scratch videos

scratch videos
Posted on: 30.01.2013 by Yong Aptekar
I know that we have a "who scratches" thread, but let's make this one the "post your scratch videos" thread. I got my superseal 2 records today, so I will have a new video to post.

Let's learn from eachothers videos, and who knows, maybe we can have a DJTT DMC comp.
Georgene Fetterhoff
Originally Posted by arsman
good lord! haha

i can't even begin to scratch like that. all I have been doing is scratching 1 pattern for a few mins, then change to another. if i do a combo, I always mix up.
practice will you make it better:
Petra Arra
Originally Posted by ioannis
practise! more practise!
I can do a crab and flare in a combo and nothing else. been slumping in practice as I need to review the other patterns.

I suck at chirps now that I can do the flairs. been messing up with practice. need to focus more.lol
Georgene Fetterhoff
good lord! haha

i can't even begin to scratch like that. all I have been doing is scratching 1 pattern for a few mins, then change to another. if i do a combo, I always mix up.
practise! more practise!
Kerry Shudy
Originally Posted by Vekked
I'm about 6 months or so in, and I have decently fast chirps, 1 click flares, stabs and tears, but I can't transform for the life of me or do 2 click flares, and I can maybe string together 1-2 consecutive crabs before it gets sloppy. So that's where I'm at after 6 months and consider that I'm practicing super efficiently cuz I've already done it once on my strong side... when you're learning from the ground up it probably takes 3-4 times as long to get to the same place.
+1

It seems crazy that on the weak side transformers are damn difficult, while others like chirps (even double timed) are much easier!

It depends on where someone has chosen to utilize his strong hand. I picked the CF for my strong hand, therefore now that I am practicing weak side, I get much easier through patterns that depend more on the record movement (ex. chirps), although CF intensive ones are really difficult to learn.

To help solve this problem faster I am currently teaching myself how to write (!) with my weak hand. It might look strange, but it seems that CF and pencil movement share a lot in common, especially on the control side.
Nelida Ghouse
okay, I'm sticking with my left hand on the record as is feels more natural for me. I can get a decent baby, tear, forward, chirp, 1 click and 2 click flare and transform with the left on the record. Im a bit distressed on the stab and crab as my thumb keeps freezing up when pushing the xfader.

although when i was practicing yesterday, I was getting a bit out of sync. .
you'll get it for sure, just takes time. For example, I'm in the process of teaching my weak hand to cut right now... I'm about 6 months or so in, and I have decently fast chirps, 1 click flares, stabs and tears, but I can't transform for the life of me or do 2 click flares, and I can maybe string together 1-2 consecutive crabs before it gets sloppy. So that's where I'm at after 6 months and consider that I'm practicing super efficiently cuz I've already done it once on my strong side... when you're learning from the ground up it probably takes 3-4 times as long to get to the same place.
Petra Arra
Originally Posted by Patch
This'll do ya:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100K-Linea...item43afede02f

Just throw a fader cap on there...
hmm. haven't thought of that, will visit local electronic shops later.

Thank you for your inputs patch and vekked maybe someday, you'll be seeing me in the DMC world championships. lol
Petra Arra
stick with whichever side comes more naturally for the most part. Learning to be ambidextrous is good too for sure if you feel you're going to need it, it's good when you go to learn beat juggling or for being able to cut on both sides while mixing. It might help you progress a bit faster if you focus on 1 side to start though, don't feel like you NEED to be completely equal on both sides or anything, just if you want to. And it should definitely take you more than a few days to get the crab down, that's your issue right there.
okay, I'm sticking with my left hand on the record as is feels more natural for me. I can get a decent baby, tear, forward, chirp, 1 click and 2 click flare and transform with the left on the record. Im a bit distressed on the stab and crab as my thumb keeps freezing up when pushing the xfader.

although when i was practicing yesterday, I was getting a bit out of sync.

I believe it took me a couple months to get it down half-decent back in the day, I remember carrying around a broken fader to practice all the time when I wasn't at my turntables.
Nice idea! although my mixer is fairly new so no busted xfader to bring around.
Nelida Ghouse
Here are my sets from the IDA world finals:

Scratch Routines -

Beat juggles -

Annalisa Shogren
Hi guys, not so much a video... But here are two little phone loopers from Thudrumble that should keep you all going.

No doubt it's probably been posted on here before, but what the hell.

Warflex Gold / iPhone: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/warf...711279938?mt=8
Scratch Nerds 2 / iPhone: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/warf...777416793?mt=8

Warflex Gold / iPhone: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...goldwarflexand
Scratch Nerds 2 / iPhone: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.thudapps.sn2
Georgene Fetterhoff
ENJOY MY LATEST ELECTRO VIDEO!!

Georgene Fetterhoff
good lord! haha

practice will you make it better:
Petra Arra
Originally Posted by ioannis
practise! more practise!
I can do a crab and flare in a combo and nothing else. been slumping in practice as I need to review the other patterns.

I suck at chirps now that I can do the flairs. been messing up with practice. need to focus more.lol
Georgene Fetterhoff
good lord! haha

practise! more practise!
Nelida Ghouse
my most recent scratchy vid:

Petra Arra
good lord! haha

Georgene Fetterhoff
Thanks a lot!

sorry for my mistake 2 times same post!!
Lilliana Perris
Thats pretty cool mate!

Georgene Fetterhoff
Georgene Fetterhoff
hello! friends! i share! my latest scratchy video enjoy

Kerry Shudy
I'm about 6 months or so in, and I have decently fast chirps, 1 click flares, stabs and tears, but I can't transform for the life of me or do 2 click flares, and I can maybe string together 1-2 consecutive crabs before it gets sloppy. So that's where I'm at after 6 months and consider that I'm practicing super efficiently cuz I've already done it once on my strong side... when you're learning from the ground up it probably takes 3-4 times as long to get to the same place.
+1

It seems crazy that on the weak side transformers are damn difficult, while others like chirps (even double timed) are much easier!

It depends on where someone has chosen to utilize his strong hand. I picked the CF for my strong hand, therefore now that I am practicing weak side, I get much easier through patterns that depend more on the record movement (ex. chirps), although CF intensive ones are really difficult to learn.

To help solve this problem faster I am currently teaching myself how to write (!) with my weak hand. It might look strange, but it seems that CF and pencil movement share a lot in common, especially on the control side.
Nelida Ghouse

although when i was practicing yesterday, I was getting a bit out of sync. .
you'll get it for sure, just takes time. For example, I'm in the process of teaching my weak hand to cut right now... I'm about 6 months or so in, and I have decently fast chirps, 1 click flares, stabs and tears, but I can't transform for the life of me or do 2 click flares, and I can maybe string together 1-2 consecutive crabs before it gets sloppy. So that's where I'm at after 6 months and consider that I'm practicing super efficiently cuz I've already done it once on my strong side... when you're learning from the ground up it probably takes 3-4 times as long to get to the same place.
Petra Arra
This'll do ya:

hmm. haven't thought of that, will visit local electronic shops later.

Thank you for your inputs patch and vekked maybe someday, you'll be seeing me in the DMC world championships. lol
Brunilda Kora
This'll do ya:

Petra Arra
stick with whichever side comes more naturally for the most part. Learning to be ambidextrous is good too for sure if you feel you're going to need it, it's good when you go to learn beat juggling or for being able to cut on both sides while mixing. It might help you progress a bit faster if you focus on 1 side to start though, don't feel like you NEED to be completely equal on both sides or anything, just if you want to. And it should definitely take you more than a few days to get the crab down, that's your issue right there.

although when i was practicing yesterday, I was getting a bit out of sync.

I believe it took me a couple months to get it down half-decent back in the day, I remember carrying around a broken fader to practice all the time when I wasn't at my turntables.
Nice idea! although my mixer is fairly new so no busted xfader to bring around.
Brunilda Kora
I must admit (and not only because it's how I do it), I do like the sound of a 3 click crab then throwing the sound/sample.
Nelida Ghouse
word, 4 finger crabs are hard and depending which way you cut they have limited use... if you're hamster 4 finger crab gives you 5 sounds, which is doesn't really flow great compared to an even 4, or 3 for triplets.
Brunilda Kora
I've got scratches that I ONLY do with my right hand on the record. I'm right handed, but my strongest scratches are with my right hand on the record.

For left hand on record, I only have some very basic scratches (stabs, babies and flares, mostly). When I do juggle, I only do the more complex scratches on my right record hand.

Keeping it basic (but tight) with my left hand works for me.

I remember carrying around a broken fader to practice all the time when I wasn't at my turntables.
CHURCH! I drilled a hole in the corner of an old crossfader and put it on my keyring!!! I also did the crab motion with my fingers ALL THE TIME. People kept asking me what th ehell I was doing.

I never did get the 4-finger crab down. 3-fingers works fine for me, though...
Nelida Ghouse
stick with whichever side comes more naturally for the most part. Learning to be ambidextrous is good too for sure if you feel you're going to need it, it's good when you go to learn beat juggling or for being able to cut on both sides while mixing. It might help you progress a bit faster if you focus on 1 side to start though, don't feel like you NEED to be completely equal on both sides or anything, just if you want to. And it should definitely take you more than a few days to get the crab down, that's your issue right there. I believe it took me a couple months to get it down half-decent back in the day, I remember carrying around a broken fader to practice all the time when I wasn't at my turntables.
Petra Arra
thanks for the reply patch and vekked.

I have been trying but to no success for the past few days maybe I should continue on for more. I have only one turntable and been switching it left on one day and right on the other day so i can practice on both hands equally.

so far, I can say that I can do scratches easily on my left hand on the record and I am right handed
Brunilda Kora
I guess technically normal fader crabs are transforms and hamster are flare by default
That's actually how I wrote it first but I changed the description to open/closed fader scratches. I was also gonna write about the extra sound you get when you start open.

Thank god - I do (kinda) know what I'm talking about.

Or maybe I've just described the difference between open and closed fader scratches? And normal fader scratches are normally closed and hamster fader scratches are normally open???

Dunno. I've confused myself now.
Nope, normal fader and hamster both do the same amount of closed/open fader scratches. It's the techniques that dictate whether they're open or closed, not the fader style.
What I meant there, was that (in my mind, anyway) closed fader scratches put the emphasis on creating the individual sounds (like you've said, transforms) and open fader scratches put the emphasis on breaking up the sound (again, like you've said, flares).
Nelida Ghouse
The same way as you do ANY scratch with the xfader reversed (hamster).

The main thing is, every click is reversed when you scratch hamster style - so with the fader set to normal, it will be your fingers that are turning the sound ON, and your thumb that turns the sound OFF (you'll hear the "clicks" here).

When you crab scratch hamster style, it's you THUMB that turns the sound on, and your FINGERS that turn the sound OFF (you'll hear the "click" here).

It's all down to personal preference.

In my mind (I might be wrong - maybe Vekked can correct me if need be) - normal fader crabs are like quick transforms 9turning the sounds on individually) and hamster crabs are more like flares (where the focus is on the gaps, or clicks).
yep pretty much spot on. The technique is identical for both except that the crab is either turning the sound on (normal) or off (hamster), the technique is basically identical... I've never scratched normal a day in my life but I can still crab normal.

I guess technically normal fader crabs are transforms and hamster are flare by default, but I don't believe you should believe of them that way since neither really sounds like a flare or transform, but yes if you're defining them by where you start with the fader then normal is more like a transform and hamster is a flare, but they both just sound like crabs anyways.

The only difference is that a 3 finger crab achieves 4 sounds when you're hamster, and 3 sounds when you're regular, but once you're good enough you'll be able to do both ways pretty much. Most people say crabbing is easier hamster because you get more sounds for less effort, but the flip side might be that you get more control over them normal. This is all just for the beginning, normal and hamster pretty much become the same once you get to a certain level.

Or maybe I've just described the difference between open and closed fader scratches? And normal fader scratches are normally closed and hamster fader scratches are normally open???

Nope, normal fader and hamster both do the same amount of closed/open fader scratches. It's the techniques that dictate whether they're open or closed, not the fader style.
Brunilda Kora
The same way as you do ANY scratch with the xfader reversed (hamster).

The main thing is, every click is reversed when you scratch hamster style - so with the fader set to normal, it will be your fingers that are turning the sound ON, and your thumb that turns the sound OFF (you'll hear the "clicks" here).

When you crab scratch hamster style, it's you THUMB that turns the sound on, and your FINGERS that turn the sound OFF (you'll hear the "click" here).

It's all down to personal preference.

In my mind (I might be wrong - maybe Vekked can correct me if need be) - normal fader crabs are like quick transforms 9turning the sounds on individually) and hamster crabs are more like flares (where the focus is on the gaps, or clicks).

Petra Arra
quick question guys, how do you crab in reverve xfader? i find it difficult than in normal style.
Federico Vilas
I did mod the line faders, so they are just as loose as the cross fader... I appreciate the feedback!... I get your point about releasing the record and sounding repetitive... I am at that point now where I have a decent amount of scratches down...i'm just trying to piece them all together and work on combos, develop a style, etc... I will def take your advise and work on controlling the record more to manipulate the sound to make sure it doesn't sound so repetitive... fast Chirps are challenging on my table b/c it moves A LOT...but they are getting better too...
Nelida Ghouse
did you mod the line faders or they still kinda stiff? nice stabs and transforms. I saw the odd chirp in there, try to incorporate more chirps. Focus on your pitch, don't release the record as often, you let the record play pretty frequently which makes your cuts sound more repetitive than they are (even though you're varying your technique/rhythm, if you're hitting the same pitch a lot by releasing the record, it's going to sound a bit repetitive). Practice pushing the record and pitching it the way you want it, rather than letting it play and letting the motor dictate your pitch.

I guess I'll put this here since it got deleted from the mix/production community :/. A showcase I did in NY a few months back, mostly my last year's stuff from the various world finals.

Federico Vilas
keeping the thread alive...after view the previous video I deleted it...my timing was WAY off...on a good note here is an updated video.

I'm starting to get the feel of the line faders for the Z2, though it's not perfect tears...they are much improved. I like recording practice sessions b/c when I am in the mix I do not notice some of the things I see in the video...
Federico Vilas
Originally Posted by Tornesoul
Nice DjLiquidATL! May I ask what scratches/combination are those from about 0.53 to 1.04?
simple military scratches, I will post a more serious video soon this was just a standard practice video I made to see where my timing and combos were off...it's hard to find out what you need to work on when you are in the middle of it... if you can't tell my go-to scratch is the orbit

plus, i've never scratched on a 45...it was a little hard to get used to BUT I had fun

i'm working on a chirp/flare combo I have it almost down...but the chirp-orbit is a bitch

what is odd is the simple scratches seem to be the most difficult...i.e...fast chirps, tears, etc...
Precious Pequignot
Originally Posted by DjLiquitATL
Please don't compare me to anyone good... I've got a lot of scratches down... Working on speed and style now...but my son always interrupts me. Here's a quick video of me testing out my new baby seal

Nice DjLiquidATL! May I ask what scratches/combination are those from about 0.53 to 1.04?
Federico Vilas
Please don't compare me to anyone good... I've got a lot of scratches down... Working on speed and style now...but my son always interrupts me. Here's a quick video of me testing out my new baby seal

Breanne Penge
haha nice bump, here's my latest:
I like that bit at around 1:00. Of course, it was all awesome though, lol. Champion.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy