Listen: will.i.am and Chris Brown plagiarize Matt Zo and Arty
It's not a rare happening that an artist accuses another artist of stealing. Just recently Calvin Harris lashed out at Jakwob for using his chord progressions (although as demonstrated, Calvin Harris burrowed them himself). Earlier than that, Baauer got in trouble for unlawfully sampling 'Los Terroristas' by Hector El Father. Now, another nasty copy-cat case has emerged from the pop scene. One of the most notorious thieving pop producers, Will I. Am, is at it again, taking Chris Brown along for the ride.
This isn't even a matter of sampling anymore. As discussed in 'The Evolution of Music', it's natural and totally fine to sample, mash-up and remix other peoples song - the culture always builds on the old. It's okay, as long as you credit the creators.
However, to blatantly nick the whole composition hoping to get away, is not only morally wrong but stupid as well. You can't go around exercising the Vanilla Ice method anymore these days, Internet will find out..
Earlier, will.i.am has plagiarized Daft Punk's "Around the World", J. J. Fad's "Supersonic" and Freeland's "Mancry" for all the major Black Eyed Peas hits.
So now, with Chris Brown, the online release of 'Let's Go' has pissed off the EDM community, and two of its young producers.
The beat originally comes from storming producers Arty and Mat Zo and their track “Rebound” – listen the both below.
And some reactions from the parties involved:
Screenshots: Twitter, Facebook
Photo: by Music News Australia
- 03.08.2020 Ivan Dorn unearths stunning new single 'Love Could Be'
- 22.05.2019 Selena Gomez at Cannes 2019
- 22.05.2019 Here Are the Lyrics to Taylor Swift's 'ME!,'
- 22.05.2019 Why Gwyneth Paltrow Has Worked Hard'
- 20.05.2019 Netherlands wins Eurovision
- 22.05.2019 Julia Roberts Reveals Why Shes Never Watched Game of Thrones
- 22.05.2019 Elton John: 'Being a performer saved my life'
- 22.05.2019 Shakira and Carlos Vives beat plagiarism case
- 20.05.2019 Taylor Swift admits strange shower habit
- 19.05.2019 Sam Smith & Normani's 'Dancing With a Stranger' Hits No. 1
- 19.05.2019 Michael Jackson's Eldest Child Prince Graduates
- 15.05.2019 Taylor Swift Reacts to YouTubers' 'ME!'
- 19.05.2019 Unfinished Prince memoir gets publication date
- 15.05.2019 'Daisy Jones & the Six' goes behind the music
- 15.05.2019 P!nk and Stormzy Continue U.K. Chart Reigns
- 15.05.2019 Halsey Announces New Single 'Nightmare'
- 14.05.2019 Grandmaster Flash wins Polar Music Prize
- 14.05.2019 New releases from Amanda Palmer, Stella Donnelly
- 19.05.2019 Hozier talks about new album 'Wasteland, Baby!'
- 14.05.2019 Myspace loses 50 million songs
Back to news