LFREAQ Gets Freaky In New Video
"This song is about concealing oneself; it could be from a lover or a friend, but in my case I wrote it about those who dont know the real me over social media, only a self that I choose to project, LFREAQ tells BUST of the track, called Moonlight."
The artists upcoming EP was mixed and produced by Mike Irish. LFREAQs mom, photographer Kelly Cappelli, shot all the cover and promotional art and executive produced the video. The album focuses on themes of self-discovery, liberation, and adventure, and shortly after its release, LFREAQ will be on tour.
Keep up with the artist on Facebook, Twitter, and Soundcloud, and check out the video below, exclusively on BUST.
I had the pleasure of interviewing LFREAQ, which is the alias of Brooklyn-based singer/songwriter Lea Cappelli...
Thank you so much for joining us! Can you tell us a story about what brought you to this specific career path?
Igrew up an only child in Arizona with a fantastically artistic mother. She painted me, photographed me, and let me watch her create. This naturally led me to seek my own talents, which instead of using my hands to create art, was my voice. My mother brought me to vocal lessons at a very young age, where originally I was convinced I would be an opera singer. Then, at 12 years old, I discovered jazz. And at 16, started writing my own music. It was a long progression.
Can you share the most interesting story that occurred to you in the course of your music career?
When I performed for Muhammad Ali at a small dinner party of eight, I was nervous. I sang and played guitar for him, and we sat down to eat dinner together. At the time the only thing he could eat after dark was ice cream. I couldnt believe I was in the presence of such a legend. I was nervous to look at him the whole night, so I kept my head down while the guests chatted. Finally, I mustered the courage to look up at him. He turned to me and winked.
What are some of the most interesting or exciting projects you are working on now?
My new five song EP, Weird Awakenings, has been an incredible journey to create. Weve made a detailed music video for each of the three singles, with the upcoming single New Skin as one of my favorites. Im very visually inclined so its fun to watch the songs come to life. We went through a lot to make each one, especially Moonlight, where I was hanging in rope bondage for hours. That was a shoot Ill never forget. It became so painful after so long of being suspended that I had to have all six people on set help hoist me down.
You are a person of great influence. If you could start a movement that would bring the most amount of good to the most amount of people, what would that be? You never know what your idea can trigger.
Acceptance! There is too much intolerance in this world nowadays. Being raised with the internet is both a blessing and a curse. There is unlimited knowledge at your fingertips, but so much hatred that comes with it. Part of the LFREAQ name, like anti-bullying and access to the arts, is also simply about accepting people for who they are.
"Dont be surprised if the song strikes you as a fitting intro to a certain franchise of action films; After listening multiple times, the song started sounding more and more Bond-like, says Cappelli. We wanted to pay homage to the original Bond intros while still keeping the emotional integrity of the track."
- 22.05.2019 Selena Gomez at Cannes 2019
- 22.05.2019 Here Are the Lyrics to Taylor Swift's 'ME!,'
- 22.05.2019 Why Gwyneth Paltrow Has Worked Hard'
- 20.05.2019 Netherlands wins Eurovision
- 22.05.2019 Julia Roberts Reveals Why Shes Never Watched Game of Thrones
- 22.05.2019 Elton John: 'Being a performer saved my life'
- 22.05.2019 Shakira and Carlos Vives beat plagiarism case
- 20.05.2019 Taylor Swift admits strange shower habit
- 19.05.2019 Sam Smith & Normani's 'Dancing With a Stranger' Hits No. 1
- 19.05.2019 Michael Jackson's Eldest Child Prince Graduates
- 15.05.2019 Taylor Swift Reacts to YouTubers' 'ME!'
- 19.05.2019 Unfinished Prince memoir gets publication date
- 15.05.2019 'Daisy Jones & the Six' goes behind the music
- 15.05.2019 P!nk and Stormzy Continue U.K. Chart Reigns
- 15.05.2019 Halsey Announces New Single 'Nightmare'
- 14.05.2019 Grandmaster Flash wins Polar Music Prize
- 14.05.2019 New releases from Amanda Palmer, Stella Donnelly
- 19.05.2019 Hozier talks about new album 'Wasteland, Baby!'
- 14.05.2019 Myspace loses 50 million songs
- 14.05.2019 Kanye West gets booed at Bonnaroo
Back to news