Supreme Court Won't Hear Appeal in Capitol Records Vs Vimeo Copyright Dispute
The ruling said websites are protected from liability for inadvertently hosting music recorded before 1972.
The Supreme Court won't hear an appeal from record companies that want to pursue copyright infringement claims against music site Vimeo for hosting unauthorized recordings from the Beatles, Elvis Presley and other classic artists.
The justices on Monday left in place a federal appeals court ruling that said websites are protected from liability even for older music recorded before 1972.
Capitol Records and other music companies sued Vimeo for violating copyright laws based on 199 videos uploaded by users. A federal judge ruled a federal "safe harbor" law did not cover pre-1972 recordings that are protected by state law.
But a New York federal appeals court overturned that ruling, saying service providers would incur heavy costs to monitor every posting or risk "crushing liabilities" under state law.
- 13.06.2017 DON DIABLO REFUSES TO PLAY ANOTHER UMF EVENT
- 06.06.2017 JOSEPH CAPRIATI DELIVERS PROPULSIVE ESSENTIAL MIX
- 06.06.2017 FOUR NEW TRACKS FROM ERIC PRYDZ
- 23.05.2017 SPOTIFY GLOBAL HEAD: STREAMING SERVICES ARENâT PAYING ARTISTS ENOUGH
- 16.05.2017 Andrew Weatherall remixes Yello's 'Frautonium'
- 16.05.2017 MARCEL DETTMANN PREPARE âSELECTORSâ COMPILATION FOR DEKMANTEL
- 09.05.2017 BESTIVAL AND 25 UK MUSIC FESTIVAL WEBSITES AGAINST SEXUAL ASSAULT
- 02.05.2017 VIN DIESEL WANTS TO BECOME AN EDM STAR
- 25.04.2017 MARTIN GARRIX AND TROYE SIVAN PERFORM NEW TRACK 'THERE FOR YOU' AT COACHELLA WEEKEND 2
- 25.04.2017 SKRILLEX AND KENDRICK LAMAR WILL COLLABORATE ON TRACK FOR UPCOMING JUSTICE LEAGUE MOVIE
- 18.04.2017 MARTIN GARRIX BRINGS OUT brand-new tune during his Coachella set
- 18.04.2017 DAVID GUETTA SIGNS WITH SCOOTER BRAUNâS MANAGEMENT
- 11.04.2017 CLOUDBOUNCE LAUNCH THE WORLDâS MOST ADVANCED ONLINE MASTERING SERVICE
- 11.04.2017 DJ gets eight years for selling ecstasy and cocaine
- 04.04.2017 RECORDING DESK FROM ABBEY ROAD STUDIOS SELLS FOR $1.8 MILLION
- 04.04.2017 Historic milestone for Danish DJs
- 28.03.2017 DISCOGS REVEALS LIST OF TOP 25 BEST-SELLING TECHNO RECORDS
- 28.03.2017 THE CHAINSMOKERS DROP NEW TRACK 'THE ONE'
- 28.03.2017 Supreme Court Won't Hear Appeal in Capitol Records Vs Vimeo Copyright Dispute
- 21.03.2017 Daft Punk's revelead the sources for many of the pair's most famous releases.
Back to news