A Sit Down With DJ Danny Howard
Danny Howard has been a household name for dance lovers for the past three years, starting his rocket to fame on the white isle where he won the BBC Radio 1 Superstar DJ competition and soon after secured himself a slot on Radio 1 with Dance Anthems with Danny Howard. At an admirable 26 years old, its fair to say that Dannys done pretty well for himself.
"A fast pace, something that you enjoy and know, but the key word is energy if theres energy in the music that will come through into your running."
How has your sound progressed in the last 3 years?
Id like to give you a definitive answer on that, but I cant. My sound is just so all over the place and not in a way that I dont know what Im doing, or I cant make my mind up, its because I think its important for me as a broadcaster to try and represent different areas of dance music where I can. In my club sets its still more the big-room house side of things, but on the radio I can play anything from drumnbass to house to deep house to big room to Electro If its good music and its got the key ingredient which is energy, then Ill play it!
What is it about dance music that is so special? Why are you so passionate about it?
I think because so many sub genres fall under the umbrella, you can connect with so many different types of people, so many different tastes. Its the only genre that can bring so many different types of people together. Alone it can make you feel good. At a party it can set the atmosphere off.
Do you listen to music while you run?
Always. I cant exercise without listening to music. A lot of my friends at university did research into whether music enhances performance, and I dont care what the results were on that because in my case it does. If youve got a good mix on, or a song that you like, it helps you run or push yourself that little bit further.
Apart from the mighty Judge Jules which DJs have inspired you in the past and would you most like to perform with?
Jules is a legend and a true pioneer of dance music. Hes the perfect example of how to play the game in the DJ world as its a tough industry to be successful in so if I have a career like him, I will be very happy! Aside from Jules, my hero is Erick Morillo. Another legend and Ive never seen anyone work a dance floor like this guy! Simply unbelievable.
You have played numerous venues around the island. Do you have a favourite? Also, do you find you have to vary your style depending on which venue you play?
Great question and yes I do! Pacha I play straight up house, little bit of tech, little bit of deep and just stuff with great groove. At Cream, Amnesia, I treat it a bit more like a festival set so theirs definitely a lot of bigger moments and theirs no greater feeling of making that legendary terrace go crazy. I think its the perfect combination for me playing the two venues and it tests my versatility as a DJ
What do you like to do in Ibiza other than DJing? Do you have a favourite place/beach/restaurant?
Café Mambo has to be one of my favourite spots their chicken strips are out of this world. Give them a try! Also I really like KM5 and Bambuddha Grove to eat or if youre in San Antonio, give Tapas a try. If you get the opportunity, get across to Formentera the best beaches Ive ever seen in the world!
Whats the best thing about Ibiza?
Thats easy the music and DJs. But theres so much more the amazing food, beaches, and the culture you ought to immerse yourself in when you visit. Then theres hiring a boat for the day, or sitting at Café Mambo with a bite to eat as the sun sets and a DJ plays behind you. Its a really special part of the world.
What`s the best advice you could give to student who want to become DJs?
The advice Id give is to work hard, take opportunities because you never know what will happen the only reason I entered that competition was because my friends and family heard the advertisement and told me to enter. You never know.
And if your life hadnt taken you down the music path, where do you think youd be today?
Id always planned to be a sports psychologist because thats what I studied at university. My original plan was to be working with the athletes at the 2012 Olympics, but when 2012 finally arrived I was actually working at Radio 1! I dont think anyone could have guessed that, least of all me!
- 14.01.2019 NFL Confirms Maroon 5, Travis Scott & Big Boi to Perform at Super Bowl
- 14.01.2019 GRLwood Serves Up Kentucky Fried Queer Punk
- 14.01.2019 JoJo Re-Recorded Her Debut Album
- 14.01.2019 Nicki Minaj Is Being Compared To Lil Kim In New Vogue
- 09.01.2019 Two Beyoncé Albums Were Leaked On Spotify
- 09.01.2019 Kathy Griffin Calls Out No Women Among Top-Paid Comedians
- 25.12.2018 Gwen Stefani heading to demo about concert stampede
- 25.12.2018 Jennifer Lopez understands Alex Rodriguez marriage speculation
- 25.12.2018 Megan Fox Thought She Wouldnt Be A Sympathetic Victim For #MeToo
- 25.12.2018 Please Dont Let Miley Cyrus Make Another Hip-Hop Album
- 23.12.2018 Taylor Swift and Joe Alwyn Might Get Engaged Soon
- 23.12.2018 Britney Spears Meets Nine Inch Nails On Betta Lemmes New Track
- 23.12.2018 Ariana Grande Honors A Simple, Beautiful Love On New Track Imagine
- 14.12.2018 Women Dominated The 2019 Grammy Nominations
- 23.12.2018 LFREAQ Gets Freaky In New Video
- 23.12.2018 Did Madonna Just Try To Reignite Beef With Lady Gaga?
- 23.12.2018 Apparently, Cardi B Is Too Busy To Go To Court
- 14.12.2018 The Only Good Thing On The Internet Is Britney Spears Instagram
- 14.12.2018 Lana Del Rey Is Apparently Venturing Into Country Music Now
- 14.12.2018 Ariana Grande Reveals The Heartfelt Letter She Wrote To Manchester Victims
Back to news