What are the benefits of VCI-100 Arcade Edition?

Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQ :: What are the benefits of VCI-100 Arcade Edition?Reply
What are the benefits of VCI-100 Arcade Edition?
Posted on: 20.05.2012 by Twyla Tylinski
I have an original VCI-100 silver edition which is currently gathering dust (I find it boring to look at but don't want to sell it as it's a classic). I am in the midst of transforming/pimping it into a black arcade edition by purchasing a new black overlay, black jog wheels and chroma caps but I am just gauging opinion as to whether I should turn it into an arcade edition (by making holes in the casing) or by just buying the normal overlay without arcade holes (in essence it's Arcade V4 vs Standard V4 overlays). Is having an arcade edition VCI-100 better than the normal VCI-100? Your opinions please folks.
Katelyn Hoctor
Originally Posted by nickel
I've had a believe about this and I cannot decide whether the cost to ship, the Arcade V4 overlay, 8 x arcade buttons and Value pack VCI-100 chroma caps to the UK after purchasing from the DJTT website is justifiable ($120.69 including international priority shipping to the UK or approximately
Katelyn Hoctor
I've had a believe about this and I cannot decide whether the cost to ship, the Arcade V4 overlay, 8 x arcade buttons and Value pack VCI-100 chroma caps to the UK after purchasing from the DJTT website is justifiable ($120.69 including international priority shipping to the UK or approximately
Katelyn Hoctor
Katelyn Hoctor
Katelyn Hoctor
Katelyn Hoctor
Katelyn Hoctor
Katelyn Hoctor
Katelyn Hoctor
Katelyn Hoctor
Twyla Tylinski
Katelyn Hoctor
Twyla Tylinski
Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou
i would go for an S4
What are your reasons for saying an S4?
Twyla Tylinski
Twyla Tylinski
I have an original VCI-100 silver edition which is currently gathering dust (I find it boring to look at but don't want to sell it as it's a classic). I am in the midst of transforming/pimping it into a black arcade edition by purchasing a new black overlay, black jog wheels and chroma caps but I am just gauging opinion as to whether I should turn it into an arcade edition (by making holes in the casing) or by just buying the normal overlay without arcade holes (in essence it's Arcade V4 vs Standard V4 overlays). Is having an arcade edition VCI-100 better than the normal VCI-100? Your opinions please folks.
Katelyn Hoctor
Kala Pellar
I had loan of an S4 for a while and didn't really enjoy using it, I found it sterile and it wasn't as solid as I would like. Don't get me wrong it is a solid piece of gear but I traditionally use an X1 and an extternal mixer and in comparrison to that the S4 felt too plasticy and also TOO HUGE!

I have just bought an Arcade edition VCI 100 - I am massivly excited about it.
Twyla Tylinski
I own a Kontrol x1, so would that make a difference when using a VCI-100 arcade edition? And would it be more like an S4 in this respect? I like the idea of owning an S4 as they seem to be more functional than the VCI-100 especially as shift doesn't have to be utilised as much. Four decks out the box on the S4 also seems an attractive prospect and opens up the realms to experimentation. Build quality with the S4 is a moot point, as I won't be gigging, but I appreciate the fact the VCI-100 is one durable controller.
Ned Somerset
IMO I believe a modded VCI100 with the latest firmware is better then the s4. The S4 feels too plastic for my liking. Really depends on your mixing style, If you only use two decks go with the vci100(vci100 mapping has the ability to control all four decks by changing "layers") If four deck control at all times is needed, maybe go with the S4. Im probably a little biased as I own a VCI100 arcade. I've thought about getting an S4 for awhile but couldn't come to grips with the build quality. I stayed with the vestax brand and got the vci400ege instead. No regrets. Vestax makes quality controllers.
Twyla Tylinski
For the benefit of other UK members, the Sanwa buttons are sold here:

http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk/products/OBSF-24.htm
Twyla Tylinski
Yes but would modding a VCI-100 be as good as an S4?
Ned Somerset
still way cheaper then the s4. I would do it. I still love my vci100 arcade with chroma caps. Ive jumped to the new vci400ege but the old vci100arcade still holds its place. If your comfortable enough to do the arcade button mod then do it . It might be cheaper to get the actual arcade buttons in the UK, they are SANWA OBSF-24 buttons. Im sure somebody sells them based in the UK.
Twyla Tylinski
Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou
i would go for an S4
What are your reasons for saying an S4?
Era Roka
i would go for an S4
Twyla Tylinski
Twyla Tylinski
Well. That's sold it then. I will do the upgrade to VCI-100 SE Black Arcade Edition. My next question is do I go all out and have the arcade buttons with the lights in or just normal Sanwa arcade buttons non-lighting. Looking at this it seems to be a challenging mod. However, a previous topic states the light up arcade buttons are not as good quality as the non-light up Sanwa buttons. Does anyone know if this is true?
Era Roka
yes, definitly do it. If it was posible i would cut the holes my s4 too.
Tatum Ansaldo
It's not just cosmetic, arcade buttons are much better for fast button mashing I that's what you're into. But only you can decide if it's worth it.
Twyla Tylinski
So is it worth doing the whole cutting the holes in the VCI-100 top casing or do you recommend just buying the standard v4 overlay and not defacing the case? I simply want to know if having arcade buttons adds any additional benefits or is it simply a cosmetic thing.
Tatum Ansaldo
Better? Depends if you want to play with arcade buttons really! They're nice and playable and good for cue point mashing but the hole cutting is a pain so be careful.

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy