Major Lazer round-up: details on Switch, Lazer Strikes and behind-the-scenes in Jamaica
Major Lazer has been making the headlines, so we thought we'd gather all the news under one roof, so you'd get all the information you need. We'll start off by shedding light on Switch leaving the group soon, when will 'Free The Universe' finally get released. Also, grab the 4th volume of 'Lazer Strikes Back'. And listen to an odd couple performing - Miley Cyrus and Snoop Lion sing for a Major Lazer tune!
Major Lazer's long-awaited album will finally drop this Friday, 12th of April. This comes after the moniker's first album in the form of 'Guns Don’t Kill People…Lazers Do'. However, since then there's been some changes to the people performing under the moniker. Switch, and Skerrit Bwoy have left the group to be replaced by Jillionaire and Walshy Fire. While it's commonly known that Skerrit Bwoy left the Lazer for the Cross, by turning thowards religion, the departure of Switch hasn't been as well discussed.
Since 2011, Switch hasn't been a part of the dancehall producing group anmore. Up until no, only official statement about the split referred to 'creative differences'. Now, Diplo's shed light on the matter fo the Australian magazine inthemix:
“I couldn’t make music if it weren’t for Switch – he andwere my main influences, and he taught me how to make music and gave me my style 100 percent. But in terms of actually making records and finishing them, Switch doesn’t do that. And everyone knows that. He just can’t finish songs. He’s the best when he does it, though. But for me, I had to take it in my power to finish this record because no one was helping me.”
He went on to comment on the new group:
“With Walsh and Chris, although I write the music we all come up with the ideas together: Chris names most of the songs for me and comes up with the artwork, and Walsh has been my main influences in terms of dancehall music for years. We live for our project 100 percent now. And that’s why I love the group: we all love the music so much and we 100 percent live for this. For Switch, music is just a hobby for him. He’s still my homie though, and we still work on some stuff together when it makes sense, but now it’s about the real music. The first album was just a case of simply trying to get it out there. I was always trying to convince Switch that “this is a big deal” but he never really cared. This album is not about that. But he’s still my homie, 1000 percent. He still wrote some records with me for the new album, like Get Free.”
Diplo blew the lid off the reasons behind the hiatus, so people would stop the rumours of bad blood between the two: “We had to legally break up the crew, whatever that means. But it wasn’t anything weird. He made a decent amount of money and he’s able to do what he wants to do now, which is produce more pop stuff. And that’s good for him, that’s what he wants to do. I don’t to make him feel like it’s a job to be on tour with me and make music with me. I want people who love it like I do to be involved. And that’s what it’s like now.”
With the collaboration-filled 'Free The Universe' postponed, Mad Decent has been releasing the 'Lazer Strikes Back' volumes. The 4th installment features a remix of the new Snoop Lion & Drake collaboration; a vocal edition of 'Get Free' and a No Doubt remix. “Lazer Strikes Back” Vol.4 is available as a free download, track listing:
1. Major Lazer – Jah No Partial feat. Flux Pavilion (Run DMT Remix)
2. Major Lazer feat. Chronixx – Where I Come From (Get Free Rhythm)
3. Bunji Garlin – Differentology (Major Lazer Remix)
4. No Doubt – Push & Shove (Dismantle vs. Major Lazer Remix)
5. Snoop Lion – No Guns Allowed (Shelco Garcia x Teenwolf x Diplo Remix)
Also, a few days ago, the behind-the-scenes look at Major Lazer's 'Bumaye' looked like. The trio travelled to Jamaica, Kingston for this one. Also, check out the full-length lyrical video for the single off the upcoming album
To finish off the Major Lazer sum-up, take a listen to one of the new productions. Surprisingly enough, this one's got and odd couple of Snoop Lion and Milery Cyrus featured. Track's called 'Ashtrays and Heartbrakes', and has gotten a million listens in under 4 days. How do you like it?
- 03.08.2020 Ivan Dorn unearths stunning new single 'Love Could Be'
- 22.05.2019 Selena Gomez at Cannes 2019
- 22.05.2019 Here Are the Lyrics to Taylor Swift's 'ME!,'
- 22.05.2019 Why Gwyneth Paltrow Has Worked Hard'
- 20.05.2019 Netherlands wins Eurovision
- 22.05.2019 Julia Roberts Reveals Why Shes Never Watched Game of Thrones
- 22.05.2019 Elton John: 'Being a performer saved my life'
- 22.05.2019 Shakira and Carlos Vives beat plagiarism case
- 20.05.2019 Taylor Swift admits strange shower habit
- 19.05.2019 Sam Smith & Normani's 'Dancing With a Stranger' Hits No. 1
- 19.05.2019 Michael Jackson's Eldest Child Prince Graduates
- 15.05.2019 Taylor Swift Reacts to YouTubers' 'ME!'
- 19.05.2019 Unfinished Prince memoir gets publication date
- 15.05.2019 'Daisy Jones & the Six' goes behind the music
- 15.05.2019 P!nk and Stormzy Continue U.K. Chart Reigns
- 15.05.2019 Halsey Announces New Single 'Nightmare'
- 14.05.2019 Grandmaster Flash wins Polar Music Prize
- 14.05.2019 New releases from Amanda Palmer, Stella Donnelly
- 19.05.2019 Hozier talks about new album 'Wasteland, Baby!'
- 14.05.2019 Myspace loses 50 million songs
Back to news