A Sit Down with DJ Edward Maya
Already at the age of 19 Romanian DJ and musician Edward Maya composed a song of European size with E.Carcota for Eurovision , which took the 4th place. This breakthrough was accompanied by a difficult period for Edward, who worked on various contracts with Romanian composers abroad (Akcent, Costi Ionita, Vika Jigulina, Cassa Loco, Studio One, DjRynno, Dj Sava, Marius Nedelcu, BlaxyGirls, Imba).
The year 2009 brought surprise to the Romanian music market, the first song "Stereo Love", written by Edward, in the chorus of which the composition of the Azerbaijani composer Eldar Mansurov " Bayatilar " was used, quickly becomes a hit.
The success of "Stereo Love" was accompanied by concerts all over the world. The song became popular in Greece, Albania, Lebanon, Armenia, Ukraine, Portugal, Russia, Poland, the Netherlands, Egypt, Spain, Italy, Turkey and many other countries.
"I am a normal person, that dreams everyday to make music for each and every person in the world".
How did you become a DJ?
Since the time I performed at the symphony orchestra in my university I have been fascinated by electronic music and its infinite possibilities. Then slowly I went from piano compositions to computer compositions before becoming a DJ.
Why did you change your name from Eduard Marian to Edward Maya?
Maya is a name with multiple profound meanings that fascinate me. In Nepali, maya means love, in old Persian, it means generous, in Hindu philosophy, it means illusion and in Hindu mythology it is also an alternate name of goddess Durga.
At what age did you start music ?
I guess 6 years old, my grandfather is a musician too, I loved music since childhood.
What genre of music is close to you?
I have my inspiration from different genres of music like Indian cultural and music, I will make a combination and this gives me a taste for the new song that we will make.
Who or what inspires you to make music?
All my inspiration comes from God and then takes shape in my heart. In some states of inspiration I just hear ideas of singles and I feel exactly how to compose and what emotions the single should give to people.
How do you spend your free days from concerts and studio recordings?
We are touring everywhere. We have a team of five person and we are touring everywhere. We dont have time for staying in Bucharest because we are always together in the studio, touring, DJing, make shows. This is our life.
Which is your favorite place to perform?
Wherever is a stage, a microphone and people to sing and dance with me until the morning light.
How many hours per week do you work on your music?
Maybe is better if you ask me how many hours per week I do not work?:) I am always in the studio.
For someone who has never heard your music before. How would you
describe it? Which song of yours represents the type of sound you want
release out there?
I cannot describe my music; you have to feel it, thats the catch. I make music for the guy/girl with a broken heart, falling in? Love, fighting for love etc. If you listen the lyrics and the music, close enough you will find yourself in there somewhere.
How many languages ??do you speak?
English, French and some Spanish:)
Does fame itself makes you happy?
Of course it does, but I think the greatest thinga of all is that I have so
many friends all around the world, its actually crazy
Your Career highlights.
Billboard Award Song of the Year 2011, Platinum in over 30 countries, and
a lot of music awards all around the world.
Who is your musical icon?
Who surprised you most by being your fan?
A girl from Ecuador, she brought me a cake with my face on at the airport,
I still am in touch with her, she is a great friend
What interests you apart from music?
I am doing what I love I dont think I can clearly separate my work moments from my free time moments. All that I do brings me joy. I also work towards keeping myself physically fit through yoga and sports activities. Also, I read a lot and spend as much time I can in the company of nature.
Biggest piece of advice you have been given?
I still remember when I was working at Stereo Love, somebody told me I
will win the Billboard Award for this song, I thought she was really crazy
- 03.08.2020 Ivan Dorn unearths stunning new single 'Love Could Be'
- 22.05.2019 Selena Gomez at Cannes 2019
- 22.05.2019 Here Are the Lyrics to Taylor Swift's 'ME!,'
- 22.05.2019 Why Gwyneth Paltrow Has Worked Hard'
- 20.05.2019 Netherlands wins Eurovision
- 22.05.2019 Julia Roberts Reveals Why Shes Never Watched Game of Thrones
- 22.05.2019 Elton John: 'Being a performer saved my life'
- 22.05.2019 Shakira and Carlos Vives beat plagiarism case
- 20.05.2019 Taylor Swift admits strange shower habit
- 19.05.2019 Sam Smith & Normani's 'Dancing With a Stranger' Hits No. 1
- 19.05.2019 Michael Jackson's Eldest Child Prince Graduates
- 15.05.2019 Taylor Swift Reacts to YouTubers' 'ME!'
- 19.05.2019 Unfinished Prince memoir gets publication date
- 15.05.2019 'Daisy Jones & the Six' goes behind the music
- 15.05.2019 P!nk and Stormzy Continue U.K. Chart Reigns
- 15.05.2019 Halsey Announces New Single 'Nightmare'
- 14.05.2019 Grandmaster Flash wins Polar Music Prize
- 14.05.2019 New releases from Amanda Palmer, Stella Donnelly
- 19.05.2019 Hozier talks about new album 'Wasteland, Baby!'
- 14.05.2019 Myspace loses 50 million songs
Back to news