Virtual DJ Pro Mapping

Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-400 FAQ :: Virtual DJ Pro MappingReply
Virtual DJ Pro Mapping
Posted on: 07.07.2012 by Brenna Welbes
For those who seek it, here is my mapping for Virtual DJ Pro 7. All mappings are for decks A and B only.

This is a work in progress but here's what I've got so far:
Cue Grid
-sets/jumps 8 cue points
-"Cue" button + cue grid button, deletes individual cue points
Gratify Grid
-Top row is BeatGrid, FlippinDouble and Flanger. I have other 3rd party effect plugins mapped to some of the other buttons but if you dont have these, obviously they wont work. The effects engage while the button is pressed. However you can use the "Loop Active" button directly above the grid to toggle the selected effect on/off. Above the "Loop Active" button, the two center knobs at the top of the device control the effect parameters
Transport
-Deck A(left to right): loop half, set 4 count loop, set 8 count loop, loop double, loop out, play+sync.
-Deck B(left to right): play+sync, loop out, loop half, set 4 count loop, set 8 count loop, loop double.
Headphone Cue
-For decks A & B, the headphone buttons above the volume faders will activate the cue for that deck.
You will need to go into the VDJ settings "Sound Setup" tab. In the drop-down list, select "Advanced Config". Click the "Advanced Config..." button. Click the "+" button to add a new line. In the first drop-down, select "Headphones. In the second, select "Vestax VCI-400". In the third, select "Output 5&6". Click "OK", then "OK" again to exit settings. I have mapped the headphone volume knob to the Master Volume knob directly above the "Shift" button. However, you must make sure the headphones' "Level" knob next to the headphone jack is turned up.

I have also mapped the crossfader, volume faders, tempo faders, EQ & gain knobs, browser encoder, and load/sync buttons.

To make it work:
-Download and unzip Generic MIDI mapping(VCI-400SE v1.0).zip
-Copy the Generic MIDI mapping(VCI-400SE).xml file to your "Documents\VirtualDJ\Mappers" directory.
-Set both decks to "Jog FX" mode via the switches at the bottom of the device.
-That's it. Launch VDJ.

Changes since previous version:
-Removed Jog FX. Replaced with semi-standard beat-matching functionality.
-Added cue delete functionality
-Added headphone cue functionality

I fully welcome all comments/questions/suggestions. Also, I'm willing to help anyone map specific press effects to the Gratify grid.
Tomas Lily
i
Tomas Lily
i
Tomas Lily
i
Tomas Lily
i
Tomas Lily
i
Tomas Lily
i
Tomas Lily
i
Tomas Lily
i
Brenna Welbes
Worked like a charm for cue delete purposes Synthet1c.

Originally Posted by Bhajan
Sweetness.

I'm gonna use this for my Gratify Grid; 'shift + effect = toggle effect'.
This however is another story. It's doing something that's basically redundant. I'm gonna fiddle with it some more though..
Brenna Welbes
Like, how about auto sync on cue jump? To sort of emulate Traktors quantize/snap? Sounds like a cool idea, if I could get it to work ... hmmm...

Just realized Virtual DJ has a built-in cue snap feature via the smart_cue toggle. Derp! Ahh well... ya learn somethin' new everyday.
Brenna Welbes
Originally Posted by synthet1c
You need a registered version, so LE $???, Pro full $300, Pro basic $100, broadcaster $50 to get effects. You get a discount when upgrading from any minor version to the full version though, so buying basic or broadcastor is an investment as most of the price comes off upgrading to Pro, both don't allow external control from midi or timecode and broadcaster doesn't allow ASIO soundcard routing.

But if you want the cheapest option buy a secondhand Mixtrack Pro that hasn't had the serial upgraded, upgrade with the serial then sell the mixtrack, same story with a Hercules RMX, they both give 50% off upgrading, or you could do what I did and get a secondhand virtual vinyl system or numark cue "boxed software" and upgrade that... cost me 120$ for VV with soundcard, TC vinyl, then upgrading was only $50 WIN!...
I see. Ahh well, guess I'll just do what I can with what I got (which is a copy of VDJ Pro 7 that works as long as I keep it blocked via firewall + a torrent full of effects, although I suspect I'm missing many of the best ones, such as looproll). I can't afford to purchase VDJ at this time, though I may consider it once I see what VDJ8 can do. For now, I'm just happy to provide SOMETHING for the VCI-400 EGE users who like VDJ, because as of yet, I haven't seen a single VDJ mapping for the device posted anywhere, until I decided to post one myself. It appears I've had at least a couple takers for my mapping, so that's motivation enough for me to keep working on it. I guess what I'll do is keep mapping stuff thats native to a clean install of VDJ, and then I could always modify the FX pointers to match specific users' FX needs.
Leo Lewis
A final mapper for the DJTECHTOOLS VCI-400 was made ​​by the Atomix teamer Moramax

Download: http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/1609...L_EDITION.html
Tomas Lily
i
Brenna Welbes
Worked like a charm for cue delete purposes Synthet1c.

Sweetness.

This however is another story. It's doing something that's basically redundant. I'm gonna fiddle with it some more though..
Brenna Welbes
Sweetness.

Jonathan Chiuchiolo
no worries..

to set a shift button you just need to choose whether you want it to be toggled on and off or momentary. To toggle the shift on and off you would use "toggle 'my_var'" for momentary you use "set 'my_var' while_pressed". There is a couple of other ways to do it but this should be enough for now.

**the variable name 'my_var' can be anything you choose as long as you call the same name on the control you are using, the most common being simply 'shift'**

You can also choose if you want a shift button to affect the whole controller "global" or just the side of the controller you pressed the button on "local". For global shifts add a dollar sign "$" before the variable name eg. "set '$my_var' while_pressed", otherwise leave it out for local shifts.

**this only applies to properly defined controllers, so unfortunately for this it won't work... but you can name the variables differently for the two decks eg "set 'shift_left' while_pressed"**

Now you have set a variable on the registry you just need to call that on any of the controls. for any variable in vdj it works off a simple formula of

query ? action if true : action if false

so for your example of deleting the hot cue when shift is enabled "true", or hot cueing it if shift is disabled "false" you would use

var 'my_var' ? delete_cue 1 : hot_cue 1

I almost forgot, becuase you are using the simple midi wrapper you need to allocate the deck number infront of everything eg.

deck 1 var 'my_var' ? deck 1 delete_cue 1 : deck 1 hot_cue 1

It takes an hour or two to compile a definition file but makes life so much quicker and easier mapping, and then you get use of the leds...

Hope that helps
Brenna Welbes
Hey Synthet1c, you mind giving me a brief example of mapping modifiers buttons? I have the 8-button cue-grid mapped to set cue points, so now I need to be able to delete cue points and I'm hoping to do it like "shift + cue_point = delete cue point".

Thanks!
Brenna Welbes
Like, how about auto sync on cue jump? To sort of emulate Traktors quantize/snap? Sounds like a cool idea, if I could get it to work ... hmmm...

Just realized Virtual DJ has a built-in cue snap feature via the smart_cue toggle. Derp! Ahh well... ya learn somethin' new everyday.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
here is my thread for a vdj mapper of the midifighter, It uses almost every trick in the book that you can do with a button or led. I also posted links to some essential vst plugins that I use, accept moot "that's a piece of crap lol"

Be warned the mapping is quite big, but if you want to read it just open it in a text editor and use find and replace to change the xml specific codes [' , " , &] to their more readable equivalent [ ' , " , &]
Brenna Welbes
An encoder that scrolls through FX, activating each one while selected. While spinning a jog to control FX parameters. Basically enabling seemless fast FX switching with rapid parameter control (maybe via increased sensitivity for parameter modification on the jog) to create super crazy fast glitch/flange/phase/delay/plugin/plugin/...etc. Wonder what that would sound like ....
Brenna Welbes
You need a registered version, so LE $???, Pro full $300, Pro basic $100, broadcaster $50 to get effects. You get a discount when upgrading from any minor version to the full version though, so buying basic or broadcastor is an investment as most of the price comes off upgrading to Pro, both don't allow external control from midi or timecode and broadcaster doesn't allow ASIO soundcard routing.

But if you want the cheapest option buy a secondhand Mixtrack Pro that hasn't had the serial upgraded, upgrade with the serial then sell the mixtrack, same story with a Hercules RMX, they both give 50% off upgrading, or you could do what I did and get a secondhand virtual vinyl system or numark cue "boxed software" and upgrade that... cost me 120$ for VV with soundcard, TC vinyl, then upgrading was only $50 WIN!...
I see. Ahh well, guess I'll just do what I can with what I got (which is a copy of VDJ Pro 7 that works as long as I keep it blocked via firewall + a torrent full of effects, although I suspect I'm missing many of the best ones, such as looproll). I can't afford to purchase VDJ at this time, though I may consider it once I see what VDJ8 can do. For now, I'm just happy to provide SOMETHING for the VCI-400 EGE users who like VDJ, because as of yet, I haven't seen a single VDJ mapping for the device posted anywhere, until I decided to post one myself. It appears I've had at least a couple takers for my mapping, so that's motivation enough for me to keep working on it. I guess what I'll do is keep mapping stuff thats native to a clean install of VDJ, and then I could always modify the FX pointers to match specific users' FX needs.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
I've asked that myself... you can quantize some things but not others but no answer from atomix on future development, although you can quantize everything in djdecks as you probably know.

You get a free upgrade as you were a djdecks user patch, I have seen the djdecks logo for a couple of users on the community , just email adion directly if you can't do it yet and I'm sure he will try to sort something out for you.

I should also mention when upgrading it doesn't matter if the LE software is registered on the community to another user, it only matters that the serial has never been upgraded. Once you upgrade you get a brand new serial that you can register in your name so you get all the upgrades and extras.
Brunilda Kora
repeat 20ms & effect "flanjet" slider 1 +1%
Interesting - but, why is it in ms? Why not sync it to the beat???

Originally Posted by synthe1c
get a secondhand virtual vinyl system or numark cue "boxed software" and upgrade that... cost me 120$ for VV with soundcard, TC vinyl, then upgrading was only $50 WIN!...
Also interesting...
Jonathan Chiuchiolo

Brenna Welbes
Excellent! So, basically, while pressed, the sliders will automate for the duration of the press. Love it.

When you register you get access to download effects ...
I'm assuming this means I have to purchase the software to (legally) download effects?
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
I say just use the same as the EG edition in traktor for consistency. When you register you get access to download effects from the community that match almost any effect in traktor with exception of transpose, iceverb, transpose, bouncer... but they can be replicated with vst's.

another script trick you can use is to automate the action of an effect slider while pressed using the "repeat" verb eg.

repeat 20ms & effect "flanjet" slider 1 +1%

the purple writing is the modifier i.e. for "repeat" the entire script after will repeat every 20 milliseconds while you have the button pressed, & each time the script is triggered the effect slider will increase by 1%.

This script is not finished as you need reset the slider to 0% with the button when you first press it, so add it before "repeat" so it doesn't happen every time the script repeats

effect "flanjet" slider 1 1% & repeat 20ms & effect "flanjet" slider 1 +1%

To finish off the script you can activate the effect while the button is held and turn off on release with "while_pressed"

effect "flanjet" active while_pressed & effect "flanjet" slider 1 1% & repeat 20ms & effect "flanjet" slider 1 +1%
Brenna Welbes
Alright guys, I need the "Top 8" press-effects that you believe should be mapped to the Gratify performance grid. Lets here your favorites!

I want to make this mapping relevant to the largest number of VDJ users. (i.e. by using effects that most have, and are likely to want mapped to the Gratify grid)

Thanks!
Ginny Fergson
I love that skin in the picture
Brunilda Kora
Groovy.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
I can't imagine something like that would be too difficult to put together after the graphics are sorted.
Brunilda Kora
It's gonna be something pretty simple looking, I hesitate to say the word, but, "Serato'ish"... 4 Deck, DVS control, with vinyl control decks A+C switchable (one button toggle by midi/key press) and the same for decks B+D. Also, instant doubles (by midi/key press) from A>B, and from B>A, and from A>C and B>D.

Still with me?
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
what did you have in mind patch?

this is the current one I'm working on, the idea revolves around having selectable colors for everything to be ready for the new generation of controllers...

but since starting that I've learned better skills with photoshop and started playing with inkscape.

Can't wait for the new skin and script sdk to find out what will be possible with adion at the wheel, and transparency will be a revelation compared to what we can do now.
Brunilda Kora
I may well be hitting you up for a custom VDJ8 skin - if VDJ8 is as bad-ass as I hope it will be! (Now that Adion is involved, that is)...
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
Ask away bro it doesn't really bother me but I do prefer the tricky ones that make me sweat for a minute before coming to a solution, but I especially love the ones that make me spend hours trying to figure it out, it's rare these days unfortunately ,

But I just started learning html and javascript for web design to bring a little excitement of learning back, and hopefully a place to make some coin selling my controllerist mappings and skins when VDJ8 gets released, definitely gonna wait until the beta is finished* as I don't want to get kicked of the vdj community for selling stuff until VDJ8's released... after that it doesn't really matter.

*hasn't started yet
Brenna Welbes

Synthet1c, I wasn't gonna plague you with my noob questions until I at least gave it a whirl myself ... since I know it can frustrate when it's obvious stuff and people just wanna use you as an instant search encyclopedia because they're too lazy to just RTFM!

For those who don't know the term: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTFM

Well, looks like you saved me some reading, yet again! Thanks broseph! I'm gonna tinker with these commands when I get home from work ... see what I can come up with.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
To jump in quantized steps use "goto +1", "goto -4", "goto +128" etc...
You can move unquantized using "goto +60000ms" that's one minute written in milliseconds.

Or if you want to get tricky you can use this to jump to a specific beat within a bar "goto_bar 1", you should note that this doesn't work as you would expect

down beat - goto_bar 4
first beat - goto_bar 1
second beat - goto_bar 2
third beat - goto_bar 3

you can make a very basic slicer using these commands and activating a roll effect like Tex_ZK's "looproll" at the same time eg
button 1
get beat_num 1 ? goto_bar 4 & down ? effect 'looproll' active on : effect 'looproll' active off : goto -4 & goto_bar 4 & down ? effect 'looproll' active on : effect 'looproll' active off

button 2
goto_bar 1 & effect 'looproll' active while_pressed

button 3
goto_bar 2 & effect 'looproll' active while_pressed

button 4
goto_bar 3 & effect 'looproll' active while_pressed

It's not great as it is limited to one bar, but I have asked that we get the script to include the ability to go to any beat within 4 bars, which would make an instant slicer. I made a better slicer that includes 8 beat selection in my midifighter mapping, but it's too complicated to explain here if you don't understand vdjscript first.
Brenna Welbes

Brenna Welbes
Glad to provide! In retrospect, some of the mappings are kinda lame, but like I said in my original post, this is my first mapping attempt so bare with me.

Next thing i'll be adding is jog nudges for manual beat matching. And I'll probably reverse slider 1 for the Jog FX.

Let me know what you guys believe this needs first and foremost!
Ginny Fergson
Cool, I just came onto check if one's available. Thanks!
Kirk Bouren
nice you did a great job i must say... its very hardwork which you did successfully be successful in future...

Thankyou for sharing this with us

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-400 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy