Farringt0n mountain cabin setup

Farringt0n mountain cabin setup
Posted on: 17.10.2013 by Georgianna Tarrats
Ok, so I have been lurking here for quite some time, and got the general ideas from many of the Ikea builds here, had a lot of the parts already, so I have been slowly building it up over time. Some of my gear is pretty ancient :P

I started out with this (pretty sparse) and after loading it up, I found that the upper shelf could not really handle much weight, so I switched things around and rebuilt it.

So, I moved it out to the living room, put it all on wheels, and flipped the red tabletop over and rotated it 180 degrees and used the same holes to extend a lower platform and had more usable room, but still wasn't happy.

At the same time, I took apart my desktop that had most of my music software on it, and started mounting it in the upper left cubby. Took quite a while to get it all right and get the Lexan cut just how I wanted it, but after a while, I got it done.

Finally toevening , in anticipation of a few more upgrades that are to be coming shortly, I took another picture of the 95% finished booth.

Things that are going to be added:
Keyboard drawer under front shelf so that I can bring mixer out
Building speaker stands
Turntable shipped so that I can use my vinyl again

Both the laptop and the built in desktop can use the monitor, have another monitor if I want to install it.

Gear involved:
Mid 2009 Macbook OSX 10.7
Traktor Kontrol S2
Alesis Multimix 6FX
Alesis M1 Active Mk2 Monitors
Novation Launchpad
Two Pioneer CDJ-100s (have owned these tanks for more than 10 years now, still practically brand new)
Pioneer DJM-300 2 Channel mixer for the CD players
IBM Model M Keyboard from 1984
Georgianna Tarrats
So several things:

*For those interested in the monitor mount (its a 4 monitor mount with one arm for the monitor, another is out to the side for the laptop and I took a metal sheet music stand and drilled a vesa hole pattern in it then mounted it to the arm) I had a desktop before that used all 4 monitors, and when I went searching for a mount, most were really expensive. Then I found this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

41BC6yyDkKL.jpg

Comparable mounts cost upwards of 200$, and this was only 70 and is a tank.

*The computer:
I stripped out my older desktop case in order to do this, and even still it was not as easy as I thought it would be. Replacing anything now will be very difficult :/ The motherboard mount plate just barely fits, and if I had not mounted it to the wall, I would have had to use a second cubby in the rack. The mounts for the hard drive rack, were not very stable, and hard to find replacements for, I had to leave out the CD drive I was going to put in it, and shaping the Lexan front and back covers did not work as planned, mostly as I do not have a workshop or the proper tools. Back piece is fully mounted in place, so no easy access, front is hinged, so at least I can get in there. Cutting the holes for the front and back mounted fans was also no fun. But it works, its not terribly loud or hot, and the monitor can be used for the laptop or the desktop.

I just finished the home-made speaker stands that I found instructions for online, and moved the entire thing to a different wall, rewired it, and added a AT turntable so I can listen/record my vinyl again. Will get some more pictures later when I get done with work.
Georgianna Tarrats
Ok, so I have been lurking here for quite some time, and got the general ideas from many of the Ikea builds here, had a lot of the parts already, so I have been slowly building it up over time. Some of my gear is pretty ancient :P

I started out with this (pretty sparse) and after loading it up, I found that the upper shelf could not really handle much weight, so I switched things around and rebuilt it.

So, I moved it out to the living room, put it all on wheels, and flipped the red tabletop over and rotated it 180 degrees and used the same holes to extend a lower platform and had more usable room, but still wasn't happy.

At the same time, I took apart my desktop that had most of my music software on it, and started mounting it in the upper left cubby. Took quite a while to get it all right and get the Lexan cut just how I wanted it, but after a while, I got it done.

Finally toevening , in anticipation of a few more upgrades that are to be coming shortly, I took another picture of the 95% finished booth.

Things that are going to be added:
Keyboard drawer under front shelf so that I can bring mixer out
Building speaker stands
Turntable shipped so that I can use my vinyl again

Both the laptop and the built in desktop can use the monitor, have another monitor if I want to install it.

Gear involved:
Mid 2009 Macbook OSX 10.7
Traktor Kontrol S2
Alesis Multimix 6FX
Alesis M1 Active Mk2 Monitors
Novation Launchpad
Two Pioneer CDJ-100s (have owned these tanks for more than 10 years now, still practically brand new)
Pioneer DJM-300 2 Channel mixer for the CD players
IBM Model M Keyboard from 1984
Georgianna Tarrats
Ok, finished up what I am going to do until I pay off some debt.

Speaker stands finished except for painting if I decide to do it.
Georgianna Tarrats
So several things:

*For those interested in the monitor mount (its a 4 monitor mount with one arm for the monitor, another is out to the side for the laptop and I took a metal sheet music stand and drilled a vesa hole pattern in it then mounted it to the arm) I had a desktop before that used all 4 monitors, and when I went searching for a mount, most were really expensive. Then I found this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

41BC6yyDkKL.jpg

Comparable mounts cost upwards of 200$, and this was only 70 and is a tank.

*The computer:
I stripped out my older desktop case in order to do this, and even still it was not as easy as I thought it would be. Replacing anything now will be very difficult :/ The motherboard mount plate just barely fits, and if I had not mounted it to the wall, I would have had to use a second cubby in the rack. The mounts for the hard drive rack, were not very stable, and hard to find replacements for, I had to leave out the CD drive I was going to put in it, and shaping the Lexan front and back covers did not work as planned, mostly as I do not have a workshop or the proper tools. Back piece is fully mounted in place, so no easy access, front is hinged, so at least I can get in there. Cutting the holes for the front and back mounted fans was also no fun. But it works, its not terribly loud or hot, and the monitor can be used for the laptop or the desktop.

I just finished the home-made speaker stands that I found instructions for online, and moved the entire thing to a different wall, rewired it, and added a AT turntable so I can listen/record my vinyl again. Will get some more pictures later when I get done with work.
Malorie Suriano
The built in computer is a pretty awesome idea! Ive built several computers but I've never thought of building one into a booth haha, good job man!
Lang Abriel
Basically what I want to do...I drew up a sketch today, don't believe I"m going to go with the ikea components aside from the metal posts.

I like the two tier design, Im going to have a LARGE slide out for my computer keyboard, and production stuff, and then have it tuck under an upper level that has my TTs and mixer, using ergotron for monitor mounts but whatever you used looks very nice.

Thanks for the visualization since my sketch is lacking haha
Geri Jarra
that open air computer is very interesting. I've never seen that before

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy