Residency in Ibiza up for grabs...

Home :: General Discussion :: Residency in Ibiza up for grabs...Reply
Residency in Ibiza up for grabs...
Posted on: 23.04.2009 by Mason Topolewski
So here's the thing:

After a year of looking for a new owner, Moby Dick's Ibiza has been bought, and unfortunately since I've just signed a contract for another year at my present residency, unfortunately I can't do it. So, they're looking for a new DJ!

Moby Dick's has been a bit of an Ibicencan institution for nearly 30 years, and there's been a good few of the island's big names cut their teeth on the decks in that wee bar, including DJ Gee (Bora Bora) and Graham Sahara (Current Pacha Funky Room resident, this year nominated for 3 DeeJay Mag awards).

I myself was resident there from 2004-2006, and have no hesitation in saying those were 2 of the best years of my life.

I'm not going to bullsh*t anyone, there's downsides - it's long hours (7pm-4am, 7 evening s a week), and the pay isn't amazing BUT the benefits far outweigh them:

• You get to live in Ibiza - the bar is a 10 min walk from Space and a fiver in a taxi to Pacha (and 1 min walk from the beach, if you like that kind of thing ). If you're on the ball, getting workers passes for the big clubs is not an issue.
  • Definitely good to have on your DJ CV
  • Ibiza is very much a 'who you know, not how good you are' place when it comes to getting gigs. If you want to get your foot in the door for some bigger gigs on the island, Moby's is a good place to start.
  • I've had some wild times playing down at Moby's, and anyone who's been there will tell you the same thing.
  • You couldn't ask for a better boss, seriously, Jim is a leg end.
  • Err. Free drugs, anyone?

So here's what they're after:

• A good, wide-ranging music collection - the first 3 hours of the shift are pretty quiet, so there's no problem with sticking cruise mode on with a playlist full of old soul, rock, funk, a few current charties... you know the score.
  • After 10, get on the decks, same kinda deal, but mash it up a bit, start getting more dancy.
  • After 12, it's House, House, House. Emphasis on funky feelgood, oldskool, and piano house. A wee scattering of electro is acceptable, but strictly NO minimal.
  • Getting the job means you're part of the Moby's family, which means you've got to be a bit of a personality in your own right, and be as good with the punters as you are with the music.
  • Ability to work and party on no sleep for 6 months a bonus.
  • Anyone from the EU can easily get a visa to work in spain. If you're from the States and already have a valid visa to work in spain, you're also welcome to apply.

If any of that madness sounds appealing to you, and you fancy taking 6 months out of your life that you'll never remember, only that they were 'Amazing... like spiritual, man...', send me a brief CV to rufuswhite at gmail dot com, and a mix no longer than 60 minutes to my SoundCloud dropbox. Just the House you'd play after 12pm is fine.

Good luck!

Fus
Xavier Emanuels
Originally Posted by mpetersen3
I heard it was Ean Golden.
lol oh no, so the rumor mill starts
Hertha Fang
Originally Posted by RufusWhite
Just a quick update - the guy who was on the island turned out to not know his arse from his elbow when it came to a mixing desk and playing in front of a crowd, so the search continues (I won't mention his DJTT username to save him any further embarrassment).

Damn if I would've known the search would go on for a while maybe I would throw my hat in the ring, or is it dice in the hat, or wait did that involve a cat?
sinior cliff
Originally Posted by Kaon
still lookin? i could give a dark drum and bass set but i dont believe theres any point huh...
Boh!

Back on topic;
Fus, i sent u a mix and email with all my info regarding availability, bio, the works.
Ryan Morales
Originally Posted by Rumblejazz
i wish you pansies would f*** *** sometimes
fk'n lol!

But yeah, this community owns.
Xavier Emanuels
Originally Posted by mpetersen3
lol oh no, so the rumor mill starts
Hertha Fang
Just a quick update - the guy who was on the island turned out to not know his arse from his elbow when it came to a mixing desk and playing in front of a crowd, so the search continues (I won't mention his DJTT username to save him any further embarrassment).

Damn if I would've known the search would go on for a while maybe I would throw my hat in the ring, or is it dice in the hat, or wait did that involve a cat?
sinior cliff
Originally Posted by Kaon
still lookin? i could give a dark drum and bass set but i dont believe theres any point huh...
Boh!

Back on topic;
Fus, i sent u a mix and email with all my info regarding availability, bio, the works.
Virginia Ortiz
Breana Singerman
Huh, was curious what was happening with this. Thanks for the update!
nayit ruiz jaramillo
Thats a real shame. So the search continues...
Come on guys someone has to nail this.

Ive been showing my girlfriend all this from the start. She worked for a few years as a Bar Supervisor in a Club i DJ at and she was like "wow if you could pull your finger out your arse and do that i could get a bar job there and it would be great"
Unfortuntaly shes got a great job here so she was talking drunken bollocks anyway. It was sweet dream whilst it lasted.
Mason Topolewski
Just a quick update - the guy who was on the island turned out to not know his arse from his elbow when it came to a mixing desk and playing in front of a crowd, so the search continues (I won't mention his DJTT username to save him any further embarrassment). I'm going to be listening back through the mixes I've recieved again - so it's not over yet!

Here's a couple of vids I took at the opening evening , I ended up playing back to back with a good friend of mine all evening , and we had the place jumping

About 2am:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdlyEMuFtIQ

About 6am:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyo6NUxjv48

Fus
Breana Singerman
I thought I uploaded it to your soundcloud account, no worries will just up it again.

Cheers!
Mason Topolewski
Well, I've had about 8 great mixes through, nephew - I got your CV but not your mix, would you mind posting it through again?

One guy actually saw my post here and came and gave me a mix in person. Whilst he was the first to admit his mixing's not amazing, he has got a lot of top class tunes that are perfect for Moby's. Of course the fact that he's already here on the island gave him big kudos points with Jim, so he's going to play the opening evening , and we'll see how he gets on from there. Nothing is set in stone just yet until we know we're gonna be happy with him, so if anybody's still believeing about sending a mix through, better be fast!

I also wanted to mention that if anybody's coming to the island this year, and fancy playing at either Moby's, or my own residency at Coolture Cafe (deep/funky/soulful/tech house) definitely drop me a line and I'll make sure that happens. There's enough space at either venue for your setup, and I always enjoy a bit of back to back DJing if you're up for that also

Fus
Breana Singerman
*bump-ity-bump*

Has this already been decided? Just curious what's happening with it
Breana Singerman
So... how fares the hunt?
Stan Valent
Damn... I would be all over this, but in 2 weeks my final exams after 15 years of school will be starting.
Would someone that is only available in 6 weeks from now also work or does it have to be in the next 2 weeks?
Sorry if this has been asked before but my iphone is giving me s**t about not being able to connect when i want to go anywhere in between first and last page of this post
Breana Singerman
Have you had a mix that has caught your attention yet?
Ryan Morales
Originally Posted by Rumblejazz
fk'n lol!

But yeah, this community owns.
Amada Brierley
hehe, on a serious note, this is the best community /comment board ive come across on the internet, regardless of content/genre or what have you. it's quite unique and remarkable!
Breana Singerman
Regular ray of sunshine this one is
Amada Brierley
Breana Singerman
Yeah, can't agree more. Everyone seems genuinely nice here, but at the same time aren't afraid to say what they believe with out being offensive.

Really happy I stumbled across this place!
nayit ruiz jaramillo
. You've even got the Traktor guys playing nicely with the Serato guys,
One big happy family on DJTTs thats why i joined..
Mason Topolewski
Ean - no problem man, just hope I can give something back to this great community! I've read a lot of DJ community s in the last few years, and this one seems to be just about the only one not full of pompous self-indulgent narcissist 'DJs'. You've even got the Traktor guys playing nicely with the Serato guys, which is something even their mothers would have a problem doing I feel, and it's a great credit to you and the other guys behind this website. That's why I wanted to post this here And btw, Ean, get your ass out here!

A quick note to anyone believeing about sending a mix:
I've had around 5 mixes through so far - the standard of mixing has been really top notch, but several of them have been very much deep/techy house, so I just want to clarify that Moby's is very much a crazy mental party bar - the vibe that they want to create in there is that of a party in your house every evening of the week! They cater to a lot of the slightly older generation of clubbers, so lots of funky, uplifting, oldskool, vocal house is the order of the day. When I'm listening to your mix, I want to be believeing "fuck yeah, haven't heard this tune in ages!" and singing along. I don't need to know how cool and up to date you are, I need to know you can rock a joint full of clubbers from both ends of the age spectrum - and I'll tell you now, older clubbers are one of the hardest, but most rewarding groups of people you'll ever get to play for!

Thanks again guys for everyone who's either sent me something, or are in the process of putting something together!

Fus

shucks, I am not sure about this whole dj TechTools thing.. perhaps I should just piss off and become a dj in Ibiza

great post- thanks for sharing.

Ean
Hertha Fang
Yea, I decided that after looking at my non-electro house collection (which was a nice eye opener at least) that I am very much lacking in the stuff, so no entry for me, unless i have a rich unknown uncle, who suddenly lets me inherit a shit ton of house music. Next time this offer comes up I won't be lacking. Thanks for giving DJTT the offer.
Diogo Ribeiro
Ooh - will be having a bash!
casey rascal
This sounds to good to just let it pass. So Mix uploadet!
sinior cliff
i wish i knew more house. =(
Rohan Felix
If I had a bigger selection of house I would totally do this. Thank you Rufus for posting this opportunity on this site, these type of things is what I feel really make this site amazing. (not that it wouldn't be but this just makes it that much more)
Random X
Originally Posted by steveboyett
Okay, Rufus, I'm in. Just give me a little time so I can initiate divorce proceedings, okay?
Ghahahaha!

LOLz.... I know you're shitting me now!
Tianna Laguerre
oh daaamn too bad i know nothing of house, but if you'r looking for some shinz
y Liquid Funk DnB (which is just hot in the summer) i would send my mix over!
daniela klein
Okay, Rufus, I'm in. Just give me a little time so I can initiate divorce proceedings, okay?
Breana Singerman
Uploading my mix now mate, hope it's what you're looking for!
Mason Topolewski
I've had a couple of solid mixes through already, so if you're interested in this even a little, I'd get your mix in fast! There's no set deadlines here, but preferably we'd like someone who could play right from the opening. I know that's short notice, and I'm sorry I couldn't give you more, but this has all been a bit last minute!
Mason Topolewski
Originally Posted by Nephew
Sounds like a proper good time. No set schedules or anything like that, just have at it!
That's pretty much the idea at Moby's mate! So long as you're having a good time, and the punters are having a good time, anything goes in that place! (Except minimal )

Fus
Breana Singerman
Sounds like a proper good time. No set schedules or anything like that, just have at it!
nayit ruiz jaramillo
There's DJs on the street that will come down and have a mix (including myself), and you always get the odd tourist that will bring their CDs looking to have a mix, so don't believe you'll be doing the whole summer just on your own!

Fus
Aaaarrgghhh enough already ... This just gets better.

Its torture !
DJ Pablo
This is a great opportunity,
I played once In Pacha (1997), and I still remember it as one of
my best experiences..
So you...get over there...
Belen Wermes
woah. awesome!!! i'll put something together

<< Back to General DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan