VCI-100 Flashing Fail - Bricked Controller

Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQ :: VCI-100 Flashing Fail - Bricked ControllerReply
VCI-100 Flashing Fail - Bricked Controller
Posted on: 09.01.2012 by Christina Violet
Hi all,

Have been scouring the community s trying to find some advice to my problem but to no avail. I bought a VCI-100 second-hand that had fw 1.1 and then got the upgrade kit. Consider myself decently tech saavy and attempted to update using a USB-Serial adapter (from Monoprice, with Prolific drivers). I've also attempted on two different computers with different ports and changing the COM and delay settings as well.

At this point, I tried to reassemble the controller and use it at the 1.1 it was previously at, but now I get no lights when turning the table on. The only way I can get them to turn on is if I hit the echo/play buttons together on both sites, which causes red lights under the jogwheels to appear.

Am I totally screwed? I am going to buy some other usb-serial adapters to try out tomorrow after work, but I have no easy access to a real serial port. Would be willing to meet up for help in either San Francisco or Los Angeles areas (in both each week).

Any tips would be appreciated, pretty bummed that I just got it and it already is dead for me.
Christina Violet
Hi all,

Have been scouring the community s trying to find some advice to my problem but to no avail. I bought a VCI-100 second-hand that had fw 1.1 and then got the upgrade kit. Consider myself decently tech saavy and attempted to update using a USB-Serial adapter (from Monoprice, with Prolific drivers). I've also attempted on two different computers with different ports and changing the COM and delay settings as well.

At this point, I tried to reassemble the controller and use it at the 1.1 it was previously at, but now I get no lights when turning the table on. The only way I can get them to turn on is if I hit the echo/play buttons together on both sites, which causes red lights under the jogwheels to appear.

Am I totally screwed? I am going to buy some other usb-serial adapters to try out tomorrow after work, but I have no easy access to a real serial port. Would be willing to meet up for help in either San Francisco or Los Angeles areas (in both each week).

Any tips would be appreciated, pretty bummed that I just got it and it already is dead for me.
Leeanna Ayla
Glad to hear you got it sorted.
Christina Violet
Thanks for the support guys. I wasn't able to find a computer around with a serial port, so I went to a few different stores and picked up 5 different USB to serial cables. Luckily, the last one worked, the Dynex from Best Buy!
Leeanna Ayla
That's not true. I did my update with a USB to serial cable on a Mac running Windows. It's a Dynex UBDB9 from Best Buy. Take it apart again and make sure the clip that you unclipped is on securely and the paper is covering everything up good. Als the screw on the back is a grounding screw so if it's not on tight that can cause some funny issues.
Wei Lebeaux
First off: DON'T PANIC!
I did the exact same thing when I got my VCI (went for the update and bricked it) and the solution is always the same. YOU MUST USE A REAL SERIAL PORT! NO USB ADAPTERS OR PORTS. PERIOD.

If you can't find someone who can flash it for you, i'd call the Tech Tools line directly; They might be able to help out if your in the area and you bring it to them physically.

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy