont hold monetary value to gear.. so Im not worried about not being able to sell it. I personally feel closer to my stuff and see them less as generic music hardware and midi controllers anyone uses. Kind of like the reason why guitars have different bodies but use the same pick ups. Or people who use colored control vinyl LOL( as if it makes a difference).
One might argue or suspect drugs have a large influence on doing this. Ive done my fair share in the 90s. I blame it all on MTV, more than 12 years working there doing animation I lost the ability to believe rationally... If you believe it, make it... And what you see here is only the tip of the iceberg. The rabbit hole runs much deeper than you can imagine
Im with you on making your gear personal. I used colored control vinyl that usually has music or side A. Well except of the glow in the dark serato vinyl, that is for pure looks.
Jacquiline Dua
Originally Posted by Early Birds
I'm not sure about anyone else, but that'd eventually get on my nerves..
Not sure what you mean.. the fact that it doesnt look generic? or the UV aspect to it.

I dont hold monetary value to gear.. so Im not worried about not being able to sell it. I personally feel closer to my stuff and see them less as generic music hardware and midi controllers anyone uses. Kind of like the reason why guitars have different bodies but use the same pick ups. Or people who use colored control vinyl LOL( as if it makes a difference).
One might argue or suspect drugs have a large influence on doing this. Ive done my fair share in the 90s. I blame it all on MTV, more than 12 years working there doing animation I lost the ability to believe rationally... If you believe it, make it... And what you see here is only the tip of the iceberg. The rabbit hole runs much deeper than you can imagine
Erich Vallabhaneni
Originally Posted by DJ JesC
holy Nikes! now thats a setup. bath salts are a hell'va drug.
dude, totally agree, bath salts are a hell'va drug (and Nikes are pretty holy)
Tonya Stefanow
I'm not sure about anyone else, but that'd eventually get on my nerves..
Gertha Coprich
Lmao!
Cristian Carmona
holy Nikes! now thats a setup. bath salts are a hell'va drug.
Judi Sissel
I am guessing you do dubstep? LOL. Did you know you were going to build this, or did this little community of monsters/gear just manifest itself over time?
Erich Vallabhaneni
would love to see a vid of you using this gorgeous setup man
Jacquiline Dua
Originally Posted by Xonetacular
Go modular, it's totally awesome and worth it.

I just started a little 3u eurorack setup and it is a lot of fun, I will probably be at 6u in a couple weeks. Totally worth it- eurorack isn't that expensive in the scheme of things and if you don't spend the money on modular it will just be something else.

The DB4 is pretty great- it has one aux input so you can get 5 channels out of it.
I need to check the specs again... Right now I have 2 peices of gear going into the 2 AUX inputs.. and the AUX sends I use to go through two different hardware FX bypassing the fader. The aux knobs let me send different combos of channels which is perfect because the chain continues from the FX units and into the soundcard. The fx are so nice on the DB4, that mabey its worth to just go directly into ableton. OTO biscuit and SL20 are the hardware FX Im using atm
Jacquiline Dua
I have matching camo, problem is that its summer... and it doesnt breath because of all the fabric paint... Ill post a video and somehow try to endure. Also have a mask which makes it even more unbearable
Freida Leash
very nice it is like what happens when ocd collides with phenethylamines. you need matching camo to play.
Romelia Stankard
Go modular, it's totally awesome and worth it.

I just started a little 3u eurorack setup and it is a lot of fun, I will probably be at 6u in a couple weeks. Totally worth it- eurorack isn't that expensive in the scheme of things and if you don't spend the money on modular it will just be something else.

The DB4 is pretty great- it has one aux input so you can get 5 channels out of it.
Jacquiline Dua
That's incredible. You know at first when I saw this I was turned off but there is something about it that is just amazing. Also love your video/music work- that setup is just so crazy i can't even recognize a lot of the gear anymore.

Now you just need to get a modular synth and a nest of patch cables
Thanks
Modular is the one drug I vowed to never mess with.
The closest I will ever get is a program I sometimes use called Numerology. I have a Cirklon ordered to take care of the 20 parts from the Virus Snow and Waldorf Blofeld. Atm Im just routing the parts in ableton and using the zero sl to let the Axis or Pad one trigger them. Octatrack is using all 8 midi channels for drums.
I would like to get the best mixer.. DB4.. but afaik it doesnt have the same functional stuff as the 92 which I need (aux 1 and aux 2 output)

This whole setup works well for the length of my arms.. everything is positioned based on priority of use to minimize my arms getting too tired or needing to read a screen.
Romelia Stankard
That's incredible. You know at first when I saw this I was turned off but there is something about it that is just amazing. Also love your video/music work- that setup is just so crazy i can't even recognize a lot of the gear anymore.

Now you just need to get a modular synth and a nest of patch cables
Jacquiline Dua
Will post a video soon.. just got everything wired... and one last peice of gear is on its way to become the brain for all the sequencing

Romelia Stankard
You have any more of your video stuff you can share? It's pretty cool...
Jacquiline Dua
That's crazy looking, looks pretty cool in UV
Thanks!
ill take some more pictures when is finished, still need to hook up the Midi controllers. But for the most part I dont use midi controllers anymore, just for controlling VJ apps. Waiting on getting an Innerclock box before bringing the software back into the mix.
Romelia Stankard
That's crazy looking, looks pretty cool in UV
Jacquiline Dua
Originally Posted by Smaze
Have you thought about painting your walls zombie raver vomit style?
Well.. this setup is now in a small enclosed space. I have many times considered painting the walls. IF I do, it would be using invisible UV paint. For right now though Im going to hold off.
Francene Cafaro
Have you thought about painting your walls zombie raver vomit style?
Erich Vallabhaneni
dude great setup, and i love anything fluorescent just as much as the next guy, but damn if you're setup room doesnt look like a crazy version of Oogie Boogie's lair from Nightmare Before Christmas if i was tripping hardddd. lol but great vid aswell! keep it up man
Celestine Porebski
A while ago, I stumbled upon pictures of your ESX somewhere (I believe it was korgcommunity s). You should post those, it looked awesome!
Jacquiline Dua

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di3ks...feature=relmfu

little test from an old setup
Jacquiline Dua
Originally Posted by Smaze
Wow, much better!

Why did you ditch the MBP?
The computer I believe to some degree atleast for me ... Limits what I can do. Obviosly I can run this whole thing into my soundcard and mix it in Ableton.. but Once I start doing that.. I fixate on different VSTs and how they will change the incoming sounds. This is fun, but I then spend half my time away from the actuall drum machines and need MIDI controllers to do the ableton stuff.. which I have plenty of.. but it becomes a situation that you need 6 arms, two heads.. And I just get nothing accomplished. sure its fun to jam around with the computer and gear.. I just am trying to flow more with hardware for the moment. I guess its just the limiting of options that allows you to just accept things and move on

I had one setup where I use Maschine instead of Ableton and have all the incoming signals routed so I can use Machine to mute or solo or then have FX and stuff to controll and so forth. Im waiting on getting an Innerclocksystem because of the DAW to hardware sync problem that cannot be fixed 100% without it. Nothing is worse than some slight offset that changes around and puts beats out of sync
Jacquiline Dua
Originally Posted by Kodiak Records
looks awesome!...theres functionality to those tags on the wall?
I normally use the tags on the APC or Maschine or Impulse controller. The wall is just where I stick them until I need them. The wall is actually a felt greenscreen for compositing video or stuff like that. All tags are laminated 10mil thick plastic with velcro(hook side) backing. Then the controllers have the loop side of the velcro

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy