Will M.D's Setup.

Will M.D's Setup.
Posted on: 26.11.2011 by Marybelle Ver
*Edited*

A 2012 video/Scratch session..

A lil 2013 setup pic... Ah yeah Caravanning ftw
DSCF0873.jpg

Story & How it all started...

I've always wanted to DJ since I was pretty young, say like 8-9.
Well at around the age of 12 I managed to get my first DJ gig at a friends 8th birthday party!
Obviously at the time this was pretty epic. My first gig, but I had no gear & only a few cds.
So I somehow managed to get together an 8 channel mixer, 2 cd players (of which one was an all in one high stack Sony Hi-fi!), a Pa system, A strobe light which I still to this day have, along with another couple of lights I managed to borrow.

This was the first real taste of anything like this I had experienced. Even setting up the gear seemed pretty easy to me, even though it was my first time seeing a lot of the gear , I just remember looking carefully & taking logical steps to put it all together & it all worked!

"This is it" I remember believeing, everything just managed to go amazingly. I would just blend in the new tune with the upfaders & everynow & then put the strobe on & the kids would go crazy.

I had headphones, but no way of pitching any of the songs, but this didn't matter.
It was a great evening , all the kids had fun, including me & still to this day I remember it in such vividness. Ok its only 15yrs ago, but a lots happened since then...

I started playing the Bass at the age of 13 & Drums at the age of 14.
DJing somehow didn't seem to have its hold over me tight enough at this point.

So played the Drums until I was 18 and then bass until I was 21 but at the age of 20 I was offered the oppurtunity I had needed. Some Decks!

I still have my bass (Fender Jazz) but she's a bit poorly & needs so major TlC.

So the crazyness started just over 7yrs ago when I was 20!
I'm now 27 :eek: & DJing is still getting better & better & more fun everyday.

Here's pretty much a picture by picture update from early 2004 to the current day 26th Nov 2011.

There's one thing i'm sure of, it will definately get more & more interesting as the years progress.

I can't wait.

Current setup - 2 x Technics 1200, DDM4000 w/ Innofader, MPD24, Conectiv, Xponent, Sennheiser HD-25, Dell Inspiron E1705, Custom OCuk Quadcore Pc. Cubase 5, Torq 2.0.2.

The 1st setup

Total cost
Marybelle Ver
Originally Posted by Dohjo
Does the DDM4000 have manual filters? Like the DJM 800 etc.
Sorry for the late reply.. back in the Uk now, still caravanning ! (cough pikey scum)

so.. as far as I can remember (its been a couple months now since using the DDM4k) you can assign a high,mid or low pass filter on both the efx channels & then the knobs act as wet dry, however... it works differently for either high or low pass ie sweep left to right for one and then sweep right to left for the other... does get a bit of a brain ache/evening mare if you forget which ones what tho!

Hope that helps!

Ooo... also found a pic of the 'away on holiday' setup !

DSCF0692.jpg

Peace
Doreen Schurle
Ok thanks! Could be cool to get it solved. Also looked into the RMX-80 for a new mixer. Have the RMX-40 now.
Ditto, RMX-40 USB (the one with the silver knobs). I was debating whether to refurbish the RMX with uprated (damped) faders and pots, or buy the RMX-80, but now that the Z1's out I'll probably go for that instead.
Doreen Schurle
DJM600-style, as far as I know. I'm pretty sure the cheapest mixer with a manual filter is the NOX606, but even that's a bit confusing... pretty sure it's A&H-style, with the two separate assignable filter knobs for A/B. The RMX-80 is a good non-Pioneer option for a mixer with a dedicated HPF/LPF filter on all 4 channels.

EDIT: Apparently the DDM4K is similar to the NOX606 in that it has assignable filters, although I'm not sure how manual they are as they use an encoder for the parameters like the DJMs; the knob seems to be for wet/dry but that might self-reassign when using the filter mode. I'll let Will answer that one for you
Marybelle Ver
Originally Posted by Danek
Man, I wish I had everything you had.
It's Only taken me 9 long Years to get all of the stuff I have now... Patience young one, it will come

