A Sit Down With DJ Felix Cartal
Felix has a fresh sound and understanding when it comes to electronic and pop tying in together for the best of both worlds. He has an appreciation for commercial music while many in the EDM scene dont. Felix Cartal comes off more as a songwriter and real musician producer than your average DJ. That said he still has the charm and personality to make you want to listen to his unique & stellar production work.
"Sometimes I feel like I don't communicate properly in relationships, because songwriting sessions often act as their own form of therapy."
How did you become interested in music?
I've always loved listening to music growing up, and when I was 13 years old I bullied my way into my friends' band when they fired their singer. Throughout high school we wrote and made music and after we disbanded I started to do my own thing.
Who are some of your musical inspirations?
The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, Radiohead.. I don't know weird stuff, I can go on for hours. Even The WEEKEND and slowed down stuff like that.
You hail from Canada. Do you feel that the scene over there is being dwarfed by Americas insatiable hunger for EDM?
I feel like we are a part of it. Dance music is very healthy in North America right now, I feel fortunate to be a part of the scene as it is thriving.
Your sound is pretty unique. Do trends influence your sound or you rather stick to your own inspirations?
I think I'm aware of trends but don't try to play into them too much. I think if you can use sounds that are current and channel your own inspirations and honesty through them, then you will get the best result. I haven't perfected this yet, but I'm always learning, always trying to get better.
Whats your favorite DJ in general?
Style of Eye, I think he´s amazing. His tracks are like a journey, they start at one place and end up in an other and his album is a great balance of serious melodies but they´re still very fun. That´s the perfect thing to do which is always hard because you don´t want to be too serious and depress the people in the club but you don´t wanna be so cheesy that it´s like corny. He travels the line really well, very intense and melodic stuff but when it comes down it´s still a good party.
You've become known for producing music. What led to your becoming interested in that side of the business?
Producing electronic music was really fascinating to me because it felt way more free than being in a band. I liked the idea that you could make a multitude of different sounds and pull from a wider range of influences rather than being pigeonholed to one thing.
- 30.11.2018 Katy Perry is Forbes' highest-paid woman in music for 2018
- 30.11.2018 The Chemical Brothers announce new album No Geography and UK arena tour
- 30.11.2018 John Mayer Decided To Get Sober After Drakes 30th Birthday Party
- 19.11.2018 Miley Cyrus 'Devastated' After Losing Home to California Wildfires
- 19.11.2018 G-Eazy Was Spotted on a PDA-Heavy Date with Someone Who's Definitely Not Halsey
- 19.11.2018 Justin Bieber Is Tired of People's "Demands" During His "Season of Self-Discovery"
- 30.11.2018 Zayn Malik Just Confirmed That Taylor Swift Really Does Travel IN Suitcases
- 30.11.2018 Everything you need to know about Hailey Baldwin
- 19.11.2018 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2018: Rita Ora, Halsey & More Announced To Perform
- 15.11.2018 Emily Eavis hints at Glastonbury 2019 headline act
- 15.11.2018 A Star Is Born Gets New Trigger Warning In New Zealand
- 12.11.2018 Model Slick Woods went in to labour during Rihanna's Savage x Fenty lingerie show
- 30.11.2018 Dinah Jane Is Stepping Out On Her Own
- 12.11.2018 We Finally Found Noah Centineos Flaw
- 30.11.2018 Emma Stone Is A Bigger Spice Girl Stan Than You
- 30.11.2018 People On Twitter Are Sharing The Stupidest Things Theyve Said To Celebrities
- 05.11.2018 The Spice Girls Have Finally Reunited and Announced They're Officially Going on Tour
- 05.11.2018 Everything To Know About Gwyneth Paltrow's Wedding Dress
- 10.11.2018 Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Look so Happy in This Behind-the-Scenes Royal Tour Photo
- 05.11.2018 Kim Kardashian Calls Ray J a "Pathological Liar" Over Sex Claims
Back to news