A Sit Down With DJ Havana Brown
Havana Brown is no stranger to playing major gigs for huge audiences. In a relatively short career, she has already opened for musical powerhouses such as Britney Spears, Rihanna, The Pussycat Dolls, Chris Brown and Enrique Iglesias, and is currently supporting Bruno Mars in Las Vegas.
"My main aim is to have fun; sometimes when you're in the industry and you're working on music you can think about things way too much."
How did you get started?
I was living in the UK and was in a music group. It was three guys and me. We recorded an album and had a record label, but right when we were about to release the first single, the band broke up. It was really hard for me. I felt like I had come so far and was so close to pursuing my dreams. Then, I was right back down to the bottom. One night, I was talking to the DJ in the band and I was telling him how he had the best job in the world. He gets to go out and perform, play good music, make people laugh, sing, dance and enjoy themselves. I was telling him how much I'd love to do that. So, he told me I should do it. At the time, DJing wasn't something females thought about doing, but I just ran with it.
Where do you draw your inspirations from?
I create mixes that make me feel like hitting the dance floor. Essentially I love what I do and it really does not take me much to get inspired. I'm constantly researching new tracks, sounds and artists online and finding new songs that I love or that are somewhat different.
What genre do you spin?
My sound is always evolving. When I started DJing it was just RnB all the way. I grew up with RnB so it was only natural but the older I get the more I appreciate other types of music. I love incorporating different genres because good music is good music and I dont like to discriminate. So you may hear a little house or rock in among the RnB and Hip Hop tracks. If the crowd is open to it I can go wild if they let me.
If you could collaborate with any other artist, who would it be and why?
There are quite a few; I'd love to work with Janet Jackson as I've always idolized her and Kylie Minogue purely for the fact that she is an absolute legend and she's done amazingly for an Australian pop act, worldwide and I aspire to be like her.
What do you think makes a good DJ? It seems like nowadays anyone with a laptop can become a DJ. What are the skills that are involved?
Anyone can become a DJ but to become a good DJ, theres a difference between the common DJ that cant necessarily book international gigs and theres ones that can. Yeah, anyone can be a DJ but you can be a good DJ or a bad DJ. I think you have to be able to mix the songs well, theres got to be flow and mix the right songs. Its so difficult to explain, really. Im just so glad that people enjoy what I do. I like to cut things short, and mix things well, to have a flow and be a journey. I like to have a lot of types of music as well, a little bit of rock, rnb, house and dance music. Mixing it up is really good, and lots of fun and lots of people can enjoy it too.
What would you say has been the most difficult performance in your career?
I think probably my first performance with Britney Spears. It was in Paris, and I just remember being so nervous, I couldnt eat! I remember just thinking I cant believe Im on tour with Britney Spears! On top of that, theres 43,000 people out there in the audience, and her dad actually came to the dressing room and introduced himself. He was really sweet, and then he said By the way, its really really quiet out there! I dont know what it is, its a full house, but its dead silent. I need you to really pump them up!
- 15.11.2018 Emily Eavis hints at Glastonbury 2019 headline act
- 15.11.2018 A Star Is Born Gets New Trigger Warning In New Zealand
- 12.11.2018 Model Slick Woods went in to labour during Rihanna's Savage x Fenty lingerie show
- 12.11.2018 We Finally Found Noah Centineos Flaw
- 05.11.2018 The Spice Girls Have Finally Reunited and Announced They're Officially Going on Tour
- 05.11.2018 Everything To Know About Gwyneth Paltrow's Wedding Dress
- 10.11.2018 Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Look so Happy in This Behind-the-Scenes Royal Tour Photo
- 05.11.2018 Kim Kardashian Calls Ray J a "Pathological Liar" Over Sex Claims
- 10.11.2018 Rihanna Doesn't Want Trump to Play Her Songs at His Rallies
- 11.11.2018 Janet Jackson Delivers Emotional Me Too Speech At MTV
- 03.11.2018 Miley Cyrus teams up with Madonna for MTV Unplugged performance
- 11.11.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Krufty Kuts
- 05.11.2018 Beyonce recreates Toni Braxton album cover for Halloween
- 03.11.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Orbital
- 05.07.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Havana Brown
- 15.06.2018 30 Seconds to Mars guitarist Tomo Milicevic quits band
- 10.07.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Ben Gold
- 11.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Ben Nicky
- 11.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Wally Lopez
- 06.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Martin Solveig
Back to news