Protective Case for MF Spectra

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: Protective Case for MF SpectraReply
Protective Case for MF Spectra
Posted on: 30.10.2013 by Efrain Scharr
Since I have spent about 72 hours scouring the internet for a good fitting case for the MF Spectra, I have come to the conclusion I will really need to construct something to fit it well and still not take up too much space. Below I will out line some of what I went through, possible things that would work, and where I am at right now with what I am going to make.

Possible Ready Fit Cases

1. Mac Mini Case - This would actually be the best fitting case, problem is there is really nothing out there anymore. Most people don't carry around their Mac Mini since MBP's are so cheap now. It seems as though there is one company left making a sleeve for the Mac Mini, but its just a sleeve and offers no hard protection with the sleeve. Targus used to make one, but it is nearly impossible to track one down. There were one or two others, and again they were all out of production...

2. Portable DVD Player Case - While there were some nice options out there they all were too big. Case Logic made a nice one, but the outer dimensions were in excess of 10". Others were still 8-9"+ in size. I travel a lot for gigs and need to fit this into my gig bag, so I wanted to reduce the amount of space, and that was one reason I got a MF in the first place.

3. Portable Hard Drive Case - I couldn't find one big enough.

4. Camera Case - While the SLR cases are nice and offer great padding, not too many are hard on the outside and small. They are either huge and have a hard exterior, or they are small with a soft exterior. And none of the smaller ones had a great proportional inside to fit the MF Specrta.

5. Portable Optical Drive Case - None had the depth needed for the MF.

6. CD/DVDs Case - I tried one of these Vaultz Locking CD Wallet and while the dimensions outlined on Amazon make it seem like it should fit, it doesn't. The dimensions on Amazon are not accurate, not even close really.

7. Pelican Type Case - None have dimensions to fit the MF. While I could have one custom made I feel it would be quite expensive.

Building My Own

So I am now in the prototype stages of building/constructing a case to use, be it temporary or long term. I don't feel a case should have to cost over $40, unless each were being built by hand, which is why I wouldn't buy one of the Crane ones that I saw.

Temporary Case #1
I did some research and found that Tupperware Modular Mates
Efrain Scharr
Since I have spent about 72 hours scouring the internet for a good fitting case for the MF Spectra, I have come to the conclusion I will really need to construct something to fit it well and still not take up too much space. Below I will out line some of what I went through, possible things that would work, and where I am at right now with what I am going to make.

Possible Ready Fit Cases

1. Mac Mini Case - This would actually be the best fitting case, problem is there is really nothing out there anymore. Most people don't carry around their Mac Mini since MBP's are so cheap now. It seems as though there is one company left making a sleeve for the Mac Mini, but its just a sleeve and offers no hard protection with the sleeve. Targus used to make one, but it is nearly impossible to track one down. There were one or two others, and again they were all out of production...

2. Portable DVD Player Case - While there were some nice options out there they all were too big. Case Logic made a nice one, but the outer dimensions were in excess of 10". Others were still 8-9"+ in size. I travel a lot for gigs and need to fit this into my gig bag, so I wanted to reduce the amount of space, and that was one reason I got a MF in the first place.

4. Camera Case - While the SLR cases are nice and offer great padding, not too many are hard on the outside and small. They are either huge and have a hard exterior, or they are small with a soft exterior. And none of the smaller ones had a great proportional inside to fit the MF Specrta.

6. CD/DVDs Case - I tried one of these Vaultz Locking CD Wallet and while the dimensions outlined on Amazon make it seem like it should fit, it doesn't. The dimensions on Amazon are not accurate, not even close really.

7. Pelican Type Case - None have dimensions to fit the MF. While I could have one custom made I feel it would be quite expensive.

Building My Own

So I am now in the prototype stages of building/constructing a case to use, be it temporary or long term. I don't feel a case should have to cost over $40, unless each were being built by hand, which is why I wouldn't buy one of the Crane ones that I saw.

Temporary Case #1
Efrain Scharr

Possible Ready Fit Cases

Building My Own

Temporary Case #1
Efrain Scharr

Possible Ready Fit Cases

Building My Own

Temporary Case #1
Efrain Scharr

Possible Ready Fit Cases

Building My Own

Temporary Case #1
Efrain Scharr

Possible Ready Fit Cases

Building My Own

Temporary Case #1
Efrain Scharr

Possible Ready Fit Cases

Building My Own

Temporary Case #1
Efrain Scharr

Possible Ready Fit Cases

Building My Own

Temporary Case #1
Efrain Scharr

Possible Ready Fit Cases

Building My Own

Temporary Case #1
Efrain Scharr

Possible Ready Fit Cases

Building My Own

Temporary Case #1
Efrain Scharr

Possible Ready Fit Cases

Building My Own

Temporary Case #1
Efrain Scharr

Possible Ready Fit Cases

Building My Own

Temporary Case #1
Efrain Scharr

Possible Ready Fit Cases

Building My Own

Temporary Case #1
Efrain Scharr

Possible Ready Fit Cases

Building My Own

Temporary Case #1
Efrain Scharr
Originally Posted by Jester
Cool! I am just using a 2 x 24 CD wallet for mine at the moment. Holds 1 MF , USB cable etc. Not ideal but better than nothing.
Yeah, I have one of those thich I could use. A nice Korg one actually that I got when I purchased their Legacy Analogue VST pack years ago... but again this will take up a ton of real estate in my bag. Right now my Mono Bag is packed tight with MBP, Maschine Mikro, Audio 8, X1, and now the MF Spectra (previously an F1)... All cables are in the outside pockets. Anyhow, I feel this will make it fit pretty nicely. I suppose we will see. Curious to how the MF will fair through customs since it looks like something used to trigger explosives. lol
Efrain Scharr

Possible Ready Fit Cases

Building My Own

Temporary Case #1
Klara Kinnebrew
I actually talked to 2 seperate companys and got into the intitial concept and design stage to build a nice one. All american made with high quality material. Then DJTT sounded like they were in the process of developing one about 6 months ago (there is a thread on it somewhere) so I complelty stopped. I didnt want to step on any toes of what I believe to be a great company. I wonder if this process ever got any further with them?
Irwin Ney
I'm subscribed
If you guys find anything good for casing please share it
Efrain Scharr
Originally Posted by Jester
Cool! I am just using a 2 x 24 CD wallet for mine at the moment. Holds 1 MF , USB cable etc. Not ideal but better than nothing.
Yeah, I have one of those thich I could use. A nice Korg one actually that I got when I purchased their Legacy Analogue VST pack years ago... but again this will take up a ton of real estate in my bag. Right now my Mono Bag is packed tight with MBP, Maschine Mikro, Audio 8, X1, and now the MF Spectra (previously an F1)... All cables are in the outside pockets. Anyhow, I feel this will make it fit pretty nicely. I suppose we will see. Curious to how the MF will fair through customs since it looks like something used to trigger explosives. lol
Latoria Kavulich
Efrain Scharr
Reserved for pics and sh!t...

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy