starting my setup

starting my setup
Posted on: 30.05.2013 by Petra Arra
My name is arsman... well, this is not my real dj name as I am just starting out and new in this community s. so far, here is my current set-up.

Just my trusty 2011 21.5" imac
alesis q25 that was given to me by my wife.
a cheapo starwars R2D2 headset. and a gopro hero 3 silver mounted on an IKEA kitchen timer.

The thing is, I wanted to learn how to dj a long time ago, and well, its just now that I have the money to buy my first gear.

reading all the reviews and watching all the videos, my current options are getting
  • Denon mc2000 which i can actually purchase right now (which I am leaning to)
  • wait for 2 more pay days and get the traktor kontrol s2/denon mc3000 that will be bought online and will take forever to come because of the customs.
  • get a set of truntables, a dvs from a friend and a cheap mixer to start with.
  • traktor x1, a mixer and an audio interface that is on sale that will end in a few days
  • There is always the numark mixtrack pro path, start cheap and buy decent monitor speakers.

I don't see myself setting up for clubs. what I am aiming for is events such as weddings and other parties.

Next week, I will be travelling with my wife, so gear acquisition will wait till I return (which will be a week of sleepless evening s). will update you guys once i made my decision.

*update 061413

So I went to China the other week. after i got home, I went back to the store that sells the 2nd hand TTs, said it was already sold. so now I contacted the seller of denon mc2000 and got me one.

Also got me a new pair of headset and got my college days laptop out of retirement, which constantly needs power supply.

i was believeing of buying a mbp for christmas but i am also looking at getting an traktor f1 first. will also be getting a pair of monitors after the mbs.

I am now in the process of learning how to dj. so far i'm having a hard time, but i am enjoying every bit of it.

UPDATES OCTOBER 2013

So i ditched my controller. bought an A6 back in september, bought the Techs 1200 mk 2 for my birthday and the dj tech was a gift from my parents.

I am using the traktor f1 as transport controls and to select cue points. am saving up for another techs 1200 so by december I can already get one. Also considering a traktor x1 mk 2 so when I so not want to power up the techs, I will have an x1/f1/mixer only setup. lol

I am still missing a pair of speakers and a laptop. been practicing scratching and after a few days of practicing straight, I believe I can properly do an 1 click flare.

*Update November 11

RGAS continues and but this time, I did not spent anything.

Traded my traktor f1 for an x1 as I do not really use the f1. bought it in a whim. should have bought the midi fighter or the x1 in the first place.

Its only a mk1. I'm going to get a mk2 when it becomes available here.

UPDATE DECEMBER 3

I promised myself I'd get something at the end of the year (either a pair of monitors or an mbp)

So i was not spared by black friday and cyber monday. I purchased a midi fighter 3d from DJTT (will be arriving on December 4) and a pair of KRK RP5 G3. sorry for the crappy iphone pics. its new to me so i haven't come around it.

here it is with the others.

This is my first speakers so really had to figure out how to position them

My Techs are just below the table. I have no space since I bought the speakers. so now I have to find a new table. and Ikea expedit is not really available here locally. so the x1 and mixer will do for now

ANOTHER DECEMBER UPDATE

Midi fighter 3D came in the mail today! I was deciding on the spectra when the black friday sale came.

with greetings from dj ranking s and free sticker. Thanks Ean and the guys working hard at DJTT

Cant wait to go home and unbox! but its still 4:00 pm and i get off at 7

update!

before the year ended, got myself a traktor s2 mk2. i was going for the s4 mk1 but I went with the s2 instead.

haven't able to try traktor dj in my iphone as i haven't got a connector cable.
my turntable and mixer is just off the side.

current gear list:
1 Technics SL1200 mk2
1 DJTech DIF1S
1 Traktor Audio 6
1 Traktor S2 mk2
1 Traktor X1 mk1
1 MF3D
pair of KRK RP5 G3
1 Alessis Q25
and a bunch of usb/midi/RCA cables

Thanks for dropping by.
-E
Petra Arra
Originally Posted by spadenation
haha your r2d2 headphones are awesome!
I had a storm trooper design before. the cable ripped out of the headset when my computer chair decided to step on it. Its cheap and sucky for listening but it got me by when i need to listen to songs when my wife watches the television.

anyways go the dvs route for sure with some flight cases. once you go vinyl or cdj you hate playing with those mobile controllers, like the s4 and such. good luck
Originally Posted by SwedeDreams
go with the dvs option
Originally Posted by Polygon
DVS if the tts are in good condition.
Thanks for your inputs guys. Unfortunately, when I got back from my trip from china, the TTs were already sold. so I opted for a dj controller

also, are you planning on carrying your imac with you to gigs? Might be smart to start considering a laptop, even tho you said you do not picture yourself playing at clubs.
MBP is next on my shooping list then a pair of monitors after.

Originally Posted by tothecloudd
hey man i know how u feel i started out with the mc3000 great little gear heavy, full metal, and incredibly sturdy i dropped it at an incredible height (top of my closet about 6.5-6 feet) and the damn thing still works like nothing happened. i am rockin a pair of st. 150's (i know they're not tech's but they get the job done) with NI's sexy z2 i went the DVS route as the mc3000 couldn't satisfy me. but here's the catch the mc3000 cost me $420 brand new my DVS cost me a whopping $2050. i'd say start small and see how it goes from there. btw i use my mc3000 for gig's as its lighter than my DVS set up
just bought an MC2000 as is was just at $300 brand new from the person i bought it. I also had a chance to get this Beats.

Thanks for looking.
-e
Petra Arra
My name is arsman... well, this is not my real dj name as I am just starting out and new in this community s. so far, here is my current set-up.

Just my trusty 2011 21.5" imac
alesis q25 that was given to me by my wife.
a cheapo starwars R2D2 headset. and a gopro hero 3 silver mounted on an IKEA kitchen timer.

The thing is, I wanted to learn how to dj a long time ago, and well, its just now that I have the money to buy my first gear.

reading all the reviews and watching all the videos, my current options are getting
  • Denon mc2000 which i can actually purchase right now (which I am leaning to)
  • wait for 2 more pay days and get the traktor kontrol s2/denon mc3000 that will be bought online and will take forever to come because of the customs.
  • get a set of truntables, a dvs from a friend and a cheap mixer to start with.
  • traktor x1, a mixer and an audio interface that is on sale that will end in a few days
  • There is always the numark mixtrack pro path, start cheap and buy decent monitor speakers.

I don't see myself setting up for clubs. what I am aiming for is events such as weddings and other parties.

Next week, I will be travelling with my wife, so gear acquisition will wait till I return (which will be a week of sleepless evening s). will update you guys once i made my decision.

*update 061413

So I went to China the other week. after i got home, I went back to the store that sells the 2nd hand TTs, said it was already sold. so now I contacted the seller of denon mc2000 and got me one.

Also got me a new pair of headset and got my college days laptop out of retirement, which constantly needs power supply.

i was believeing of buying a mbp for christmas but i am also looking at getting an traktor f1 first. will also be getting a pair of monitors after the mbs.

I am now in the process of learning how to dj. so far i'm having a hard time, but i am enjoying every bit of it.

UPDATES OCTOBER 2013

So i ditched my controller. bought an A6 back in september, bought the Techs 1200 mk 2 for my birthday and the dj tech was a gift from my parents.

I am using the traktor f1 as transport controls and to select cue points. am saving up for another techs 1200 so by december I can already get one. Also considering a traktor x1 mk 2 so when I so not want to power up the techs, I will have an x1/f1/mixer only setup. lol

I am still missing a pair of speakers and a laptop. been practicing scratching and after a few days of practicing straight, I believe I can properly do an 1 click flare.

*Update November 11

Traded my traktor f1 for an x1 as I do not really use the f1. bought it in a whim. should have bought the midi fighter or the x1 in the first place.

UPDATE DECEMBER 3

I promised myself I'd get something at the end of the year (either a pair of monitors or an mbp)

So i was not spared by black friday and cyber monday. I purchased a midi fighter 3d from DJTT (will be arriving on December 4) and a pair of KRK RP5 G3. sorry for the crappy iphone pics. its new to me so i haven't come around it.

My Techs are just below the table. I have no space since I bought the speakers. so now I have to find a new table. and Ikea expedit is not really available here locally. so the x1 and mixer will do for now

ANOTHER DECEMBER UPDATE

Midi fighter 3D came in the mail today! I was deciding on the spectra when the black friday sale came.

with greetings from dj ranking s and free sticker. Thanks Ean and the guys working hard at DJTT

update!

before the year ended, got myself a traktor s2 mk2. i was going for the s4 mk1 but I went with the s2 instead.

current gear list:
1 Technics SL1200 mk2
1 DJTech DIF1S
1 Traktor Audio 6
1 Traktor S2 mk2
1 Traktor X1 mk1
1 MF3D
pair of KRK RP5 G3
1 Alessis Q25

Thanks for dropping by.
-E
Petra Arra
update!

current gear list:
1 Technics SL1200 mk2
1 DJTech DIF1S
1 Traktor Audio 6
1 Traktor S2 mk2
1 Traktor X1 mk1
1 MF3D
pair of KRK RP5 G3
1 Alessis Q25
Petra Arra
ANOTHER DECEMBER UPDATE

Petra Arra

see first post for my whole history of set ups
Petra Arra
*Update November 11

Petra Arra

I am using the traktor f1 as transport controls and to select cue points. am saving up for another techs 1200 so by december I can already get one.

Petra Arra
It does the work. For a total noob like me, I can basically say that after a few months, I am getting there. Will probably get a pair of monitors by the end of the year. Cheap computer speakers are not the way to go.

Still learning beat matching manually by ear, though. I know I can press the sync easily, but shortcut's not the way to success.
Rufus Ondrick
i didnt realize you went with the mc2000 was gonna get that but it came out after i got my mc3000 lol how is it so far? i like the new set up nice and clean
Petra Arra
No worries bro. welcome to DJTT
Ashleigh Faya
oops - realised I did this wrong so have deleted post and started my own thread - apologies!
Petra Arra
So Im just updating my current setup

this is the denon mc2000

my newest addition, traktor f1:

and my table:

I have disposed of my computer speakers and planning to buy an audio 6 and a TT
will probably make a new table to sit them all
Petra Arra
haha your r2d2 headphones are awesome!
I had a storm trooper design before. the cable ripped out of the headset when my computer chair decided to step on it. Its cheap and sucky for listening but it got me by when i need to listen to songs when my wife watches the television.

anyways go the dvs route for sure with some flight cases. once you go vinyl or cdj you hate playing with those mobile controllers, like the s4 and such. good luck
Originally Posted by SwedeDreams
go with the dvs option
Thanks for your inputs guys. Unfortunately, when I got back from my trip from china, the TTs were already sold. so I opted for a dj controller

also, are you planning on carrying your imac with you to gigs? Might be smart to start considering a laptop, even tho you said you do not picture yourself playing at clubs.
MBP is next on my shooping list then a pair of monitors after.

Originally Posted by tothecloudd
hey man i know how u feel i started out with the mc3000 great little gear heavy, full metal, and incredibly sturdy i dropped it at an incredible height (top of my closet about 6.5-6 feet) and the damn thing still works like nothing happened. i am rockin a pair of st. 150's (i know they're not tech's but they get the job done) with NI's sexy z2 i went the DVS route as the mc3000 couldn't satisfy me. but here's the catch the mc3000 cost me $420 brand new my DVS cost me a whopping $2050. i'd say start small and see how it goes from there. btw i use my mc3000 for gig's as its lighter than my DVS set up
just bought an MC2000 as is was just at $300 brand new from the person i bought it. I also had a chance to get this Beats.

Thanks for looking.
-e
Rufus Ondrick
Dannie Dimora

Also, take a look at the behringer CMDs, especially the micro, might suit you as a cheap, not bad controller, and you'll have plenty of money to spend on other things.
Georgie Lukowiak
go with the dvs option
Corie Murtagh
haha your r2d2 headphones are awesome! anyways go the dvs route for sure with some flight cases. once you go vinyl or cdj you hate playing with those mobile controllers, like the s4 and such. good luck

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy