SL3 purchased. Why did I wait so long?

Home :: Anything on the Serato :: SL3 purchased. Why did I wait so long?Reply
SL3 purchased. Why did I wait so long?
Posted on: 05.10.2013 by Lauretta Ehrhorn
Finally got round to buying a SL3 and playing last evening via SSL confirmed everything I suspected.
I've felt so stale and clinical when using Traktor recently, even with DVS. A 2 hour mix last evening with SSL was a joy. I felt like I was using a big record bag and enjoyed every second. I felt more connected to the music, time codes felt tighter, to my ears the music sounded warmer and I felt like I was playing more from my heart.
I can't explain why this is. Maybe it's just a change of software rather than any real difference. DVS shouldn't feel massively different and I guess they weren't but Serato felt more organic.
Looks like I'm converting for good. Will miss modifiers and messing with mapping but that's about it.
Advice to anyone else pondering a switch on my experiences so far would be to go for it. Early days but it's great to feel it again (again I can't explain why).
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by Student
That's my point; if you use a Pioneer DJM800, it will sound a lot different than when you choose the P800 mixer in Traktor, which uses the same frequencies the DJM800 does. That's why they call it the P800. And that's why I don't understand why is still sounds so... different.
Why would one buy a 2k mixer if you can get exact same quality reproduction in a DJ software. Same is with low filter resonance in the mixer section. I truly hope that some updates will come when NI release new hybrid controller/mixer.
Trula Willadsen
Originally Posted by SlayForMoney
that has nothing to do with sound warmth, just EQ freq/kill.
That's my point; if you use a Pioneer DJM800, it will sound a lot different than when you choose the P800 mixer in Traktor, which uses the same frequencies the DJM800 does. That's why they call it the P800. And that's why I don't understand why is still sounds so... different.
Isa Erik
Traktor makes the sounds so cold when you mix. I don't really understand why either as they offer like 5 mixer options, all copying existing big-brand-mixers, yet the P800 still sounds way less warm than the DJM800 it's copied off...

But good to hear, enjoy
Lauretta Ehrhorn
Finally got round to buying a SL3 and playing last evening via SSL confirmed everything I suspected.
I've felt so stale and clinical when using Traktor recently, even with DVS. A 2 hour mix last evening with SSL was a joy. I felt like I was using a big record bag and enjoyed every second. I felt more connected to the music, time codes felt tighter, to my ears the music sounded warmer and I felt like I was playing more from my heart.
I can't explain why this is. Maybe it's just a change of software rather than any real difference. DVS shouldn't feel massively different and I guess they weren't but Serato felt more organic.
Looks like I'm converting for good. Will miss modifiers and messing with mapping but that's about it.
Advice to anyone else pondering a switch on my experiences so far would be to go for it. Early days but it's great to feel it again (again I can't explain why).
Kellie Myrum
Why would one buy a 2k mixer if you can get exact same quality reproduction in a DJ software. Same is with low filter resonance in the mixer section. I truly hope that some updates will come when NI release new hybrid controller/mixer.
Trula Willadsen
Originally Posted by SlayForMoney
Isa Erik
Traktor makes the sounds so cold when you mix. I don't really understand why either as they offer like 5 mixer options, all copying existing big-brand-mixers, yet the P800 still sounds way less warm than the DJM800 it's copied off...

But good to hear, enjoy
Vito Chesnut
gah.. that sucks too, because I love being able to map echo freeze, beatmasher, and other effects. Serato DJ requires that extra midi.. and I am still not even sure if they will support the Denon 1700, and I personally cant afford a $2000+ mixer AND CDJs...

Guess I will just have to go with the 3900's, 1700, and just use Engine with external HD..
Lauretta Ehrhorn
Definite difference in warmth. I've used an Audio 6 and an Echo Audiofire with Traktor. I'm sure it's something to do with the program.
Vito Chesnut
Yeah, i can definitely hear a difference in tracks played on both programs, when running through the VCI 400, but it is also limited to 48khz, and wonder if stepping up to say, a denon 1700 with 96khz and 32 bit DAC, would help traktor or make the difference that much more obvious.
Trula Willadsen

But good to hear, enjoy
Vito Chesnut
I wonder if the sound quality and integration have anything to do with your Traktor interface. Were you using Audio 6 or similar? Thinking about adding timecode soon, and on the fence as to which one to push towards. I own both products, but the mixer and cdjs will be the big question.

<< Back to Anything on the SeratoReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy