Is it possible to use time code vinyl with the VCI400 ?

Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-400 FAQ :: Is it possible to use time code vinyl with the VCI400 ?Reply
Is it possible to use time code vinyl with the VCI400 ?
Posted on: 12.10.2012 by Jeannine Argiros
Can anybody answer this question ?
Katheleen Brymer
Originally Posted by captainkrtek
I got the VCI 400 EGE working with my CDJ's with no NI Soundcard:
Thanks for the video, would like some clarification though. I have the VCI400 EGE hooked up directly to a Pioneer CDJ-900 (with Traktor timecode CD in the unit) into the line 1 input on the VCI400. I have set the input mapping on deck C (set as a track deck) to line 1 for both left and right channels. I also went into the timecode setting and set track deck C to the "scratch" setting. Traktor Pro 2 software does not show any signs that the CDJ-900 is even connected (CDJ is playing), nothing on the scope setting at all. If I also turn up the dial on the back of the VCI-400 next to the line inputs I can hear the timecode signal, it is not affected at all by any of the volume faders etc on the VCI-400. I can control deck C with the VCI-400 still - it is as if deck C is not recognized as an external controler, VCI-400 still is in control of it.

I must be missing something obvious but I cannot get the CDJ-900 to work as a separate deck controller with the timecode CD playing with the VCI-400. Is there anything I need to do in addition to the video that captinkrtek posted. i am also using the latest release of Traktor Pro 2 Scratch 2.6.3.

Any advise/assistance is appreciated.
Thanks
Wardos!
Jenifer Shaevitz
Originally Posted by fitzyp
For traktor timecode control your going to need a traktor scratch certified soundcard with phono preamps. Vci400 doesn't have phono ins.

Would it be possible to incorporate a Traktor Scratch certified soundcard into the setup? Not a cheap solution, but I'd sacrifice.
Jeannine Argiros
Can anybody answer this question ?
Porfirio Stickell
That sounds about right.

When using the VCI with timecode, the VCI is only a midi controller. The A6 is the (Traktor Certified) soundcard.

There's no difference in function of the VCI, just you will have no audio cables sticking out of or into it at all, only USB.
Katheleen Brymer
Sorry for the double post previously - I thought the first one did not make it - browser issue.

So I tinkered around with the Traktor settings last evening with both the 400 and also a NI Audio6 to see what the differences are in terms of getting the CDJ with timecoded media to work. Turns out in the preferences, on the Audio Setup options (1st preference option), there is a "Phono/Line" section. When I select the Audio6 as the audio device the Phono/Line section has an entry for the connected CDJ showing line level etc and it works. When I have the VCI-400SE selected as the audio device it says "Not Supported" in the Phono/Line section.

This tells me that the VCI-400 as it is in my case does not support timecoded external devices, is this summary correct? For those who have successfully connected timecoded CDJ/Turntables up to the 400, what does this section show for you? It would be awesome if those who have this working could share your preference settings.

Thanks
Wardos.
Katheleen Brymer
Hi,

I am also interested in connecting up a Pioneer CDJ-900 with the VCI-400 SE as an external controller with a time coded CD. So far following the instructions in the posted video, have had no success. I have plugged the CDJ-900 into the line1 connectors of the VCI-400. Then set the deck C as a track deck, then set the input mapping of deck C to line1 L and R, then set deck C in the timecode setting page to the "scratch" setting. So far this has not worked at all, in fact the VCI-400 still can control deck c directly, the CDJ unit does nothing in terms of controlling the deck.

Perhaps I have missed something obvious, please any advise or guidance is appreciated.
Thanks
Wardos.
Katheleen Brymer
Originally Posted by captainkrtek
Thanks for the video, would like some clarification though. I have the VCI400 EGE hooked up directly to a Pioneer CDJ-900 (with Traktor timecode CD in the unit) into the line 1 input on the VCI400. I have set the input mapping on deck C (set as a track deck) to line 1 for both left and right channels. I also went into the timecode setting and set track deck C to the "scratch" setting. Traktor Pro 2 software does not show any signs that the CDJ-900 is even connected (CDJ is playing), nothing on the scope setting at all. If I also turn up the dial on the back of the VCI-400 next to the line inputs I can hear the timecode signal, it is not affected at all by any of the volume faders etc on the VCI-400. I can control deck C with the VCI-400 still - it is as if deck C is not recognized as an external controler, VCI-400 still is in control of it.

I must be missing something obvious but I cannot get the CDJ-900 to work as a separate deck controller with the timecode CD playing with the VCI-400. Is there anything I need to do in addition to the video that captinkrtek posted. i am also using the latest release of Traktor Pro 2 Scratch 2.6.3.

Any advise/assistance is appreciated.
Thanks
Wardos!
Jamel Biair
i have analogue decks - i'm using the VCI400's standalone mixer function - and by using a pre amp can play vinyl.
Alyse Zaniewski
Ned Somerset
yah. You just set the soundcard in traktors settings. I use an external soundcard most of the time with my 400ege
Jenifer Shaevitz
Originally Posted by fitzyp
For traktor timecode control your going to need a traktor scratch certified soundcard with phono preamps. Vci400 doesn't have phono ins.

Would it be possible to incorporate a Traktor Scratch certified soundcard into the setup? Not a cheap solution, but I'd sacrifice.
Ned Somerset
Zofia Cheuk
i have analogue decks - i'm using the VCI400's standalone mixer function - and by using a pre amp can play vinyl.
Claire Auyeung
The Vci-400 doesn't have phono inputs as far as I know, only line-ins.

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-400 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy