Diplo on everything label-related: 'Harlem Shake' helped save Mad Decent
Outspoken as usually, Diplo talked about everything record label related to Huffington Post recently. Judging by there status, meme-creating abilities and line-up, you must admid Mad Decent is a powerhouse of today's electronic music labels. Actually, things weren't as rosey just a little while ago..
“A year ago we were going to fold because we couldn’t figure out how to make money,” he told Huffington Post at Coachella over the weekend. So now Diplo explained that a big part of what saved the label from going under was Baauer's chart-topping, meme-inspiring viral hit 'Harlem Shake'. The game plan for the label is of course a bit more wider than that:
“We are a label that exists on the internet, so when something like that happens, we know how to incubate it and make it go crazy. There are no rules to running a label anymore. We have, like, seven people working for us, but Interscope probably didn’t even have a record as big as Harlem Shake last year and they have thousands working for them.”
Party announcement: Want to go Mad Decent Block Party? They're taking over the streets in 13 cities in North-America!
Interscope was the imprint that dropped Major Lazer, as Diplo continues: “Interscope dropped Major Lazer when we asked for money for a video for Get Free, and we sold 150,000 copies of that song. So that just proves that labels have no idea what’s going on anymore. They just want to jump on EDM dick – shit that sucks because they don’t feel the music but think it’s happening. We are in these streets.” As he puts it: “When it comes to dance music on the fringe, there’s no A&R that can teach you or guide you.”
Running a label that specializes in producing everything unheard of, it's obvious Diplo took it on himself to critizise the homogenous EDM scene, casting a pretty dismal future in his saying:
“Dance music is so interchangeable,” Pentz added. “There’s not a lot of face to it. It’s a bunch of Dutch DJs with the same haircut. You go see a dance stage at a fucking dance festival and I’m bored out of my fucking mind. That’s not going to last very much longer, because kids see that it’s the same shit every single time.”
Source: Huffington Post
Photo by globochem3x1minus1
- 03.08.2020 Ivan Dorn unearths stunning new single 'Love Could Be'
- 22.05.2019 Selena Gomez at Cannes 2019
- 22.05.2019 Here Are the Lyrics to Taylor Swift's 'ME!,'
- 22.05.2019 Why Gwyneth Paltrow Has Worked Hard'
- 20.05.2019 Netherlands wins Eurovision
- 22.05.2019 Julia Roberts Reveals Why Shes Never Watched Game of Thrones
- 22.05.2019 Elton John: 'Being a performer saved my life'
- 22.05.2019 Shakira and Carlos Vives beat plagiarism case
- 20.05.2019 Taylor Swift admits strange shower habit
- 19.05.2019 Sam Smith & Normani's 'Dancing With a Stranger' Hits No. 1
- 19.05.2019 Michael Jackson's Eldest Child Prince Graduates
- 15.05.2019 Taylor Swift Reacts to YouTubers' 'ME!'
- 19.05.2019 Unfinished Prince memoir gets publication date
- 15.05.2019 'Daisy Jones & the Six' goes behind the music
- 15.05.2019 P!nk and Stormzy Continue U.K. Chart Reigns
- 15.05.2019 Halsey Announces New Single 'Nightmare'
- 14.05.2019 Grandmaster Flash wins Polar Music Prize
- 14.05.2019 New releases from Amanda Palmer, Stella Donnelly
- 19.05.2019 Hozier talks about new album 'Wasteland, Baby!'
- 14.05.2019 Myspace loses 50 million songs
Back to news