Rane 64 and cdj 850 help!?

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Rane 64 and cdj 850 help!?Reply
Rane 64 and cdj 850 help!?
Posted on: 14.11.2013 by Ouida Ashe
Hey guys I'm running into this issue with my new rane 64 and hope someone here may be able to help me resolve it. Basically I'm moving from a rane 62 and scratch live setup and this is my first time using serato dj outside the clubs I play at. What's happening is when using the cdjs in relative or absolute mode when I hit the play or cue button the song will jump back about half a beat and then start playing. I have a vide of it on youtube here it's done with an iPhone so the quality isn't great but you can see what's happening. Any feedback at all would be great as I can't find anythjng about this anywhere.
Ouida Ashe
Originally Posted by makar1
I'm not seeing any difference between the absolute mode in SDJ and SSL in your videos.
You are correct this doesn
Ouida Ashe
I'm not seeing any difference between the absolute mode in SDJ and SSL in your videos.
Ouida Ashe
Ouida Ashe
Ouida Ashe
Ouida Ashe
Ouida Ashe
Ouida Ashe
Ouida Ashe
Ouida Ashe
Ouida Ashe
Ouida Ashe
Ouida Ashe
Ouida Ashe
Ouida Ashe
Ouida Ashe
If there is a bug causing this, it will be in Serato DJ rather than the mixer. All the mixer does is pass the signal from the CDJs to the software.
Correct but this will only happen with the 64 and I am assuming the SRT as they are the only mixers available to allow DVS support in Serato DJ so if someone is buying either of these mixers for this reason they should be aware that the issue is there.
Ouida Ashe
Hey guys I'm running into this issue with my new rane 64 and hope someone here may be able to help me resolve it. Basically I'm moving from a rane 62 and scratch live setup and this is my first time using serato dj outside the clubs I play at. What's happening is when using the cdjs in relative or absolute mode when I hit the play or cue button the song will jump back about half a beat and then start playing. I have a vide of it on youtube here it's done with an iPhone so the quality isn't great but you can see what's happening. Any feedback at all would be great as I can't find anythjng about this anywhere.
Alphonso Deitchman
Relative mode in your SDJ video looks similar to how relative works with Traktor timecode. What about the behaviour makes you believe there is a bug?

Relative in SSL looks really strange with how the track keeps skipping forwards, unless that's because you're pressing Play/Pause rather than Cue?
Ouida Ashe
Alphonso Deitchman
I'm not seeing any difference between the absolute mode in SDJ and SSL in your videos. The behaviour of relative mode looks really odd in SSL - are you pressing Play/Pause multiple times or Cue?

The waveform will never line up perfectly when paused, as Serato has no idea what position you are in the timecode track while playback has stopped.
Ouida Ashe
If there is a bug causing this, it will be in Serato DJ rather than the mixer. All the mixer does is pass the signal from the CDJs to the software.
Correct but this will only happen with the 64 and I am assuming the SRT as they are the only mixers available to allow DVS support in Serato DJ so if someone is buying either of these mixers for this reason they should be aware that the issue is there.
Alphonso Deitchman
Ouida Ashe
I opened a support ticket with serato and they have sent this in response.

This issue has always been present in Scratch Live when using CDJs in ABS mode. This is because in ABS mode, Scratch Live needs to hear the control tone in order to move the playhead through the track. This behaviour is present in Serato DJ too.

What is different though is that Serato DJ also produces this behaviour when using CDJs in REL mode, whereas Scratch Live does not. Due to this difference in behaviour, I have logged it as a bug for our development team to investigate. This doesn't necessarily mean it is a bug though as this difference may be the result of some intended implementation. I'll keep you all posted as to what the devs come back with.

So I'm under the assumption that this is in fact a bug and people believeing about purchasing the 64 should be aware of this at least until the issue is resolved
Ouida Ashe
I opened a support ticket with serato and they have sent this in response.

This issue has always been present in Scratch Live when using CDJs in ABS mode. This is because in ABS mode, Scratch Live needs to hear the control tone in order to move the playhead through the track. This behaviour is present in Serato DJ too.

What is different though is that Serato DJ also produces this behaviour when using CDJs in REL mode, whereas Scratch Live does not. Due to this difference in behaviour, I have logged it as a bug for our development team to investigate. This doesn't necessarily mean it is a bug though as this difference may be the result of some intended implementation. I'll keep you all posted as to what the devs come back with.

So I'm under the assumption that this is in fact a bug and people believeing about purchasing the 64 should be aware of this at least until the issue is resolved
Alphonso Deitchman
The exact same jumping "problem" happens in your SSL example when using Absolute mode. Only difference is that your waveforms are vertical in SSL, and horizontal in SDJ.

I had no idea that SSL kept skipping forwards in Relative mode when cueing. Doesn't that make that mode kind of useless?
Ouida Ashe
Spoke with the guys at rane they asked me to change some settings and see it it responded the same. here is the new video also added the video of the behavior in scratch live
Ouida Ashe
I have it set to 5 now and I have a quad core 17 MbP with 16 gigs of ram.
Alphonso Deitchman
What latency settings do you have for the 64?
Ouida Ashe
unfortunately its not looking like SSL will recognize the 64. I'm used to using them in HID mode with my 62 however when i test the system with the 62 and the timecodes I'm not getting the track jumping back at first like I am here
Alphonso Deitchman
The waveform behaviour looks pretty normal for timecode. The timecode signal from the players is independant from the waveforms onscreen so there'll be a slight lag while the two match up.

You should be able to use the CDJ 850s in HID mode (much better than timecode) if you can use SSL instead of SDJ. Hopefully they'll add more HID support to SDJ soon too.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy