The improvised DJ/production desk thread

Home :: What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup. :: The improvised DJ/production desk threadReply
The improvised DJ/production desk thread
Posted on: 16.09.2011 by Romelia Stankard
Update July 2012

Now that we can edit posts regardless of how old they are I thought I would post a few updates here for people looking to build one of these and compile some past posts since I get PMs about it every one in a while. Please read through this thread and post any questions in here before PMing me, I will see your post I promise. I will be happy to answer any questions in this thread and if you plan to do it differently then it's best to plan it out carefully but my build works very well and is very sturdy.

This is a pretty easy DIY project but you will need some basic skills and tools and be able to figure some things out on your own- if you need a list of every single screw and washer I used and step by step instructions this project is probably not for you.

Here is the full parts list I used in my build- all parts are picked out specifically for the dual expedit configuration I used so keep that in mind if you are going to modify it you need to check if it will work:

Two 2x8 expedits: $140 http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10103088/
3 lillangen leg frames $25 each for $75 (must be this exact model for the correct width of two expedits: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40205194/)
4 godmorgon legs: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10177767/ $8 each for $32 total
You may be able to get away with two depending on what you use for a monitor stand to mount on top, but the second set is to get another mounting bracket/screw to make a straight stand that you can bolt and screw a piece of plywood into
you will need top plates for the monitor stand, I had two spare ones from some floor monitor stands I just screwed in. You could screw into a shelf (preferably not the cheap hollow lack) or just a piece of wood from lowes spray painted might be easier and what I would do if I didn't have the metal plates. These are the metal plates I used from these stands: http://www.amazon.com/OnStage-SMS600.../dp/B000CD3QYM

Optional: 3x dioder light kits http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50192365/ $120. You can use fewer depending on how you want to light it

2x capita brackets http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40051196/ $15

From lowes/home depot: you can get nice 1/2"x12" by however long wood you want your shelf and they can cut it to the length of the shelf and you can spray paint or stain it. This is better than using an ikea shelf since you need to screw into it. You can use this for monitor stands too.

You will need two long metric bolts and large washers for the capita brackets. These are the exact bolts I used from Lowes: http://www.lowes.com/pd_214487-37672...RL=&facetInfo=
M10-1.50 x 75

You will then need some long thin bolts to bolt the godmorgon legs through the expedit with some fat 1" diameter washers for each bolt. I had to enlarge each hole on the bracket slightly. Don't try to screw these in they need to be bolted through with big washers. I forget the exact bolts I used but go to the store and shop around a bit and look through the pictures in here.

Then you will just need misc screws to secure the leg frame and some drill bits and such. you will also want some brackets to secure the expedits together (again, look at the pictures)

Also the headphone hooks from Ikea which are awesome: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60152590/

Here are some pictures I took a couple months ago from when I rearranged my apartment and moved the booth which gives you some more details on how it was put together since I didn't take as many pics as I could have when I put it together (it also held up perfectly fine moving it by myself sliding it on it's side on the floor and then turning it back upright from on it's side with all the weight on the legs, though it was a pain in the ass doing it alone).

I drilled a bunch of extra holes in the leg frames to mount it better just to make sure they are sturdy, it is easy to drill though and I don't believe there are enough holes if you just use the stock ones.

Here are some more posts in this thread with more in progress pictures (keep in mind some of the stuff like the lack shelves didn't get used in the final design):

http://community .djranking s.com/showthr...l=1#post353617

http://community .djranking s.com/showthr...l=1#post359366

Original Post:
I saw a couple ideas for things hacked together from ikea parts but I don't really have a table saw or tools at my new place so I want something with minimal cutting.

Basically I need to fit two technics, s4 in flight case, mpk49, ipad, maybe an apc40, maschine, and 2 x1's (though some of those can stay stored away) and maybe some storage space for vinyl underneath but I have other spots for that too. I have monitor stands made of pipe I can bolt onto whatever I do.

So I would love to see some idea.
Katelyn Hoctor
Originally Posted by Tobes
Can I ask if anyone has managed to sort out some sort of joint DJ and Production setup?

I have a load of new gear and some lovely Adam A7X monitors so I need to build a desk to have it all on. However I will also want to make use of the speakers when producing so I'm believeing really I need one either side of me. But not really possible if I also want them in the DJ section. Am I asking too much do you believe? Only have my bedroom so trying to get the most out of the space I have. I could post pics of it if anyone can come up with some ideas.
for my dj/ production desk i built it large enough to fit all my stuff on one level keys and mixer/ midi controllers and raised the monitors and screens to fit ideal height total cost for desk was
Milda Poucher
Can I ask if anyone has managed to sort out some sort of joint DJ and Production setup?

I have a load of new gear and some lovely Adam A7X monitors so I need to build a desk to have it all on. However I will also want to make use of the speakers when producing so I'm believeing really I need one either side of me. But not really possible if I also want them in the DJ section. Am I asking too much do you believe? Only have my bedroom so trying to get the most out of the space I have. I could post pics of it if anyone can come up with some ideas.
Xochitl Rubalcaba
can the capita legs be fixed both ends if not is there a way of making them so there can
Jed Kitsos
image.jpg
Palma Hanslip
Updated photo: Got a new glass head for my headphones which i believes pretty cool even though it's not ikea!

Dolores Creswell
hey guys

thanks for your opinion...
@ MCMaxx: I used this tabletop dude LINNMON (150x75) here german link http://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/pr...350/#/20251356
It's pretty perfect when you must save the space behind :P

@hellnegative: My cat got an blanket behind the Mixer It's here new favorite place to sleep, cause of the height

I will post a few pics in approx 45 minutes with the new setup
Emelina Chillson
How often do your cats climb up that post an onto the decks?
Cinthia Kolodziejski
Hey Illinspecta ! Nice stuff !

What's the table top that you put on the expedit to make it wider ? It'd be great if you could give me the ikea reference !
Dolores Creswell
Hey guys,

i'm new in this community .

I've started Dj'ing a bit a few years ago but got now money for that expensive hobby.

Now i'm able to buy gear step by step

First step was building and DJ-Desk al
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by bluegrassdj
hoping to get my hands on this to work on my finger dexterity

what the
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by Liambo
Latest photo of all my gear .. Just finished making the shelving unit to hold the CDJ's/RMX.. Finally my TT's are closer to me again!
Sorry for crap quality (iPhone 5 then resized with Photobucket).

Love how you placed the interface under your mbp. Clean as hell.
Klara Kinnebrew
Has anyone found a decent replacment for the angled legs yet that have been discontinued?
Adalberto Boismier
Originally Posted by bluegrassdj
^ looks a tad crowded. other than that, nice setup.

what's with everyone putting their setups against the wall? i would want to have mine facing the room like djbonzaii and i'd want the speakers on the other side of the room so i could get the full effect of the sound. that's just me.
I just don't have the space available to have it set up in that way

In an ideal world...
Lavinia Qualls
Yeah all IKEA

4'' capita legs (2x pack of 4)(you could use higher 6 or 8 but I'm 5'6'' so the 4 were enough)
Ullrik table leg (2x but it was called another name and the red ones were at clearance)
Pragel countertop (73-1/4'' uncut)
Capita brackets (pack of 2)
EKBY Amund shelf

Extremelly solid and heavy desk...about 70 kg really happy with the result
Doug Bieling
What parts was that using? All ikea ?
Lavinia Qualls
IMG_3532.jpg

Here's my version of the IKEA desk
I will be able to add a keyboard drawer later

On both side I can store a few cds as well as vinyl (where the minipod speakers are right now)
Doug Bieling
A lot of people just don't have the room.
Pam Stolley
^ looks a tad crowded. other than that, nice setup.

what's with everyone putting their setups against the wall? i would want to have mine facing the room like djbonzaii and i'd want the speakers on the other side of the room so i could get the full effect of the sound. that's just me.
Adalberto Boismier
After spending months oogling everybody's set-ups on this community I finally decided to make one for myself. So I spent today putting together this unit from various IKEA parts, I'm really happy with the outcome.

The only bits that aren't from IKEA are the pieces of oak I used as spacers beween the three levels.

As this is in my bedroom, it also doubles as a home entertainment system with my tv, xbox 360 and turntable (which is for listening purposes only, not DJing) all hooked up through my DJM800.

It's the perfect width for my CDJ1000s, DJM800, X1 and turntable. I have my Audio 6 and an external harddrive hidden under the speaker shelf with the USB cables coming through a hole to connect to my Macbook.

Latoyia Brozoski
Thank you

The complete room took one week. That includes painting the room, lay the laminate, construct my base
And I had flu with fever on by birthday during the process of work. That was terrible, but I planed the room about 5 weeks before I could start. Good planning is the half work

The little Monitor is only for looking TV
Pam Stolley
Originally Posted by djbonzaii
Thats my work

GoogleDriveFolder
nice.

how long did that take? nice touch with the lights. i hope those are ecofriendly and have some kind of diffuser.
i wouldn't mind seeing what that little monitor does.
Loyd Cilek
Originally Posted by Blkdragon
I had been searching for a proper setup for both production and Djing, without breaking the bank...nothing out there seemed to fit my needs, until 2 months ago I stumbled onto this thread. Inspiration was instant and came up with this, just completed today.
Love that. That's definitely the one thing I've noticed with the expedit mods everyone has been doing, because of the shelves you can't stand close enough so I like what you've done with the addition of a shelf inbetween.

Could you tell me what your speakers are sat on and how you affixed them to the poles?
Brunilda Kora
I used 4" screws with no problems. Come in about an inch from the edge of the tabletop.
Kory Carby
Would any one how to put a linnmon table top on a expedit bookcase I was believeing of bolting it down but I know the bolts won't be Flyaway with the talbe any ideas
Latoyia Brozoski
Nobody wants to see my face ...

No, most time I'm alone in my room. Weekends with friends my homies use the Barstools (I've got three) and the chikks are talking (as always) on the Couch
Emelina Chillson
How do people see your face past that gian tmonitor?
Latoyia Brozoski
Thats my work

GoogleDriveFolder
Edwina Fagel

Finally got this done. It's kinda tall at 100cm (39 inches) but the backpains are now gone and i'm kinda tall.
Wouldn't want to build another one soon but I love the outcome.
Lanelle Panarella
Originally Posted by buttermesilly
Hi, just new here and have built an ikea expedit Dj table.

I just used a standard 2x4 Ikea expedit and Vika tabletop on top of it (short guy so no use for capita legs)

Just want to ask for those that have the 2x4 expedits flat on the floor with no legs how stable are your setups? I find that my expedit has a very slight wobble when hit on the sides not so much wobble that it feels unstable just want to check if anyone has the same thing. Thanks.
I have that exact setup and its really nice, no problems and its sturdy!
Edwina Fagel

Spent all winter on this and it's almost done. All custom built, hand made and real wood.
Dawna Reichman
Hi, just new here and have built an ikea expedit Dj table.

I just used a standard 2x4 Ikea expedit and Vika tabletop on top of it (short guy so no use for capita legs)

Just want to ask for those that have the 2x4 expedits flat on the floor with no legs how stable are your setups? I find that my expedit has a very slight wobble when hit on the sides not so much wobble that it feels unstable just want to check if anyone has the same thing. Thanks.
Emelina Chillson
Hella nice bruv.
Jacqulyn Erbst
5b98b410a45511e2800922000a9e5110_7.jpg

Finally built a table for the apartment, and i have to say a very good investment for style and function!!!
Lannie Kutay
...............did you build that its sick!
Dewayne Helsel
184417_389164861174951_1438931445_n.jpg
Návrh stola.jpg
Allan Kinman
Originally Posted by Patch
That's a nice looking table - but it can't be usable? How can you scratch/juggle with the turntables that high, and that far away from you?

And if you don't scratch/juggle, why use Technics and a Z2?
Thanks! The table is quite usable though, I'm 6'1 almost 6'2, so its just right. I did change from battle mode to traditional setup just because they pitch control was more of a reach than I wanted it to be for how I use the decks.
No, I don't scratch, but I got the Technics because I like their durability and quality. I use to mix on my roommates Technics back in the day and so I went with what I was familiar with. The Z2? I needed DVS and I needed something to replace my Vestax PCV 275, so I killed two birds with that purchase. All in all it works great, really a dream to mix on this setup. I'm about 6-7 inches away from decks, but my reach more than makes up for that, not too much leaning going on that's for sure. But, that was the compromise as I had to set the deck table back some to make room for my other gear. But, nothing is out of reach or difficult to use.

The Chair? I haven't ordered it yet, but I want this: http://www.americanmusical.com/Item-...FQSg4Aod7GAA4g
Allan Kinman
Originally Posted by hellnegative
This table would be perfect. good job bruv. Being tall is hard when being a dj.
It it....
Allan Kinman
Originally Posted by Patch
That's a nice looking table - but it can't be usable? How can you scratch/juggle with the turntables that high, and that far away from you?

And if you don't scratch/juggle, why use Technics and a Z2?

It's quite usable being that I'm 6'1 almost 6'2. I have since changed the decks to the traditional position, because in battle mode the pitch control was a reach, but wasn't a stretch. I'm about 6-7 inches away from the decks. But, looks a very deceiving, they are right up on me. That is the compromise for the dual setup, as I need to make that space available so my other gear could fit up there and be accessible. However, my height and reach more than makes up for it.

No I don't scratch, but I used technics years ago when I roomed with this DJ. I mixed on his technics all the time until I could get my own pair, just use to them and his were pretty old, so the durability sold me too. The Z2? I had a Vestax 275 that was second hand before I got the Z2 and it was time for it to be upgraded. I didn't have DVS yet either, so the Z2 killed two birds.

I haven't ordered the chair yet, but I read about this and will probably invest in it:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item-...FYid4AodXBMACA
Emelina Chillson
This table would be perfect. good job bruv. Being tall is hard when being a dj.
Doug Bieling
I'd love to have something like the above. However do the decks not feel a bit far away when your djing? Is that the compromise needed though for the dual setup. It would be great to some up with some form of slider system to bring them forward when you want the traditional dj setup.

Great build though, looks amazing

Oh.. PS... What kind of chair do you use when seated?

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy