A Sit Down With DJ Milk N Cookies
Milk N Cookies, although duplicated (members Paul and James are twins) their sound and use of sarcasm can never be imitated. The fun-loving creators of Post Bro House have a style all their own and they, quite frankly, DGAF. Paul and James are purveyors of an always energetic, upbeat party vibe that draws inspiration from The Chainsmokers and their own experiences.
The native Chicagoans, who also work under their own label Kitchin Records, are relatively new to the scene but are carving their own way through sheer talent, personalities that attract even the most cynical electronic listener, and frat brothers gone bad good looks.
"Music was something I always wanted to doas my job or my life and I could never see myself doing anything else."
Where did the name Milk N Cooks come from?
This homeless man was shittin\ himself all over the sidewalk this one time when we were in San Fransisco.
Tell me about some of your early gigs.
One of our first gigs was a sweet 16 party. And we got a bunch of baseball uniforms and dyed them pinkpink baseball uniforms at the Coventry. We also had pink pajamas with feet. We were cultivating the idea of a uniform but that didnt last very long, so we just started wearing different clothes.
Where do you find inspiration for your music?
It\s pretty crazy because literally any sound can generate a full song in my head like I can hear a printer shooting out some shit that someone is printing and it\ll start a whole melody in my head and then if I keep imagining shit I can literally make a whole song in my head from that one random sound everything seems to have a \pitch\ to me and I don\t know, the almighty creator just blessed me with the ability to build melodies and songs out of anything pretty sick shit eh?
What is the Milk N Cooks sound, and how would you describe it to noobs?
Dope ass music, do not care about style or tempo. If it's awesome, it's awesome, and anyone will believe it. If it's good.
So what would be your ideal festival?
Ideally we would fly to a little beach and live in a little hut for 5 days. On some remote beach where Oh No is cooking up shrimp and there Claude Von Stroke and us playing the festival, deep house. Smoke weed in your hut all day and bang Hawaiian chicks. Your drinking your glasses while all the dudes are playing. 200 people are traveling there, Rhiannas chillin. Gotta be a beach setting. A luxury beach is ideal, lemurs not allowed.
If you could collaborate with anyone, time not being a factor, who would it be?
I dont think were sick enough yet to make a super banger with someone like Michael Jackson, but it would get us famous as fuck to make a hit with Justin Bieber! But people that would be fun as hell to work with would be Dada Life, Diplo, and Dillon Francis because people say we have similar personalities. And Riff Raff! Fucken Riff Raff is number one.
You have a different life now thats not a hundred percent Milk n Cookiesit must be a little odd for you, to be going back.
The whole pain of the end of Milk n Cookies was something I didnt want to think about cuz I always thought it was such a great band and could have been so huge. It was painful that it never seemed to reach its potential. Years later some Japanese label re-released the CD without anyones knowledge and I was at a record store one day and saw it. Whoa! What is this? All of a sudden all these weird things started happening. Id see people online talking about Milk n Cookies and trying to get in touch with me about it. We got asked to do this power pop festival in Brooklyn and so we did that.
What was your best musical experience?
Definitely the recognition we got, and the popularity we gained, and the financial security we gained just simply from making one free bootleg remix that blew up internationally last summer and took us to the next level in every way. We made more money, we got more respect, people wouldnt fuck with us, big DJs played our stuff. That was a huge moment that people wait for.
- 11.12.2018 Azealia Banks Calls Out Lana Del Rey For Criticizing Kanye
- 11.12.2018 Actually, Its Cool If Céline Dion Is A Satanist
- 11.12.2018 Miley Cyrus Is On The Run From The Police In New Video
- 11.12.2018 Apparently, Rita Ora And Andrew Garfield Are Dating
- 30.11.2018 Katy Perry is Forbes' highest-paid woman in music for 2018
- 11.12.2018 Taylor Swift hops to Universal Music Group
- 11.12.2018 Steve Aoki shares all Asian-American cast video for BTS collaboration Waste It On Me
- 30.11.2018 The Chemical Brothers announce new album No Geography and UK arena tour
- 11.12.2018 Sky Ferreira Reveals When New Music Is Coming
- 11.12.2018 Lion Babe Takes A New Approach To A Holiday Classic
- 11.12.2018 Zayn And Nicki Minaj Teamed Up For A New Song
- 30.11.2018 John Mayer Decided To Get Sober After Drakes 30th Birthday Party
- 19.11.2018 Miley Cyrus 'Devastated' After Losing Home to California Wildfires
- 19.11.2018 G-Eazy Was Spotted on a PDA-Heavy Date with Someone Who's Definitely Not Halsey
- 19.11.2018 Justin Bieber Is Tired of People's "Demands" During His "Season of Self-Discovery"
- 30.11.2018 Zayn Malik Just Confirmed That Taylor Swift Really Does Travel IN Suitcases
- 30.11.2018 Everything you need to know about Hailey Baldwin
- 19.11.2018 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2018: Rita Ora, Halsey & More Announced To Perform
- 15.11.2018 Emily Eavis hints at Glastonbury 2019 headline act
- 15.11.2018 A Star Is Born Gets New Trigger Warning In New Zealand
Back to news