Originally Posted by momo217
I have been really believeing of getting a ddm4000. I have an innofader to put in it already. I am mainly a scratch dj and Ive heard good and bad things about the mixer. I believe it would suit me perfectly, both financially and creatively. What are your thoughts on it? I use Serato by the way. Does it map well for midi use? How are the effects? Thanks in advance.
I'd say its worth the money, but if your used to using high quality mixers you'll really notice why it is the price that it is and why people don't like it & why people do like it.
I love the ddm4000 for all that it can do, the midi capabilities i've used with Torq have been seamless, i'm not so sure how you would program it for Serato but in Torq it was easy as right click & turn the knob, click the button & it worked. The only thing with the midi control is (as far as I remember) is that you have to use 2 channels at a time in midi mode (someone please correct me if i'm wrong, its been a good year or 2 since I played with the midi on the DDM4000!)

Once I had got my Monitors that's when I really noticed the difference in why people are hating on it, the eqs seem very harsh and kind of staggered along with the up faders, not smooth like a Pioneer... Saying that tho, it's been a lot of fun, i'd never noticed it until my ears had fully woken up to the sounds of the monitors (i'm also a sound engineer so high fidelity ears ). I will keep using mine until it dies or I can afford to get something that offers anywhere near as much as it does.

I don't tend to use a lot of efx but they seem to work and they're definitely a bit of fun. You can side chain them aswell!

If your wanting efx, midi, 4 channels & have an innofader to go init for the money you can't go wrong, its a bit dated now, but there still isn't another mixer that comes in with nearly half of what the DDM4000 does for that price or even double the price!

Happy mixing...

Peace
Dia Laryea
Originally Posted by Will M.D
@Danek Hey dude, if you look at the previous posts in this thread you'll see how it was acquired
Dia Laryea
It's all been a bit interesting recently... Finally managed to get a New labtop (Lenovo Y580 i7, 8gb ram, 1tb hdd, 2gb Nvidia Graphics card, blu-ray re-writer!) & you'll never guess what else happened...

Yes that's right... I moved ! Although this time i've moved out of a Flat and into a Caravan with my Mum!

We've spent the last 6 weeks travelling around, did Uk for 2 weeks before heading over to France where we've now been for 4 weeks. Was hoping to move out here but it seems even worse economically here than in UK so, hoping to come back refreshed & look for some Land to start building an eco self sustainable life!

For the first time having a bit of spare cash & in the spirit of moving out & not having to actually worry about keeping my Deposit I thought screw it & bought myself an S4

DSCF0458.jpg
Had to set it up before moving out didn't I

If you fancy following what i've been upto please have a look over on the blog i've started...
http://heaven7heaven.blogspot.co.uk

Peace
That graffiti poster is really tight man, did you make it?
Marybelle Ver
@Drozas - I'd say go for it. I still have my Xponent after a good 5+ years of abusing it. No real problems & I never really had any problems with Torq (still don't have problems with it)

@Mdcdesign - Avid are a bunch of Muppets if you ask me. Torq rocked & should have buried Serato & Traktor but just got left behind eventually. Such a shame...

You should see my name all over the Torq community s

*edit* Just found a few setup piccys just before moving out...

DSCF0373.jpg
Before dissmantling.

DSCF0421.jpg
Vinyl & Digital

DSCF0425.jpg
At Damn Rights live during an NSB radio show
Doreen Schurle
It's all been a bit interesting recently... Finally managed to get a New labtop (Lenovo Y580 i7, 8gb ram, 1tb hdd, 2gb Nvidia Graphics card, blu-ray re-writer!) & you'll never guess what else happened...

Yes that's right... I moved ! Although this time i've moved out of a Flat and into a Caravan with my Mum!

We've spent the last 6 weeks travelling around, did Uk for 2 weeks before heading over to France where we've now been for 4 weeks. Was hoping to move out here but it seems even worse economically here than in UK so, hoping to come back refreshed & look for some Land to start building an eco self sustainable life!

For the first time having a bit of spare cash & in the spirit of moving out & not having to actually worry about keeping my Deposit I thought screw it & bought myself an S4

DSCF0458.jpg

If you fancy following what i've been upto please have a look over on the blog i've started...

Peace
Torq? Good boy

I still hate Avid for killing it
Salome Latzer
I believe I can grab a torq xponent for 100
Marybelle Ver

DSCF0458.jpg

Peace
Marybelle Ver
A little update & panoramic photo of the lounge & booth

Recently bought some Yamaha HS-50m Monitors, amazing sounds.

Setup2013.jpg
Marybelle Ver
Sorry for the late reply.. back in the Uk now, still caravanning ! (cough pikey scum)

so.. as far as I can remember (its been a couple months now since using the DDM4k) you can assign a high,mid or low pass filter on both the efx channels & then the knobs act as wet dry, however... it works differently for either high or low pass ie sweep left to right for one and then sweep right to left for the other... does get a bit of a brain ache/evening mare if you forget which ones what tho!

Hope that helps!

Ooo... also found a pic of the 'away on holiday' setup !

DSCF0692.jpg

Peace
Doreen Schurle
Ok thanks! Could be cool to get it solved. Also looked into the RMX-80 for a new mixer. Have the RMX-40 now.
Ditto, RMX-40 USB (the one with the silver knobs). I was debating whether to refurbish the RMX with uprated (damped) faders and pots, or buy the RMX-80, but now that the Z1's out I'll probably go for that instead.
Hank Guidas
Doreen Schurle
DJM600-style, as far as I know. I'm pretty sure the cheapest mixer with a manual filter is the NOX606, but even that's a bit confusing... pretty sure it's A&H-style, with the two separate assignable filter knobs for A/B. The RMX-80 is a good non-Pioneer option for a mixer with a dedicated HPF/LPF filter on all 4 channels.

EDIT: Apparently the DDM4K is similar to the NOX606 in that it has assignable filters, although I'm not sure how manual they are as they use an encoder for the parameters like the DJMs; the knob seems to be for wet/dry but that might self-reassign when using the filter mode. I'll let Will answer that one for you
Hank Guidas
Marybelle Ver
Originally Posted by Danek
It's Only taken me 9 long Years to get all of the stuff I have now... Patience young one, it will come

Originally Posted by momo217
I have been really believeing of getting a ddm4000. I have an innofader to put in it already. I am mainly a scratch dj and Ive heard good and bad things about the mixer. I believe it would suit me perfectly, both financially and creatively. What are your thoughts on it? I use Serato by the way. Does it map well for midi use? How are the effects? Thanks in advance.
I'd say its worth the money, but if your used to using high quality mixers you'll really notice why it is the price that it is and why people don't like it & why people do like it.
I love the ddm4000 for all that it can do, the midi capabilities i've used with Torq have been seamless, i'm not so sure how you would program it for Serato but in Torq it was easy as right click & turn the knob, click the button & it worked. The only thing with the midi control is (as far as I remember) is that you have to use 2 channels at a time in midi mode (someone please correct me if i'm wrong, its been a good year or 2 since I played with the midi on the DDM4000!)

Once I had got my Monitors that's when I really noticed the difference in why people are hating on it, the eqs seem very harsh and kind of staggered along with the up faders, not smooth like a Pioneer... Saying that tho, it's been a lot of fun, i'd never noticed it until my ears had fully woken up to the sounds of the monitors (i'm also a sound engineer so high fidelity ears ). I will keep using mine until it dies or I can afford to get something that offers anywhere near as much as it does.

I don't tend to use a lot of efx but they seem to work and they're definitely a bit of fun. You can side chain them aswell!

If your wanting efx, midi, 4 channels & have an innofader to go init for the money you can't go wrong, its a bit dated now, but there still isn't another mixer that comes in with nearly half of what the DDM4000 does for that price or even double the price!

Happy mixing...

Peace
Vickie Scheier
Vickie Scheier
Dude, i wanna hang out with your crew. You guys look like you know how to have a good time! Nice job on you set up as well.
Dia Laryea
@Danek Hey dude, if you look at the previous posts in this thread you'll see how it was acquired
Marybelle Ver
Dia Laryea

DSCF0458.jpg

Peace
That graffiti poster is really tight man, did you make it?
Marybelle Ver
@Drozas - I'd say go for it. I still have my Xponent after a good 5+ years of abusing it. No real problems & I never really had any problems with Torq (still don't have problems with it)

@Mdcdesign - Avid are a bunch of Muppets if you ask me. Torq rocked & should have buried Serato & Traktor but just got left behind eventually. Such a shame...

You should see my name all over the Torq community s

*edit* Just found a few setup piccys just before moving out...

DSCF0373.jpg
Before dissmantling.

DSCF0421.jpg
Vinyl & Digital

DSCF0425.jpg
At Damn Rights live during an NSB radio show
Doreen Schurle

DSCF0458.jpg

Peace
Torq? Good boy

I still hate Avid for killing it
Bryon Taglieri
First I was like cool set up and then I saw the kittens and I stopped noticing the gear what is with cats and turntables they love to sit on them. The Bose pa photo reminds me of when I lived in a flat and we had a bass cabinet hooked up to the stereo which had a 18 inch and two ten inch speakers reggae always sounded good. I remember walking down the streat a block away and hearing won of my records that my house mate was playing.
Salome Latzer
I believe I can grab a torq xponent for 100
Marybelle Ver

DSCF0458.jpg

Peace
Marybelle Ver
A little update & panoramic photo of the lounge & booth

Recently bought some Yamaha HS-50m Monitors, amazing sounds.

Setup2013.jpg
Marybelle Ver
Thought I'd explain where the front 'Sounds of the Streets' of the deck stand came from...

I put on an event for Canterbury Festival Fringe in 2011 with the idea being all things Hip Hop!
Unfortunately the Break dancers & Mcs pulled out 2 weeks before the show but either way it went down pretty well.

Had Live turntablists, linked up to Virtual DJ running a live Webcam feed along with 'Scratch' being faded over it and cut in out visualy via a projector.

Gear: 4x Technics, TTM57SL, DDM4000 innofader, Serato, VDJ & Xponent (Visuals), Projector! Some LaBtops & Vinyl

Also live grafitti artists and an Mc!

Enjoy

The day I picked it up!

The NIght...

From left>right DJ Race, Doolittle, Buttaphingaz, Mc Soloman.

Haha

DJ Readybreak

In a 3 way mix...

Original Gee AWE - on a Train Canvas

Squirl up to some live Grafitti.

@ the end of the evening it got cut up and raffled off!

One of the lucky winners (a few days later)... (DJ Darco)

Good times...

Peace Thanks for looking.
Marybelle Ver
Damn Right live in the Mix on www.nsbradio.co.uk NI F1 Style.

Gotta love a bit of masking tape to stop the platter from moving!

Torq & Traktor, Xponent & F1 working together as a force to be reckoned with

Get the DL of the 4 hour mix.

Blogspot/Podcast

* note * This show is Not uploaded to the blog yet, should be sometime this week - Show #140

Peace
Marybelle Ver
Facing the wall is no fun, so had a bit of a re-rig with the setup...

Peace
Marybelle Ver
Originally Posted by OmniRoss
Easy Will, What are the speaker stands made out of in this picture..?

07012008216.jpg

Cheers
Ez OmniRoss,

I can't remember what exactly the brackets are called, see pic below. Cost less than
Annalisa Shogren
Easy Will,

What are the speaker stands made out of in this picture..?

07012008216.jpg

Cheers
Marybelle Ver
Originally Posted by R2D2
Easy Will D hows things still using torq ? checked your thread and gona add some input

my boy
Hey dude Gotta love a Black Cat.

Yeah still rocking Torq, for the moment!

Originally Posted by R2D2
and jesus how old is that laptop now bruv hope your well m8
iirc 5 yrs old now, its still going strong. Recently formatted & reinstalled everything & its still runs like new!
Amazing what some tweaks & a laptop cooling pad will do!

Hope your well dude. You know, Essex isn't too far away!

Take it your still in the Game... Hope everythings going well.

Peace
Rolande Posso
and jesus how old is that laptop now bruv hope your well m8
Rolande Posso
Easy Will D hows things still using torq ? checked your thread and gona add some input

my boy
Marybelle Ver
Its an Odyssey L-Stand

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/odyss...ack/265155-01/

You can get them cheaper.

Comes with Free standing legs & clamps, which you can clamp Vertical or horizontal.

They're pretty strong. Not sure what the recommended weight capacity is!

I guess you might be able to do something like what I did when I borrowed my mates Denon DNS1000...

Peace
Francene Klimmek
Wats the name of the stand you have your xponent on. Will it support 2 cdj 900s?
Elmer Kindinger
I now suddenly miss my Xponant and want a DDM4000...
Marybelle Ver
Nah its just life... It's always changing & I always have to end up moving... I guess i'm used to it now but it'd be nice to stop in 1 place for a while!

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy