eataskdotcom's set up

eataskdotcom's set up
Posted on: 25.12.2011 by Mellisa Calenda
Back at my parent's house for break, so no shots of my at home set up yet. My usual set up: the two Kontrol x1's, Audio 8, and my DDM4000 (which usually gets left at home but there was no DJM at this gig).

Mellisa Calenda
Originally Posted by neogeo
i'm looking in something like your last setup (DJM 850 + 2 CDJ 700) for my home booth!!! how bad are the cdj's 700 in midi mode? poor jog resolution? bug's?
There were a few things actually: First jog resolution was poor, as you mentioned and using them for time code had far more fluid feeling response. Second most of the buttons could not he held, save for the cue and play button. For example you want to program in a shift button to delete cute points. The shift button has to be toggle instead of hold because most of the buttons on the player send one momentary signal when they are first clicked but stop after that. Very unusual to say the least but not insurmountable. Another thing was the brows encoder, instead of sending an encoder signal, like you would expect, it send a button press signal once per tick for clockwise and another for counterclockwise. This would have been fine, if implemented correctly, however it was kind of buggy. If I was tying to scroll down let's say it would scroll 3 down and 1 up. It was not particularly precise, to say the least.

Other then those gripes they were solid player and for the price I really cannot complain. I would like to get my hands on a pair of pioneer players with hid as the large form factor of cdj'sis quite enjoyable to mix on compared to something smaller like an s4 though, albeit not as practical.
Cleora Herris
Originally Posted by eataskdotcom
I've always wondered if you could connect the midi ports on a controller like the apc40 to a sound card, say audio 8 which is connected via usb to another computer and have the apc control functions on both computers. I.e. Audio 8 is connected via usb to computer A and the APC is connected via usb to computer B. But the midi ports on the APC and audio 8 are connected to each other. Can you now use the apc on both computers simultaneously?

WOW that's one i haven't thought of before but it believe it is possible. sometime i link up with a buddy of mine and we midi sync over ethernet instead of midi cable. i believe it is possible to send note messages also.

i will try next week when i join up with that buddy of mine.
Mellisa Calenda
Originally Posted by RawSewage

I've got an APC40 and maschine now.
using maschine as a plugin in ableton an got traktor routed into it.

at the moment i'm trying(and more or less succeeding) to send midi note's from the apc40 in ableton thru to traktor.

about three hours later i got two buttons working....:eek:
I've always wondered if you could connect the midi ports on a controller like the apc40 to a sound card, say audio 8 which is connected via usb to another computer and have the apc control functions on both computers. I.e. Audio 8 is connected via usb to computer A and the APC is connected via usb to computer B. But the midi ports on the APC and audio 8 are connected to each other. Can you now use the apc on both computers simultaneously?
Cleora Herris
Haha, I actually have. 4 decks up the bottom two are just minimized at that exact moment, but usually am using 4 decks.

I guess I went through all that gear because it just took me a wile to find the set up that really fit my work flow and had the proper amount of control I was looking for.

The main piece of gear I'm looking forward to is the xone k2. Ideally I would like to replace my two x1's with a couple of those. Native gear's all right but its kinda kid quality compared to Allen and Heath. But that is just my humble opinion.
I know what you mean. i have been altering my gear for about 16 years now and i still can't find my favorite setup.

at the moment i'm trying(and more or less succeeding) to send midi note's from the apc40 in ableton thru to traktor.

Yes the K2, i was wondering if there wil be a version without the audiointerface. hmmm
Mellisa Calenda
Wow.. what a change of gear, wich i had the bucks for that..

don't understand one thing... why all that gear? lookin at your first picture playing "just" two decks?

you've got a mixer that (supports midi) and two x1's..

bit of overkill , or are u a gearslut just like me? ..

Bet u are eyeballing this one...
Haha, I actually have. 4 decks up the bottom two are just minimized at that exact moment, but usually am using 4 decks.

I guess I went through all that gear because it just took me a wile to find the set up that really fit my work flow and had the proper amount of control I was looking for.

The main piece of gear I'm looking forward to is the xone k2. Ideally I would like to replace my two x1's with a couple of those. Native gear's all right but its kinda kid quality compared to Allen and Heath. But that is just my humble opinion.
Gaynell Rydberg
Downsized?

>.> You have a 40" TV right there lol.

I'm really considering getting a TV to put up above my desktop, but I am gonna be moving in a year. Nice speaker stands :P

I'm jealous of how clean your desk is.
Mellisa Calenda
I moved recently and downsized quite a bit. I ended up selling my beloved DJM 850 and x1's (the controllers i had owned for the longest :[) and bought an S4. My desk is quite a bit less cluttered and more ready for real people work. It would seem I am growing up /bittersweet.

Sorry for the blurriness the panorama got a little wierd
Thomas Dresel
that's a shame! i was looking for something solid as CDJ's that wasn't Pio gear!!! you know because of the price tag and all (mostly that) guess i'm gonna forget CDJ's 700 because of the buggy midi mode! might as well go with Pio 850's and even them don't hold such a great reputation in midi mode!!!
Mellisa Calenda
Originally Posted by neogeo
i'm looking in something like your last setup (DJM 850 + 2 CDJ 700) for my home booth!!! how bad are the cdj's 700 in midi mode? poor jog resolution? bug's?
There were a few things actually: First jog resolution was poor, as you mentioned and using them for time code had far more fluid feeling response. Second most of the buttons could not he held, save for the cue and play button. For example you want to program in a shift button to delete cute points. The shift button has to be toggle instead of hold because most of the buttons on the player send one momentary signal when they are first clicked but stop after that. Very unusual to say the least but not insurmountable. Another thing was the brows encoder, instead of sending an encoder signal, like you would expect, it send a button press signal once per tick for clockwise and another for counterclockwise. This would have been fine, if implemented correctly, however it was kind of buggy. If I was tying to scroll down let's say it would scroll 3 down and 1 up. It was not particularly precise, to say the least.

Other then those gripes they were solid player and for the price I really cannot complain. I would like to get my hands on a pair of pioneer players with hid as the large form factor of cdj'sis quite enjoyable to mix on compared to something smaller like an s4 though, albeit not as practical.
Brunilda Kora
WOW that's one i haven't thought of before but it believe it is possible. sometime i link up with a buddy of mine and we midi sync over ethernet instead of midi cable. i believe it is possible to send note messages also.

I'll be gobsmacked (and PLEASANTLY surprised!) if this works.

1 controller - 2 computers? That would be awesome. You might need to customise each control for each computer (maybe have each computer sending/receiving midi on a distinct channel) but if it works this would open some pretty cool possibilities...
Thomas Dresel
Mellisa Calenda
It's been a wile but here are some more updates:
Sold the Xone DX and audio and got a couple new additions in the summer of 2012

DJM 850 + HDJ 2000's

Got to close for LA Riots in the fall of that year, it was my biggest gig yet. It was pretty awesome. (DJM 850 x1+x1 setup) I tag teamed with my buddy who I sold my DDM4000 to, you can see it on the right.

Had some 1200's for a wile, very fun.

[
Got rid of the technics's had a pair of Gemini CDJ-700's for a while. Whish the midi worked better or they had HID in traktor not just virtual DJ but oh well. I sold these and am now back to just the DJM-850 and my 2 Kontrol X1's
Cleora Herris

Mellisa Calenda
Finally got picts of the current set up online.

Replaced the DDM4000 with a Xone DX. I love the build quality of A&H Gear and was looking for something that would be easier to transport then the Mixer+ two x1's + audio 8 when i just wanted to jam with friends.

You can see my ENVY tucked away in the corner. A solid computer, I'm so happy it runs dual monitors

I've also been using this pair of Stanton T.62's just for fun. these turntables aren't the best but its nice to play around with vinyl again.

So that brings the total up to:
Audio 8 DJ
2x KRK r6's
Xone: DX
2x Kontrol x1's
2x Stanton T.62's
Pioneer HDJ-500

Mellisa Calenda

Cleora Herris

I know what you mean. i have been altering my gear for about 16 years now and i still can't find my favorite setup.

Yes the K2, i was wondering if there wil be a version without the audiointerface. hmmm
Mellisa Calenda

don't understand one thing... why all that gear? lookin at your first picture playing "just" two decks?

Cleora Herris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGxd1Cm2_Sc
Deja Veltre
Well I have the 518s(same thing but with big ugly blinds on em). Do you know if they sell a shorter chord?
Mellisa Calenda
Haha if you talking about the hd555s gotta agree about the looks, but hey they are a real nice set of headphones for propper listening/monitoring or going to the bathroom wile they are still plugged in.
Deja Veltre
i have the same headphones that i got for xmas. they sound great but they are hard to look at, you can't take them anywhere and the chord is 10ft long. I feel down a flight of stairs because of the chord.
Mellisa Calenda
I'm pretty much always using syn now. Running 4 decks and trying to manually beach match is a pretty big pain in the butt, and as far as I see going manual doesn't make my performances any better. I just make sure my grids are always set properly in advance.
France Evoniuk
That first picture is wicked. A question, do you use Sync, or beatmatch with the pitchbend buttons?
Mellisa Calenda
First layer is just the standard Deck A + B on one C + D on the other, my midi layer has a bunch of different fx presets/groups I can switch thought for each of the fx units. Also master clock control is on the midi layer.
Judi Sissel
I running almost the same setup. How do you have you X1's set up if you dont mind me asking?
Mellisa Calenda
A quick time line:

My first set up, M-audio exponent running torq. Also pictured, my trust Sennheiser HD-555's

Second came my Stanton T.80, Behringer VMX400, M-Audio Connective time code set up.

Then came the time of many many midi controllers: NanoKontrol, NanoPad, Launch Pad, DJX700, and two Dj-tech Kontrol Ones.

Replaced all the controllers minus the launch pad with a Xone 1D and Xone 2D

Flash forward after Christmas, I sold everything piece by piece and bough a DDM4000, Audio 8, two x1s, HDJ-500's and some KRKs. I do admit I miss my launch pad, such a great controller.

Since this picture was taken I upgraded to my i7 HP ENVY (which i absolutely love ), gotten dual monitors and cleaned up my desk space. Hopefully I will be able to post picts of the current at home set up soon.

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy