VCI-100 vs VCI-100SE

Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQ :: VCI-100 vs VCI-100SEReply
VCI-100 vs VCI-100SE
Posted on: 18.08.2012 by Shara Hosek
Hey all,

Complete noob here who has just joined and just delving into the world of digital mixing after clinging to my vinyl for probably far too long.

I've just managed to pick up a really cheap VCI-100 (none SE) version on eBay and just noticed now it ISN'T the SE version.

My mistake I know, but I can't seem to find any information online about the differences between the two.

Can anyone help enlighten me?

Also, i'm planning on getting the Audio 2 DJ, any other sound cards that you'd recommend over it to pair with the Vestax?

Thanks everyone!
Shara Hosek
Hey all,

Complete noob here who has just joined and just delving into the world of digital mixing after clinging to my vinyl for probably far too long.

I've just managed to pick up a really cheap VCI-100 (none SE) version on eBay and just noticed now it ISN'T the SE version.

My mistake I know, but I can't seem to find any information online about the differences between the two.

Can anyone help enlighten me?

Also, i'm planning on getting the Audio 2 DJ, any other sound cards that you'd recommend over it to pair with the Vestax?

Thanks everyone!
Shara Hosek
Luckilly I bought the VCI-100 with a serial connector / adapter thing which I was told was used for the updates so looks like i'm in luck! Thank you again so much for the information pal.
Melinda Wubben
The details are in this community post by the FW author: http://community .djranking s.com/showthr...l=1#post160905

That should really be posted as a FAQ (hellooo, moderators!) since it gets asked all the time.

Yes, it's completely possible to use the upgraded FW without the overlay. However, then you should be prepared to do your own mapping instead of using the DTJJ mappings, since some very basic functions (cue, cue/play, etc) have been moved around in the DJTT mapping/overlay. I used to use my own VCI like that for a while, before slapping on the overlay and modifying my own mapping to correspond to the new overlay.

Do note that the FW upgrade can't be done over USB. You'll need the special FW upgrade chip sold by DJTT (or source one second hand), and do a little surgery to get to the update header inside the VCI, and then do the update over a serial cable. There are very detailed instruction vids on Youtube on how to do this, though. No soldering required.
Shara Hosek
Hi DJQA, thank you for a perfect answer! Just what I needed to know.

Another question, if I may - is it possible to use the VCI-100 upgraded to 1.4 firmware without the overlay? I'm guessing the firmware has changed some of the functions of the buttons from default. Do you have any info on how they're changed?

Thanks again mate!
Melinda Wubben
The differences are in the firmware and the overlay on the controller. Both can be upgraded, making a regular VCI into an SE.

The FW upgrade to version 1.4 gives you higher resolution on the pitch faders and the jog wheels, which is definitely something you want coming from vinyl. It also changes the control messages, meaning you have to either remap the controller yourself in the DJ software, or use a mapping designed for the SE. The overlay is practical if you use one of the DJTT mappings for the SE, making the labels on the VCI match the functions in software. Decide for yourself if that's what you want to do - DTJJ mappings are definitely more controllerist oriented than the default, but include many handy functions even if you don't fancy cue point mashing.

The Audio2DJ is maybe the perfect companion to the VCI, especially as they now come with a full Traktor 2 Pro licence. Welcome to DJTT and good luck, the VCI is still a great piece of gear

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy