Dustin V's Set Up

Dustin V's Set Up
Posted on: 29.11.2011 by Candy Vardy
Hey guys, well it all started way back in 2001, but at that time I didn't have any gear of my own. Instead I was using my friends gear which was 2 crappy Gemini TT's, a Gemini PS626 mixer, and a crate of vinyls. Thats where I first learnt to mix, and fell in love with DJ'ing.

Fast forward a few years to 2005, and I started taking DJ'ing a little more seriously. I still had no gear of my own, but I knew it was something I wanted to do which was more than just a hobby. At this time I had only a pair of shitty Sony headphones and a CD case full of CD's, still none of my own gear....

Fast forward again to 2007, and this is where I actually really bought my first gear. This is the time when a friend introduced me to digital Dj'ing by giving me copy of his VDJ. Until this time I was only playing with CD's, but soon fell for the convenience, and potential of digital DJ'ing. I then decided to get something more professional than mixing with a copy of VDJ, laptop, and a mouse, so I went to GC, and bought a Hercules RMX, and a pair of Senneiser HD205's.

I loved it, it opened a whole new world of DJ'ing for me. The RMX was awesome, but after some time though I started to feel very limited with VDJ. Fast forward to 2009, and a friend of mine also a DJ, then told me about Traktor. He gave me a cracked copy.... I know.... Anyway it was awesome, Traktor with my RMX was wayyyyy better than VDJ for me, and I loved Traktor. It was then that R.G.A.S. set in and I wanted to get something more serious, and professional.

Fast forward to last year 2010, the release of the world famous Kontrol S4. Well what more can I say, I just had to have it. So in early 2011 after saving and saving, I sold my RMX, and upgraded to the S4, an X1, and an Audio 2. I was in love... Also just to mention, a few months before that I had also bought a new MBP, crane stand, and some new Pioneer HDJ 2000's.... R.G.A.S. I'm telling you!!!

So the S4 was amazing, I loved it except for one thing.... It was too big. I travel a lot, and it was just too big for me, so after believeing long and hard I decided to sell it. It was a sad day indeed, but it had to be done. After that I was back in the market for something new, professional, and more compact.

Fast forward a few more months, and to my joy, the Novation Twitch was released. Well after seeing, and reading all the hype on it, I just had to have it. I bought the Twitch and my set up was complete again.

So at the time of this going to print my set up currently consists of:

2011 MBP 15" i7 8GB 500HDD
Novation Twitch
Traktor Kontrol X1
Pioneer HDJ 2000
Traktor Audio 2
Crane stand
UDG 21" Backpack trolley

Candy Vardy
Originally Posted by czanier
Awesome setup dude
Thanks mate!

Originally Posted by b0lstad
But their SSDs are soooo small, how can you live with like 256, or 512 gb?
Well thats not a big issue for me as I only store my music on my laptop. For everything else I use external drives. I have the top end 13" with a 512 GB SSD, and its not even 50% full. So far I have not felt the need to have a bigger hard drive, only bigger externals!
Jaime Langohr
Originally Posted by Dustin V
Seeing that I was in the market for a new laptop and after Apple released the new MBP's a few days ago, I couldn't resist the urge and my RGAS. So yesterday I went in and picked up the new 13" MBPr. Just did a transfer from my old Mac with Time Machine.. Man this thing is blazing fast compared to my old MBP and Mavericks looks and works great.

Candy Vardy
Originally Posted by Jester
what are your impressions of the Mk2 version mate?
Well I have not received it yet. I'll only get my hands on it tomorrow..

But I will post a first thoughts review on it for you guys wanting to know.
Hipolito Scionti
I got one too... it's wicked! i'm glad ive still got my mki too though. one of each is sort of perfect for me
Jaime Langohr
Then that's obviously not a problem for you
I'm a student, so got all my papers on it as well. Got 750 GB now, and thats almost full (mostly with because of my music). So for so long I'm gonna stick to my HDD
Candy Vardy
Originally Posted by czanier
Awesome setup dude
Thanks mate!

Originally Posted by b0lstad
Well thats not a big issue for me as I only store my music on my laptop. For everything else I use external drives. I have the top end 13" with a 512 GB SSD, and its not even 50% full. So far I have not felt the need to have a bigger hard drive, only bigger externals!
Lilliana Perris
Thats how many many people do it.
Jaime Langohr
I've been on the thought, but I've read that some says that it isn't a good solution to have you traktor libary on an external harddisk.
Lilliana Perris
With the user of an External Drive.

Jaime Langohr
Originally Posted by Dustin V
Seeing that I was in the market for a new laptop and after Apple released the new MBP's a few days ago, I couldn't resist the urge and my RGAS. So yesterday I went in and picked up the new 13" MBPr. Just did a transfer from my old Mac with Time Machine.. Man this thing is blazing fast compared to my old MBP and Mavericks looks and works great.

Alene Freeze
Awesome setup dude
Candy Vardy

Felipe Rasper
Cool gear! Love it!!
Candy Vardy
And here they are, all together one happy family!

Pic taken at a gig I did last evening .

Candy Vardy
Thanks bro, loving the 900 and X1 combo!
Felipe Rasper
Goed bezig ;-)

Cool gear upgrade man!

I have the X1MK2 myself and love it, gonna add a second one soon. Also the DJM900 is highly on my list.
Candy Vardy
RGAS overload! My latest additions to my set up.

1 x Pioneer DJM 900 nexus

1 x Sennheiser hd 25 Aluminium UBER mod.

I'm really loving this mixer so far, and the headphones sound amazing!

Lilliana Perris
Tsek met al jou speelgoed!

LOL

You can map the Full Screen Browser vibe if you don't like it I guess and also the step increments of the scroll.
Candy Vardy
Ok mini first thoughts review time!

Firstly I'm loving the X1 mk2 so far! It's built super tight, and looks like a good step up from the mk1. I also really like the kontrol stand, its awesome. I like the touch strips, they really neat, and work well. They kind of remind me of my Novation Twitch. I still need to play around with it some more, but so far so good!

Now for my first gripe. The only thing I don't like is when I use the browse encoder to search my playlist, it automatically go's into full browse screen and minimizes the track decks. Then I have to press the browse encoder to switch it back to normal. Then when I move it again, it go's back again.. Grrrrrr.. It's a bit irritating, but I will see if I can deal with it somehow. Also is there a way to decrease the percentage increments for the tempo adjust encoder when you press and hold shift? I noticed that the increments are not very fine?

Latoria Kavulich
sweet.
Candy Vardy
Well I have not received it yet. I'll only get my hands on it tomorrow..

But I will post a first thoughts review on it for you guys wanting to know.
Hipolito Scionti
I got one too... it's wicked! i'm glad ive still got my mki too though. one of each is sort of perfect for me
Latoria Kavulich
Candy Vardy
So guys as my RGAS continues, last evening I added a new addition to my set up.

Hello X1 mk2 and a Kontrol stand!

Candy Vardy
Thanks bro, can't wait to get my fingers on this one!
Hipolito Scionti
Congrats!

The djm900 nexus is a badman mixer :-)
Candy Vardy
Hey guys, here's another update to my ongoing RGAS.

I finally after much researching and looking online I bought my first pro mixer to go with my turntables.

I was actually stuck between the DJM 850 and the Xone 92, but came across a deal that I couldn't refuse.

Hello Pioneer DJM 900 Nexus!

Candy Vardy
Wow over 15k hits already! Thanks for stopping by guys!
Candy Vardy
Hey guys, here's another update to my set up. I recently purchased a pair of Technics SL1210 MK2's.

I was lucky to get these in pretty good condition for only $670! Everything's working fine with them, I gave them a good cleaning, and I polished the platters. The only thing I'm going to do now is give them a respray, get some new blue led lights, and new needles.

Now I'm in the market for a new mixer, and then I believe I should be set! Well you never know with RGAS!

Candy Vardy
Thanks buddy, I do miss my first hd 25's though..
Jena Shutz
both sets of headphones are make me jealous ! ! they are freaking rad ! ! !
Candy Vardy
Originally Posted by PeterSkarzay
Woah,thee Dustin Vee is on DJTT?
Hey Peter, this is me the one and only!

Originally Posted by elmgroove
Hey Dustin! Question: how are you leveraging the X1 in your current setup? I'm looking at adding it to my simple S2 setup right now, primarily for more cue points and FX banks. But I'm open to other ideas, too.
Hey buddy, well I mostly use my X1 with my timecode. I don't normally use it with my S2, didn't really find a need for it, as my S2 mapping covers all my needs. When I have club gigs, with a decent set up I will bring my A6 along with my X1. I use my S2 mostly for smaller parties etc, when the provided gear isn't so great.
Christiana Ercolani
Hey Dustin! Question: how are you leveraging the X1 in your current setup? I'm looking at adding it to my simple S2 setup right now, primarily for more cue points and FX banks. But I'm open to other ideas, too.
Becky Momjian
Woah,thee Dustin Vee is on DJTT?
Latoria Kavulich
tie-dye headphones .. bloody hippies
Candy Vardy
Hey guys been a while but recently got my new headphones! My new babies.

Fully customized HD 25's with UV splatter, and Glow in the dark paint...

And soon there will be some new additions to my set up.. New MBP, Z2 and I'm still believeing about adding in a MFS, but not decided yet. Watch this space!

Candy Vardy
Originally Posted by aurynchild
my opinions (having both a rmx and twitch sitting on my desk)

the rmx is built like a truck and i love the feel of it under my fingers. still a great piece. never had a issue.
not to mention the pretty blue lights over silver body...

twitch so far is - so light and im so afraid if i dropped it, it might explode.
my knobs came real tight, pulling them up off the surface just a tad helped.
I miss the eq kills a lot. im not in love with itch either, trying to decide on working back into traktor
or keep playing around with itch, we'll see with serato dj coming soon if i can be swayed either way.

output has been about equal for me, though a lot of people say the twitch has weak output. ive not has any probs yet, though i have not played on any bigtime systems.

hope that helps you a little...
I will always miss my RMX, it was a solid reliable first controller, but after some time I was starting to feel quite limited hence me moving forward and updating to the S4.

I did like the Twitch, and enjoyed it a lot, but I wasn't a big fan of Itch, and also there were a few things bugging me about it. I also noticed that the knobs were stiff, and it did have a lower output compared to my S4 which I had previously. Shorty after buying the Twitch, NI released the S2, which was perfect for me. If the S2 had been released before the Twitch I would have probably gone for the S2 instead, and not even looked at the Twitch, but at that time it was the only controller best suited to my needs.

To be honest I don't really miss the Twitch actually, I really love my S2, I've made a few small adjustments to the DJTT S2 mapping and it does everything I need it to.

Although I have been looking a the VCI 400 quite a bit these days...
Santina Klarner
i've also got a hercules rmx +1
Tashia Vista
my opinions (having both a rmx and twitch sitting on my desk)

the rmx is built like a truck and i love the feel of it under my fingers. still a great piece. never had a issue.
not to mention the pretty blue lights over silver body...

twitch so far is - so light and im so afraid if i dropped it, it might explode.
my knobs came real tight, pulling them up off the surface just a tad helped.
i miss the eq kills a lot. im not in love with itch either, trying to decide on working back into traktor
or keep playing around with itch, we'll see with serato dj coming soon if i can be swayed either way.

output has been about equal for me, though a lot of people say the twitch has weak output. ive not has any probs yet, though i have not played on any bigtime systems.

hope that helps you a little...
Tashia Vista
Originally Posted by dave04045
I love the RMX! I followed the same path as you basically. Started off with the RMX and virtual DJ (hated it). I bough traktor, made my own MIDI map for it and controlled effects etc. with it. Hopefully I can add an X1 soon
me also - started with vdj and NO controller, just using my keyboard and mouse..
bought the hercules rmx with vdj for a while. than onto traktor which i love.

just bought the twitch, still struggling with itch a bit.

not found a proper map for traktor pro 2.6, any suggestions?

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy