A Sit Down With DJ Thomas Newson
Thomas Newson, at the age of merely 15, joined the family business to become an internationally renowned DJ and producer. From monster hit Flute to his US bus tour with Hardwell, Thomas Newson is following in his fathers footsteps. Having had three tracks hit #1 spots across Beatports progressive house, electro house and main charts, Newson has experienced unprecedented success in what is still the first phase of his career, and established himself as one of Dance musics brightest young stars along the way.
"I just love to try different things. My friends tell me that the track keeps getting better and better with every play."
You play and produce Electro House & Progressive House. How would you describe your own music, what is distinct about it?
I make music that suits massive festivals but also intimate dance floors alike. I energize heavy duty beats with a melodic sensibility which is also perfect for the radio market.
You are one of the few artists who had two tracks in the Top 10 on Beatport, "Flute" and "Pallaroid". Did you expect so much success from these tunes?
Nope never It was crazy to have two tracks in the top 10 at the same time, and before that I had nothing, those two tracks really launched my career and still cant believe that those tracks were a big success for me.
You have songs on Armada Music, Revealed Recordings, Spinnin Records and more. Is there a reason why some songs are particularly on some labels or was it just totally random?
Nope not really, it was just random. I just want to release everything on the big platforms.
How long have you been doing music?
I started when I was 14 years old, but I only did it for one week because computer games were more important for me. When I was 16 years old, I started making music again and after one year I had my first release on Spinnin Records.
Where do you get the inspiration from when producing music?
Depends, sometimes on tour, sometimes being in a different city or area in my country. For example I traveled 2.5 hours up north in my country, hung out and made some music with my friends Jaz Von D & Magnificence just for fun and I got a lot of inspiration at that time. Just to be in a different city.
How do you feel your sound has evolved since you began your career?
In the beginning of my career, it was a lot of EDM. Im still doing a lot of EDM stuff, but I want to focus on Spotify right now. Because its really blowing up. So more stripped down music, a bit more chill, and groovy. Im experimenting with a lot of music right now. So more Future Bass, and more radio stuff. So a little bit has changed but a bit more groovy and EDM.
Are there any special moments during your career? Any ups or downs you remember over the last years?
Yeah last year, I had a writers block for more than 6 months and that was horrible. I really had no idea which direction I wanted to go with my music because everyone was focusing on spotify and still is and the fans want EDM and the promoters want something cool and unique and more commercial stuff. But now Im gonna do a mix between both!
What has been your favorite place in the world to perform?
I think Tokyo was one of my favorite places that Ive traveled to. The reason for that is because Tokyo has such a different culture to where I live, so I really like the contrast with the culture of my own country.
- 03.08.2020 Ivan Dorn unearths stunning new single 'Love Could Be'
- 22.05.2019 Selena Gomez at Cannes 2019
- 22.05.2019 Here Are the Lyrics to Taylor Swift's 'ME!,'
- 22.05.2019 Why Gwyneth Paltrow Has Worked Hard'
- 20.05.2019 Netherlands wins Eurovision
- 22.05.2019 Julia Roberts Reveals Why Shes Never Watched Game of Thrones
- 22.05.2019 Elton John: 'Being a performer saved my life'
- 22.05.2019 Shakira and Carlos Vives beat plagiarism case
- 20.05.2019 Taylor Swift admits strange shower habit
- 19.05.2019 Sam Smith & Normani's 'Dancing With a Stranger' Hits No. 1
- 19.05.2019 Michael Jackson's Eldest Child Prince Graduates
- 15.05.2019 Taylor Swift Reacts to YouTubers' 'ME!'
- 19.05.2019 Unfinished Prince memoir gets publication date
- 15.05.2019 'Daisy Jones & the Six' goes behind the music
- 15.05.2019 P!nk and Stormzy Continue U.K. Chart Reigns
- 15.05.2019 Halsey Announces New Single 'Nightmare'
- 14.05.2019 Grandmaster Flash wins Polar Music Prize
- 14.05.2019 New releases from Amanda Palmer, Stella Donnelly
- 19.05.2019 Hozier talks about new album 'Wasteland, Baby!'
- 14.05.2019 Myspace loses 50 million songs
Back to news