A Sit Down With DJ Hernan Cattaneo
Being a resident DJ to one of the biggest clubs in Buenos Aires the legendary Clubland Hernan Cattaneo made his mark as a warmer DJ for some of the biggest names of the industry. Shortly after, he developed strong friendships with the likes of Paul Oakenfold, John Digweed and Sasha. His talent has been spotted instantly, which took him on the path to super stardom.
"Success is like a prize, but its useless if you cant keep delivering the good stuff."
Lets talk about your producing process a bit, what does your studio consist of? What hardware/software do you use most and why?
I'm always touring, so for me, it's my Mac running Logic & Live then the guys have proper full studio set ups to complete the work the right way.
Who is your favorite DJ and what about them do you most admire?
Hard question. I like a lot of DJ's but i´d say Danny Howells, great DJ, amazing person and an especially strong musical identity.
You see a change within the electronic music culture. Do you think that there is also a difference from DJing in the past and now?
All changed and nothing changed it really depends on the way you see it. 35 years ago, I found out that DJing is the way to share the music I love with other people and make them having a good time. It is the most important thing and it didnt change at all. Im still doing exactly the same. The only thing that changed is the way DJs do it, from vinyl to computers and everything in between, DJs became entertainers and for many, the only important thing is how much they make people have fun. I still like DJs that play music (whatever way possible) and not DJs that throw cakes to the crowd, jump on DJ tables, or show off in private planes. I really feel uncomfortable with that side of our scene, but try not to pay much attention to them.
How has technology changed your approach to DJing over the years?
A lot and nothing. As a DJ, for me, its always been about making people have a good time while playing the music I like. Since I was a kid I always wanted to share those records that gave me goosebumps with my friends or other people and never enjoyed for one second watching people going mad with music I dont like. So in that respect, nothing changed my approach of DJing.
What do you like to do when you relax?
Just chill, watch movies, being with my girlfriend, cooking and just relaxing normally and not really doing anything. DJ life is a really on the move all the time. I fly like 150 flights a year so usually you don't have a week without at least two or three flights. So when you have time off you just do nothing. You just keep quiet, being with your friends, your family, that's the kind of stuff I do.
What was the most pivotal moment in your career? The one where you thought this is going to be something big.
Probably when I started touring with Oakie and when I moved from Buenos Aires to London. I was doing really well as Pachas resident in Argentina, but I was in England for less than six months and I was already part of Cream in Liverpool & Ibiza and playing all over the place. We all know how difficult is to have a chance in the international scene, and that was a huge opportunity for me.
- 15.06.2018 30 Seconds to Mars guitarist Tomo Milicevic quits band
- 11.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Ben Nicky
- 11.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Wally Lopez
- 06.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Martin Solveig
- 20.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Funtcase
- 20.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Claudia Cazacu
- 06.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Felix Cartal
- 15.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Ftampa
- 05.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Cosmic Gate
- 29.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Alex Kenji
- 05.06.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Filo and Peri
- 29.05.2018 A Sit Down Wit DJ Christian Smith
- 28.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Marcus Schossow
- 28.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Soulwax
- 23.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Lindsey Stirling
- 23.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Sophie Sugar
- 21.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Sub Focus
- 21.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Noisecontrollers
- 20.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Dzeko & Torres
- 20.05.2018 A Sit Down With DJ Luciano
Back to news