Vci-100 1.4 (hd) firmware upgrade

Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQ :: Vci-100 1.4 (hd) firmware upgradeReply
Vci-100 1.4 (hd) firmware upgrade
Posted on: 20.09.2010 by
PURCHASE THE FIRMWARE UPGRADE KIT (WINDOWS ONLY)
http://ranking s.myshopify.com/produ...-upgrade-cable

DOWNLOAD THE FIRMWARE FILE
http://www.djranking s.com/wp-conten.../VCI1001_4.zip

DOWNLOAD THE FIRMWARE UPDATE SOFTWARE (WINDOWS)
http://america.renesas.com/support/d...dt_v405r00.jsp

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST 1.4 COMPATIBLE TSI FILE FOR TRAKOR PRO
http://www.djranking s.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/VCI-100V3_6.zip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0dcrsWWTko

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjDQmEkWBw4
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by photojojo
Give an old man a break.
There he is

IBTP!
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by fullenglishpint
photojojo did a video on this, it can only be a matter of time before he pops up here with it. It's one of his favourite things to do
Give an old man a break.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frehvs6aJjA

This won't tell you if you're on 1.3 or 1.4, but it will tell you if you're on 1.2 or not.
Tatum Ansaldo
photojojo did a video on this, it can only be a matter of time before he pops up here with it. It's one of his favourite things to do

Edit:

also, following the instructions above, see which buttons activate the LED test mode. That'll be definitive proof. However, if you're sure you have HD pitch faders, you must have 1.4 FW. There's no way of ending up with some kind of mixture, it's one or the other.
Lucile Sanita
I got arcade buttons. So that's never gonna happen .
Patty Magargle
Might be a nice idea for the next revisions to flash out the firmware version on say the cue button LEDs in test mode, major number on the left, minor on the right...

If you want to see if you have 1.4 installed try to get the vci into disco mode:

Originally Posted by DaveX
Thanks for your support guys!
Bonus #1
========

Did you know that there's a factory test mode hidden in every VCI ? It's used in the factory to test all the buttons, faders, knobs and LEDs.

With 1.4 firmware: While your VCI is off, hold RIGHT ECHO+PLAY buttons (VCI-100SE mapping) and turn it on.

With previous firmwares: While your VCI is off, hold LEFT ECHO+PLAY buttons (VCI-100SE mapping) and turn it on.

Bonus #2
========

Nobody on the dancefloor ? Boot your VCI in easter egg mode and beat the hidden game to enter the "Disco Mode" and see the crowd jumpin' in the air!!

That works only with 1.4 firmware of course, VCI will get detected by computer once Disco Mode is activated so you may use it "as usual". Hint: same trigger as factory test mode but with different buttons
Lucile Sanita
what other ways are there to check if the upgrade went well, besides the key lock button?
Because that doesn't work but i do have high ress pitch faders. I can adjust the pitch by 0.4. No clue about the jogs tho.

I sold my chip today and untill now i just figured i was on 1.4 but now i'm starting to doubt myself.

edit:
when i press both scratch / cd mode buttons my jogs leds go out.
That means i'm still in 1.1 or 1.2 right? :S
Patty Magargle
Ok just read the whole of this thread (eyes are bleeding) after updating to 1.4 yesterday. First and foremost, thanks to DJTT and everyone here for keeping this amazing controller alive and fully kickin!

Reason for this post (and the long read) was to see if anyone else has discovered the problem Iv come across toevening while playing with the new FW/TSI (3-6-4_PC) whereby, when in Fader FX mode the jog dial still has an effect on the pitch bend when held on for several seconds? I didnt see anyone report this already. Anyone any ideas how to fix this?
Patty Magargle
Originally Posted by Bunford
Does this method work fine on a 64bit Windows 7 PC? Anyone actually done it?
Did it yesterday from my Win7 x64 Ulti laptop using the nokia DKU-5 clone cable I temporarily soldered onto the back of the flash header, the same method (and same version of the flash software) I used over a year ago to flash from stock to SE!
Olene Minyard
Does this method work fine on a 64bit Windows 7 PC? Anyone actually done it?
Lenora Brunett
Hi,

I just "ean goldened" my black 1.2 VCI100 with the 1.4 firmware update, and bought the layout plate.

Everything went smooth with a serial cable to pc, and I could test it a bit with me traktor duo 1.2.4,

evidently some functions messup or do nothing, but the whole stuff is here working nicely (fx, loops, joggles...)

I noticed a strange display for the pitch faders while tweaking them on the unit, but seems to sync OK

the pitch is much better!

and I can't wait to update to PRO to use the whole nuts stuff inside !!

Thanks a lot to DJranking s to RENEW my solid VCI

cheers
Madalene Ranjan
Originally Posted by TMmafia
This is a bit scary...

I just ordered a VCI-100 Arcade Edition from this site (huge investment for me but I'm really excited) and after reading this thread and the "firmware solutions" thread I'm worried about my purchase...

I'm not really a big fan of digging through folders and replacing files and all that stuff...I really just want to DJ and play music with my new DJ Controller...

When I open up my package and plug my stuff in am I going to have to spend hours trying to "fix" it? What should I do? I hate to ask this kind of question as I'm sure when I get my controller and plug it in it will work fine but reading all of these complaints I'm a bit nervous...can someone say something re-assuring to me? Perhaps they should let you know before you spend a boatload of cash on one of these things that it requires a lot of computer hacking / troubleshooting / stuff I really don't want to do ish.... IF it actually does...should I just not install the newest mappings and what not? Does anyone have any advice for someone JUST starting to use this controller?

-Tony
It is pretty easy to install. Be sure to update Traktor immediately after you download it. Then install the TSI file and you are good to go. if you have any questions email info@djranking s.com
Augustine Weiler
Word!

Sorry to bother. I'm super excited. I got some pretty weird color scheme going on too- I'll post pictures when it comes. :-D

Thanks for the replies.
Ethelyn Vallelunga
This is a bit scary...Does anyone have any advice for someone JUST starting to use this controller?

-Tony
Yes, plug it in, install the TSI and do your thing.
It will work.

I understand your concerns but when you ordered it just a short while ago it is already updated and you will not have to read 100's of pages to find a solution.

In the meantime, look at all the instructables and videos on this website to assure a flying start when it arrives.

Have fun!
Gina Suon
Originally Posted by photojojo
I posted a link to the 1.3 firmware in this thread somewhere I believe. AFAIK nothing has changed with 1.4 in regards to multiple channels. There are others using multiple VCI's though so maybe there's a better solution.
I haven't really been paying much attention it seems... I just remembered that with one of the updates to Traktor a while back they allowed mapping of devices, regardless of the channel the device is on. So, effectively, every device has its own channel. Though, this entire thing has got me going on how to learn about programming one of these babies. I have seen a couple threads written by people that know something, but I'm completely new to it all... And I really want to learn. Where can I start??
Matha Obray
This is a bit scary...

I just ordered a VCI-100 Arcade Edition from this site (huge investment for me but I'm really excited) and after reading this thread and the "firmware solutions" thread I'm worried about my purchase...

I'm not really a big fan of digging through folders and replacing files and all that stuff...I really just want to DJ and play music with my new DJ Controller...

When I open up my package and plug my stuff in am I going to have to spend hours trying to "fix" it? What should I do? I hate to ask this kind of question as I'm sure when I get my controller and plug it in it will work fine but reading all of these complaints I'm a bit nervous...can someone say something re-assuring to me? Perhaps they should let you know before you spend a boatload of cash on one of these things that it requires a lot of computer hacking / troubleshooting / stuff I really don't want to do ish.... IF it actually does...should I just not install the newest mappings and what not? Does anyone have any advice for someone JUST starting to use this controller?

-Tony
Yes ur vci will plug up and work right away.
Augustine Weiler
This is a bit scary...

-Tony
daniel vahey
Originally Posted by oquela
Hey Language,
I'm a mac user too, and did it via Vmware Fusion and xp, and a usb adapter. It worked fine.

First, you seem to have the Renasas opened twice on your screenshot. maybe this is it?

Second, this week, there seemed to be some glitch on the djtt site, so maybe you didn't get the right software/files. Dump everything, and start from scratch just to make sure.
Third, dont buy a pc (even a cheap one) for this. It isn't worth the price. If you have to return your friend's pc loaner, get yourself a usb adapter that will connect to the firmware adapter.

Let us know how you're doing.
Hey oquela
Thanks for the comment. I don't have access to a PC anymore as my friend moved. I'm totally not going to buy one to do this either.
I'm going to try and use bootcamp but need to get a download copy of windows to install first, I believe I can one and a copy of mac parallels too, I don't have time to do it right now, but will keep posted if I have any more difficulty.. I'm going to try and look for a USB to serial cable this weekend.
I hope to be up and running soon, can't wait to use 4 deck & juggle, sampler & Fx in a set
Cheers
Leeanna Ayla
I posted a link to the 1.3 firmware in this thread somewhere I believe. AFAIK nothing has changed with 1.4 in regards to multiple channels. There are others using multiple VCI's though so maybe there's a better solution.
Gina Suon
So, I need to do a downgrade.... But before I do, I need to know: does FW1.3 use multiple channels on boot like FW1.4? Running more than one VCI is very tricky if channel messages overlap... Does anyone happen to have a backup of FW1.2 and 1.3?
DjMAX MONTANA
Originally Posted by Language
I just got my Firmware chip in the mail today and was stoked!!
I cant wait to be using the new 1.4 version for my VCI and slapping on my also new VCI 100 SE DJranking s overlays but had some problems with installation.

#1, I'm a Mac, user, don't know much about PC shit, but was using a friend's PC at my place.
I downloaded the software from the links on DJTT but no luck at opening them or getting them running on the PC.

I couldn't even get the (mot file) (VCI 100 DaveX) to open in the program development tool kit.
I got through all the steps in the video and removed all the backing and used a serial to serial cable like recommended but when step 11 was shown I didn't even have that screen in the menu.

I'm positive the PC was running windows XP and not sure why I couldn't view the same screen as shown in the video. I could only access this step in my attempt and took a screen shot to capture my frustration.

Any advise or assistance will be very appreciated, I only have use of a PC for a few days and will then have to look at either trying another cable, or a serial to usb, trying it through boot camp for MAC, or the last staw spending the $$$ for a second hand PC just to make another attempt.
Help me please!!!
View the Attachment ----> Microsoft word file
Hey Language,
I'm a mac user too, and did it via Vmware Fusion and xp, and a usb adapter. It worked fine.

First, you seem to have the Renasas opened twice on your screenshot. maybe this is it?

Second, this week, there seemed to be some glitch on the djtt site, so maybe you didn't get the right software/files. Dump everything, and start from scratch just to make sure.
Third, dont buy a pc (even a cheap one) for this. It isn't worth the price. If you have to return your friend's pc loaner, get yourself a usb adapter that will connect to the firmware adapter.

Let us know how you're doing.
Ethelyn Vallelunga
I also noticed when in FX 2 (or others) fooling around a bit... go back to FX 1
gives me 5% - 20% more volume.

"not happy" does not really describe my mood at this time
Ethelyn Vallelunga
Yesterday I installed to 1.4 FW.

If I read here before I would not have done it.

Now I need a fix for pops and hisses when playing with FX
Why is the glitch fix not automatically added as before?

now I have a crap sounding VCI which I can not use at gigs.
Leeanna Ayla
Originally Posted by dead_devil_66
hmm why isn't any staff of djtt answering in here?
Actually the DJTT staff don't get on here very much. It's mostly just manned by community members that like helping people.

Do you not get the device selection screen at all? Double check that the VCI is off (switch in the center) when you run the software. Are you positive you're running the basic version? Are you starting the program by clicking start>programs>Renases and then the basic version? I ask this because it could be possible that a desktop shortcut was created to the wrong version if that's how you're starting the program.

If you sure you're are running the basic version try uninstalling the program by going to start>control panel>add remove programs and then installing it again.

Originally Posted by Language
Ya it says file loaded but no options for anything came up in the workspace.
I had nowhere to add my cable type, crystal speed ect..
This screen was the only thing I could access. I'm going to try to do it again using bootcamp, and a serial - usb cable and see if I get anything that way.
I did mine in Bootcamp. Let us know how it goes.
Towanda Rayment
hmm why isn't any staff of djtt answering in here?
daniel vahey
it says file loaded...
Ya it says file loaded but no options for anything came up in the workspace.
I had nowhere to add my cable type, crystal speed ect..
This screen was the only thing I could access. I'm going to try to do it again using bootcamp, and a serial - usb cable and see if I get anything that way.
Towanda Rayment
it says file loaded...
daniel vahey
I just got my Firmware chip in the mail today and was stoked!!
I cant wait to be using the new 1.4 version for my VCI and slapping on my also new VCI 100 SE DJranking s overlays but had some problems with installation.

#1, I'm a Mac, user, don't know much about PC shit, but was using a friend's PC at my place.
I downloaded the software from the links on DJTT but no luck at opening them or getting them running on the PC.

I couldn't even get the (mot file) (VCI 100 DaveX) to open in the program development tool kit.
I got through all the steps in the video and removed all the backing and used a serial to serial cable like recommended but when step 11 was shown I didn't even have that screen in the menu.

I'm positive the PC was running windows XP and not sure why I couldn't view the same screen as shown in the video. I could only access this step in my attempt and took a screen shot to capture my frustration.

Any advise or assistance will be very appreciated, I only have use of a PC for a few days and will then have to look at either trying another cable, or a serial to usb, trying it through boot camp for MAC, or the last staw spending the $$$ for a second hand PC just to make another attempt.
Help me please!!!
View the Attachment ----> Microsoft word file
Towanda Rayment
so...no one???
Rolanda Bosiacki
is there anyway of doing this upgrade in linux? more precisely, in ubuntu.
Iirc, I've seen a discussion over on ubuntucommunity s.org on flashing/programming certain Renesas microcontrollers. But I know way too little about this to give any more concrete advice.

Me believes someone here might be able to tell you what exact chip Vestax uses in the VCI. Then you can ask on a community more specialized in Linux and/or development for embedded devices about how to carry out the flashing. Probably you'd save time if you used someone else's Windows box instead. EDIT: Or perhaps someone knows if wine runs the Renesas toolkit (I doubt it, though).
Towanda Rayment
is there anyway of doing this upgrade in linux? more precisely, in ubuntu.
Jodi Lacerra
Originally Posted by armyofme4340
Can I upgrade from 1.3 to 1.4 without having to upgrade tsi's.

I have mine tweak quite a bit from eans, and the thought of having to start over is dreadful.

I really just want better res jogs.
Look at the last page of the PDF walkthrough that is included in the download zip file. It shows what Midi commands have changed in the VCI-100 FW1.4. That should be all you need to remap the controls on your existing custom mapping.
Jodi Lacerra
Originally Posted by mycathasrabies
Can't find any old stock mappings with the res upgrades and I can't figure out how to map it myself. I'm mapping it off the most recent mapping and it isn't the same CC notes plus the jogs move way too fast.

Help me
I posted a stripped down version of the VCI-100SE mapping for FW1.4 that has only the very basic controls that can be used as a template (to build your own mapping) here: http://djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=21391
Lizeth Jaya
Can't find any old stock mappings with the res upgrades and I can't figure out how to map it myself. I'm mapping it off the most recent mapping and it isn't the same CC notes plus the jogs move way too fast.

Help me
Leeanna Ayla
As far as I know no one has uploaded a tsi that's just go the hi res stuff on it. You would still have to delete the jog stuff out of your current mapping for them to not interfere though. This thread tells what you need to do to take advantage of it.

http://djranking s.com/community /showthr...light=firmware
Lizeth Jaya
Originally Posted by agdadred
Is there a way i can get a stock 1.4 firmware tsi with only the high res jog wheels and pitch fader updates to build from?
I don't want to sit and delete a thousand mappings either, could someone please upload a tsi?
Barabara Piampiano
Is there a way i can get a stock 1.4 firmware tsi with only the high res jog wheels and pitch fader updates to build from?
Leeanna Ayla

I have mine tweak quite a bit from eans, and the thought of having to start over is dreadful.

Yeah you'll just have to map the jogs yourself to get the hi-res capabilities. You should be able to figure out what you need out of the 3.6.4 mapping.
Doug Bieling

Think you will just have to remap the pitch and jog controls ... everything else will be the same ... i believe.
Joannie Brague

September Crocitto
Quick question.
Upgraded my vci with the firmware, it didn't work as good as i hoped, so i re-flashed it. It works now, but the shift button led does not liht up and so don't the loop/2 buttons in normal mode. But in disco mode, they all work

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy