Sam Smith Is Reclaiming His "Curves" And Fighting "The Fuck Back"
"In the past if I have ever done a photo shoot with so much as a t-shirt on, I have starved myself for weeks in advance and then picked and prodded at every picture and then normally taken the picture down, Smith captioned the photo. Yesterday I decided to fight the fuck back. Reclaim my body and stop trying to change this chest and these hips and these curves that my mum and dad made and love so unconditionally. "
While the photo was a departure for the singer-songwriter ? who is frequently photographed in suits, as well as the occasional caftan or romper ? it isnt the first time hes spoken about his battle with body image.
In 2015, he told 60 Minutes Australia that hes more offended when people make comments about his weight than when he hears slurs about his sexuality.
I think just because Ive accepted that, if someone calls me a faggot, its like, I am gay, and Im proud to be gay, so theres no issues there, he said at the time. If someone calls you fat, its like, thats something I want to change.
While Smith made headlines for losing a reported 50 pounds after his 2014 debut album, In the Lonely Hour, rocketed him to stardom, he said he remained a bit obsessive about his weight.
When I was shooting my first music videos, I just wasnt happy with the way I looked, so I was trying to control the way the camera moved, he told V Magazine in an interview conducted by Sarah Jessica Parker. I was constantly looking in the mirror, pinching my waist, weighing myself every day.
Smiths photo was snapped by LA-based queer artist and photographer Ryan Pfluger. The image shows Smith on the beach at sunset, shirtless and untouched.
Some may take this as narcissistic and showing off but if you knew how much courage it took to do this and the body trauma I have experienced as a kid you wouldnt think those things, Smith continued. Thank you for helping me celebrate my body AS IT IS @ryanpfluger. I have never felt safer than I did with you.
- 03.08.2020 Ivan Dorn unearths stunning new single 'Love Could Be'
- 22.05.2019 Selena Gomez at Cannes 2019
- 22.05.2019 Here Are the Lyrics to Taylor Swift's 'ME!,'
- 22.05.2019 Why Gwyneth Paltrow Has Worked Hard'
- 20.05.2019 Netherlands wins Eurovision
- 22.05.2019 Julia Roberts Reveals Why Shes Never Watched Game of Thrones
- 22.05.2019 Elton John: 'Being a performer saved my life'
- 22.05.2019 Shakira and Carlos Vives beat plagiarism case
- 20.05.2019 Taylor Swift admits strange shower habit
- 19.05.2019 Sam Smith & Normani's 'Dancing With a Stranger' Hits No. 1
- 19.05.2019 Michael Jackson's Eldest Child Prince Graduates
- 15.05.2019 Taylor Swift Reacts to YouTubers' 'ME!'
- 19.05.2019 Unfinished Prince memoir gets publication date
- 15.05.2019 'Daisy Jones & the Six' goes behind the music
- 15.05.2019 P!nk and Stormzy Continue U.K. Chart Reigns
- 15.05.2019 Halsey Announces New Single 'Nightmare'
- 14.05.2019 Grandmaster Flash wins Polar Music Prize
- 14.05.2019 New releases from Amanda Palmer, Stella Donnelly
- 19.05.2019 Hozier talks about new album 'Wasteland, Baby!'
- 14.05.2019 Myspace loses 50 million songs
Back to news