A Sit Down With DJ Hernan Cattaneo
Being a resident DJ to one of the biggest clubs in Buenos Aires the legendary Clubland Hernan Cattaneo made his mark as a warmer DJ for some of the biggest names of the industry. Shortly after, he developed strong friendships with the likes of Paul Oakenfold, John Digweed and Sasha. His talent has been spotted instantly, which took him on the path to super stardom.
"Success is like a prize, but its useless if you cant keep delivering the good stuff."
Lets talk about your producing process a bit, what does your studio consist of? What hardware/software do you use most and why?
I'm always touring, so for me, it's my Mac running Logic & Live then the guys have proper full studio set ups to complete the work the right way.
Who is your favorite DJ and what about them do you most admire?
Hard question. I like a lot of DJ's but i´d say Danny Howells, great DJ, amazing person and an especially strong musical identity.
You see a change within the electronic music culture. Do you think that there is also a difference from DJing in the past and now?
All changed and nothing changed it really depends on the way you see it. 35 years ago, I found out that DJing is the way to share the music I love with other people and make them having a good time. It is the most important thing and it didnt change at all. Im still doing exactly the same. The only thing that changed is the way DJs do it, from vinyl to computers and everything in between, DJs became entertainers and for many, the only important thing is how much they make people have fun. I still like DJs that play music (whatever way possible) and not DJs that throw cakes to the crowd, jump on DJ tables, or show off in private planes. I really feel uncomfortable with that side of our scene, but try not to pay much attention to them.
How has technology changed your approach to DJing over the years?
A lot and nothing. As a DJ, for me, its always been about making people have a good time while playing the music I like. Since I was a kid I always wanted to share those records that gave me goosebumps with my friends or other people and never enjoyed for one second watching people going mad with music I dont like. So in that respect, nothing changed my approach of DJing.
What do you like to do when you relax?
Just chill, watch movies, being with my girlfriend, cooking and just relaxing normally and not really doing anything. DJ life is a really on the move all the time. I fly like 150 flights a year so usually you don't have a week without at least two or three flights. So when you have time off you just do nothing. You just keep quiet, being with your friends, your family, that's the kind of stuff I do.
What was the most pivotal moment in your career? The one where you thought this is going to be something big.
Probably when I started touring with Oakie and when I moved from Buenos Aires to London. I was doing really well as Pachas resident in Argentina, but I was in England for less than six months and I was already part of Cream in Liverpool & Ibiza and playing all over the place. We all know how difficult is to have a chance in the international scene, and that was a huge opportunity for me.
- 03.08.2020 Ivan Dorn unearths stunning new single 'Love Could Be'
- 22.05.2019 Selena Gomez at Cannes 2019
- 22.05.2019 Here Are the Lyrics to Taylor Swift's 'ME!,'
- 22.05.2019 Why Gwyneth Paltrow Has Worked Hard'
- 20.05.2019 Netherlands wins Eurovision
- 22.05.2019 Julia Roberts Reveals Why Shes Never Watched Game of Thrones
- 22.05.2019 Elton John: 'Being a performer saved my life'
- 22.05.2019 Shakira and Carlos Vives beat plagiarism case
- 20.05.2019 Taylor Swift admits strange shower habit
- 19.05.2019 Sam Smith & Normani's 'Dancing With a Stranger' Hits No. 1
- 19.05.2019 Michael Jackson's Eldest Child Prince Graduates
- 15.05.2019 Taylor Swift Reacts to YouTubers' 'ME!'
- 19.05.2019 Unfinished Prince memoir gets publication date
- 15.05.2019 'Daisy Jones & the Six' goes behind the music
- 15.05.2019 P!nk and Stormzy Continue U.K. Chart Reigns
- 15.05.2019 Halsey Announces New Single 'Nightmare'
- 14.05.2019 Grandmaster Flash wins Polar Music Prize
- 14.05.2019 New releases from Amanda Palmer, Stella Donnelly
- 19.05.2019 Hozier talks about new album 'Wasteland, Baby!'
- 14.05.2019 Myspace loses 50 million songs
Back to news