CDJ 2000 How to!

CDJ 2000 How to!
Posted on: 29.10.2013 by Henrietta Dortch
Hey Guys!

So I've been producing for years and DJ'ing locally, and i recently booked a great gig opening for White Panda at Necto, Ann Arbor, Michigan. I'm a Traktor DJ, but I've been reading that the headline act prefers you use the CDJ's so you don't have anything to tear down, and right now i'm awaiting a new Audio 10, and might not have it in time.
I have a little experience with Numark NDX 400's, and was mixing seamlessly with them when i had them for a few weeks. My question is, are there any resources for how to use CDJ 2000's i should use? Or do i even need them? I'm more than good at beat matching, i have good mixing techniques, i'm just nervous about the interface. T

Thanks so much!
Armando Waithour
i agree with loopcat.

don
Armando Waithour
i agree with loopcat.

don
Armando Waithour
i agree with loopcat.

don
Armando Waithour
i agree with loopcat.

don
Armando Waithour
i agree with loopcat.

don
Armando Waithour
i agree with loopcat.

don
Armando Waithour
i agree with loopcat.

don
Armando Waithour
i agree with loopcat.

don
Armando Waithour
i agree with loopcat.

don
Armando Waithour
i agree with loopcat.

don
Armando Waithour
i agree with loopcat.

don
Armando Waithour
i agree with loopcat.

don
Armando Waithour
i agree with loopcat.

don
Armando Waithour
i agree with loopcat.

don
Armando Waithour
i agree with loopcat.

don
Hank Guidas
Originally Posted by Kaek
Just read the manual. Easy.
This. You can probably find a .pdf with it on pioneers website. http://pioneerdj.com/support/files/DRB1474C.pdf
Monroe Vandeslunt
Originally Posted by sphilibin
My question is, are there any resources for how to use CDJ 2000's i should use? Or do i even need them? I'm more than good at beat matching, i have good mixing techniques, i'm just nervous about the interface.
Henrietta Dortch
Hey Guys!

So I've been producing for years and DJ'ing locally, and i recently booked a great gig opening for White Panda at Necto, Ann Arbor, Michigan. I'm a Traktor DJ, but I've been reading that the headline act prefers you use the CDJ's so you don't have anything to tear down, and right now i'm awaiting a new Audio 10, and might not have it in time.
I have a little experience with Numark NDX 400's, and was mixing seamlessly with them when i had them for a few weeks. My question is, are there any resources for how to use CDJ 2000's i should use? Or do i even need them? I'm more than good at beat matching, i have good mixing techniques, i'm just nervous about the interface. T

Thanks so much!
Henrietta Dortch
Thanks for all the advice guys. I was able to just go direct into the DJM 900, but i will definitely use all this info on the future. i familiarized myself a bit with the 2000's and would feel confident using them live. Thanks
Meridith Betsinger
Beyond reading the manual, looking at videos, there's not much you can do before hand.

Pressing the link button on the second cdj will read the files off the first cdj

HOWEVER, do try and use Rekordbox, even if you don't end up using it for preparing the tracks(which would be a mistake ... ) or for using live with the cdjs .
Using the program gives you a decent feel of what the cdjs "feel" like. Just practice a little bit using your keyboard, get a feel about how to set the cue point and play, loops and hot cues.

The usb folder scrolling on cdjs (on the 350, 900 and 2000 the ones I've tried so far) is incredibly fluid, even when using it with a small 350 screen.

Now why use rekordbox? Playlists! Make a couple ahead of time, and pick between them or however you're used to playing.
Don't forget that with rekordbox, the software analyses your tracks, you do whatever work you want on them (grid, cues, loops as you wish) and then the rekordboxed tracks get exported to your usb drive; it never actually modifies the original files! It must handle the export directly.
Armando Waithour
i agree with loopcat.

don
Ming Devis
I wouldn't use hid mode unless I was familiar with the rig or had time to have a test run. Allot of CDJ's in clubs are still on the old firmware. Do you know anyone who has a set of cdj's of any kind? If you have a go on a pair of them you will have it down pat in a mix. That being said you could wing it pretty easy as well as long as you can beat match.
Hank Guidas
I've mostly played on 2000's at gigs and it's really easy. I've never used recordbox, because I dont have pioneer at home. Just brought usb keys with my tracks. Just plug in, choose usb (next to the screen) and browse tracks. It's that simple
Henrietta Dortch
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I guess I'm pretty confident in mixing, i'm more concerned about like, track preparation, and using the interface? Should i be familiarizing or using rekordbox? Or will i be good to load an go?
Not too fond of using HID, only because i believe computers can be kind of unpredictable, and if i can just use the CDJ's, i don't wanna force the issue with my computer.
Ashanti Andreacchio
Why not just use them in HID mode connect 2 USB cables to your computer, read the manual everything on the CDJ's will work the same in Traktor as if you were using them with a USB stick.
Read how to set them as sounds cards for Traktor on mac you need to aggregate them into one sound card. This way you could even just leave you laptop in the booth after you finished or only need to disconnect the 2 USB cables. I've done this several time lately though I've done it using Cross.
Palma Hanslip
Or Youtube CDJ2000 walk through and you will see how easy it is.

Good luck.
Hank Guidas
Originally Posted by Kaek
This. You can probably find a .pdf with it on pioneers website. http://pioneerdj.com/support/files/DRB1474C.pdf
Tesha Freudenstein
the basics are pretty simple.

play button -> pretty obvious

cue button -> plays the track as long as you hold it down. when released it jumps back to the point where it started. can be used to set a cue when holding down the plattern and pressing the button. the track will now start from that point

jog mode

CD: the whole jogwheel can be used to pitchbend. no vinyl control.
vinyl: the sides of the jogwheel are used for pitchbending. when pressing down on the top of the plattern it will behave like a record.

i personally always stick to vinyl mode

pitch range

the 2000s have variable pitch range. the stock setting is +/- 10%. other settings are +/- 6%, 16% and 100% (WIDE mode). they can be switched with the tempo button. the active pitchrange is displayed on screen.

master tempo

master tempo = key lock.

for everything else such as browsing, looping etc.: there are plenty pioneer tutorials on youtube.
Monroe Vandeslunt
Originally Posted by sphilibin
My question is, are there any resources for how to use CDJ 2000's i should use? Or do i even need them? I'm more than good at beat matching, i have good mixing techniques, i'm just nervous about the interface.
Hank Guidas
It's as easy as any other player. Plug in usb, choose folder, choose track, press play

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy