Gabrielle Guetta's Female DJ of the Week: DJ Magda
We’re kicking off ’Gabrielle Guetta’s Female DJ of the Week’ with the #2 female DJ on The Official Global DJ Rankings – DJ Magda! The top class DJ is known for her captivating and always exciting sets as well as love for disco, minimal and techno. Magda herself has said that:
"I'm really obsessed with finding a line between things - between sounds and between genres. My influences come from a life spent in very different environments, which plays a huge role in the way I connect with music."
Different environments indeed. Magdalena Chojnacka aka DJ Magda was born in 1975 in ?ywiec, Poland. Little Magdalena moved to the States as a 11 year old kid. What got her going was Detroit’s underground party scene. She put her hands up for Detroit, as she was instantly lost in the blur of ’cities, record stores and parties’. It was destined to be, she started her DJ career in 1996. Already in 1998 she joined Minus and started touring the globe as the sole opener for Richie Hawtin. Magda talks about her musical backround in this really insightful interview given at the Amsterdam Dance Event:
Magda combines techno, Chicago house, disco and minimal to come up with ever developing and fresh sounds. So it is really hard to pin down what Magda is exactly about. But that’s what’s so lovable about her, the element of surprise never fades by the talented DJ.
The fall of 2010 saw Magda release her debut album ’From The Fallen Page.’ Just like her unpredictable DJ sets, the album takes you from one end of the scale to the other. Magda let the dark side flow through her by this one, most of the tracks have kind of a gloomy foil. The listeners have to acknowledge, that Magda is first and foremost a DJ. The tracks cultivated on her debut album are tasteful and refined, but they are to be played in a DJ set where Magda can shine emphasizing the intricate rhythms and chord progressions.
In the Summer of 2011 Magda hook up with her mates Marc Houle and Troy Pierce to enter a new chapter. The trio rejuvenated and blew the dust off their formerly dormant imprint, Items & Things. The label has a really creative and inspiring mindset.
"Items and Things are bits and pieces of uniqueness we come across," they say. "The label is a platform to launch the music that we love. There are no rules, just sounds we like and artists we believe in."
In between busy touring schedules and festivals like Electric Daisy Carnival, Ultra Music Festival and many others, Magda does as much as possible for the Berlin-based label. Besides the pursuit of fresh sounds, Items & Things continues to hold their Down & Out party series. Their goal has been about recapturing the rawness of yesterday and bringing it to the underground venues across the globe.
Upcoming tour dates:
Mon, 19 Nov 2012 Xxxperience 16 Anos at Arena Maeda - Itu/sp / Brazil
Thu, 22 Nov 2012 Magda, Sonja Moonear, Domenic D`agnelli at Rockbox / Munich, Germany
Fri, 30 Nov 2012 Red Fridays Pres: Magda with Lxsx Frxnk at ?U Street Music Hall / Washington DC, USA
Photo by: Huybert van de Stadt
- 03.08.2020 Ivan Dorn unearths stunning new single 'Love Could Be'
- 22.05.2019 Selena Gomez at Cannes 2019
- 22.05.2019 Here Are the Lyrics to Taylor Swift's 'ME!,'
- 22.05.2019 Why Gwyneth Paltrow Has Worked Hard'
- 20.05.2019 Netherlands wins Eurovision
- 22.05.2019 Julia Roberts Reveals Why Shes Never Watched Game of Thrones
- 22.05.2019 Elton John: 'Being a performer saved my life'
- 22.05.2019 Shakira and Carlos Vives beat plagiarism case
- 20.05.2019 Taylor Swift admits strange shower habit
- 19.05.2019 Sam Smith & Normani's 'Dancing With a Stranger' Hits No. 1
- 19.05.2019 Michael Jackson's Eldest Child Prince Graduates
- 15.05.2019 Taylor Swift Reacts to YouTubers' 'ME!'
- 19.05.2019 Unfinished Prince memoir gets publication date
- 15.05.2019 'Daisy Jones & the Six' goes behind the music
- 15.05.2019 P!nk and Stormzy Continue U.K. Chart Reigns
- 15.05.2019 Halsey Announces New Single 'Nightmare'
- 14.05.2019 Grandmaster Flash wins Polar Music Prize
- 14.05.2019 New releases from Amanda Palmer, Stella Donnelly
- 19.05.2019 Hozier talks about new album 'Wasteland, Baby!'
- 14.05.2019 Myspace loses 50 million songs
Back to news