A Sit Down With DJ Roger Sanchez
Roger Sanchez a.k.a. S-Man has been conquering the dance music circuit since the late 80s riding the wave of creativity, passion, and major success. Hes collaborated with a plethora of music icons including Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Madonna, Maroon 5, One Republic, and No Doubt. He is a four-time winner of the DJ Awards Best House DJ, has produced countless chart-topping hits including Lost which reached #1 on the Billboard dance chat, AND he won Grammy for his remix of No Doubts Hella Good in 2002. His name is known and respected across the globe with residencies in Ibizas finest clubs for nearly two decades.
"Everything has a foundation and the track is a construction. The skeleton frames, the beams are the bassline, and you build it up around that. I treat every track as a problem that I have to solve."
Your so busy with your career, how do you relax?
I love taking downtime and hanging out at the beach in summer or going to the movies. Im getting back into the gym lately and my martial arts - sometimes you have to just disconnect. I love chillin.
Which DJs are in your crew now? Who are you tight with? Who do you see socially?
Carnao Beats, Huxley, Cocodrills, Man Without A Clue. Darius Syrossian's pretty cool. I tend to bump into people at airports and hang out with them in places like Ibiza.
Roger Sanchez and S-Man explain the difference....
S-Man has always allowed me to experiment with darker sounds. As Roger Sanchez, the house sound has always been more traditional and uplifting. But now specifically? S-Man is allowing me to explore sounds from the UK bass scene as well as some deep techno roots. Its a bass-driven thing, which actually takes me back to the S-Man stuff I was doing in the Nineties...only its even grittier. As for Roger Sanchez, Im still about those vocal, uplifting records...very soulful and maybe with some Latin elements. Its proper house music.
Youve played at almost every club in Ibiza for over 15 years, and now youre joining the ranks of beach parties at La Plage tell us about it?
I wanted to do something different with my label Stealth rather than just fold it into a night at Release Yourself; I wanted it to be focused on other artists rather than myself. A beach party is a lot more relaxed, more chilled and a different vibe. Ill be there hanging out, which is a big change for me, because normally Im behind the booth
What are some of the best/must visit spots in Ibiza?
If youre talking club-wise, you definitely want to check out Hï which is the re-done Space. They did an amazing job refurbishing the space. I also think Pacha is a must visit, especially when Solomun is playing, hes got a great night there. Find out when the Elrow parties are going on, I believe theyre doing it at Amnesia this year. Those parties are always fun. I also like this party called WooMoon that they do in Cova Santa which is really reallly interesting. Very interesting vibe, different kind of music and a really cool crowd.
What is your favourite aspect of performing at the new Hï Ibiza venue and why?
I confess that the main room at Space Ibiza didnt hold as much attraction for me as the Terrace did, but the new main room at Hï Ibiza is next level. This main room feels comfortable and epic at the same time. I think they did it right.
Being many years into your career you have experienced a slew of summer schedules. As this is always a particularly busy time, how do you prepare for the rigors of the summer? Do you have a certain protocol to maintain health and mindfulness?
One thing I do is try to set up some time for the gym whenever possible, get as much rest as I can and drink LOTS of water. When the summer is in full swing all the flying can take a toll and the way I cope is to manage my rest time very carefully.
It's a boring to debate the pros and cons of vinyl/digital sources, but for you specifically how do you think the switch has altered your style, if at all?
When I did switch over from vinyl to CDs I did it for two reasons, that it enabled me to bring a LOT of music on the road with me. The weight restrictions and the physical difficulties of taking a lot of vinyl on tour... Then there was the fact that I could do things that were a lot more interesting if I went digital, in terms of loops, acapellas... Every now and then I still do a vinyl set, but I'm able these days to bring a lot more newer music on USBs.
What do you think of the current house music scene in NYC? Can we still dance?
You can dance, of course you can! The thing is that New York had it rough you know first there was the Mayor trying to build a platform for his career by protecting the kids who were dying in our nightclubs by closing them. It was very political and clubs were a scapegoat to politicians for a while so it was all misunderstood and that hurt the scene. 9/11 really brought New York down too but theres a slow resurgence now in New Yorks nightclubs. Many of the kids are into hip hop and if theyre into house its the harder end stuff so seemingly the older crowd dont want to go where these young kids are. House music is more adult, so venues have to cater for that maturity, plus the kids whore growing into house music later too!
- 14.01.2019 NFL Confirms Maroon 5, Travis Scott & Big Boi to Perform at Super Bowl
- 14.01.2019 GRLwood Serves Up Kentucky Fried Queer Punk
- 14.01.2019 JoJo Re-Recorded Her Debut Album
- 14.01.2019 Nicki Minaj Is Being Compared To Lil Kim In New Vogue
- 09.01.2019 Two Beyoncé Albums Were Leaked On Spotify
- 09.01.2019 Kathy Griffin Calls Out No Women Among Top-Paid Comedians
- 25.12.2018 Gwen Stefani heading to demo about concert stampede
- 25.12.2018 Jennifer Lopez understands Alex Rodriguez marriage speculation
- 25.12.2018 Megan Fox Thought She Wouldnt Be A Sympathetic Victim For #MeToo
- 25.12.2018 Please Dont Let Miley Cyrus Make Another Hip-Hop Album
- 23.12.2018 Taylor Swift and Joe Alwyn Might Get Engaged Soon
- 23.12.2018 Britney Spears Meets Nine Inch Nails On Betta Lemmes New Track
- 23.12.2018 Ariana Grande Honors A Simple, Beautiful Love On New Track Imagine
- 14.12.2018 Women Dominated The 2019 Grammy Nominations
- 23.12.2018 LFREAQ Gets Freaky In New Video
- 23.12.2018 Did Madonna Just Try To Reignite Beef With Lady Gaga?
- 23.12.2018 Apparently, Cardi B Is Too Busy To Go To Court
- 14.12.2018 The Only Good Thing On The Internet Is Britney Spears Instagram
- 14.12.2018 Lana Del Rey Is Apparently Venturing Into Country Music Now
- 14.12.2018 Ariana Grande Reveals The Heartfelt Letter She Wrote To Manchester Victims
Back to news