Posted on: 07.02.2013 by Mora Sobieck
Pretty basic.

2 x tech 1200
Hand built fully analog rotary mixer
5 inch monitors + ghetto speaker stand
Vinyl only

Mora Sobieck
Originally Posted by mdcdesign
Anyone else wondering how the hell you can mix without per-channel EQs?
The biggest tip I can offer is to know your tunes well!
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by Kwal
Skill
Backspins :P
Hellen Mindrup
Skill
Janyce Henningson
Originally Posted by Neil Oughton
I second all the comments - Mixer is superb!
Agreed, gorgeous mixer
Mora Sobieck
Cheers mate! I love it very much
Mora Sobieck
Originally Posted by LoopCat
Oh man I want to have a spin on one of those rotarys so bad.
It's pretty damn fun! (and addictive)
Mora Sobieck
The biggest tip I can offer is to know your tunes well!
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by Kwal
Skill
Backspins :P
Hellen Mindrup
Skill
Harvey Mcintyre
Really love the mixer....totally my style with the wooden sides...
Ming Devis
My friends getting one of these in a few weeks. Going to try one out and see if I dig it, I really like the basic but high quality style of these rotaries.
Doreen Schurle
Janyce Henningson
Agreed, gorgeous mixer
Mora Sobieck
Cheers mate! I love it very much
Clelia Roquet
Mora Sobieck
Originally Posted by LoopCat
It's pretty damn fun! (and addictive)
Ming Devis
Hellen Mindrup
Sick lol
Mora Sobieck
New house = New rig!

Mora Sobieck
Yeah basically the idea is to mix with volume only and no EQ, that being said it has a 2 band EQ on the master so you can drop the low end if you're really struggling in the mix or the tunes are really clashing. To be honest rotaries with no EQ serve certain genres much better than others I.e deep house with its usually smooth and subtle production rather than say breaks or electro with can be brash and upfront meaning much more EQing is required to stop tracks from ruining each other haha.

The smoothness and linearity of the rotaries do make it far easier to mix with no EQ than you'd imagine e.g mixing with no EQ on this is most like going to sound better than if you tried mixing on say a DJM with its log curved line faders.
Ming Devis
If someone can explain to me if/how you can add 'per channel' isolators or eq's to this that would be sweet. I'm still trying to figure these things out. Am I right to believe that most people who use them don't use eq's at all or they have an isolator that effects the master output not individual channels?
Mora Sobieck
Originally Posted by Jester
i would swap out mine for one of those badboys in a heartbeat
Haha dooo eeet!! I'm sure if you sell a couple pieces of gear that'd cover the cost
Latoria Kavulich
i would swap out mine for one of those badboys in a heartbeat
Mora Sobieck
Well yeah, those mixers are fully digital with incredible features and that's really what you're paying for, effects, soundcard, an LCD screen, great versatility etc

Whilst the mixer I posted is of comparable cost to the big boys yet it lacks pretty much any features haha, no effects, no soundcard, not even EQ. So what you're paying for with this mixer is fully analog construction and super high quality components like the pots, level meters and timber case. That's what gives it a better feel and sound in my opinion, but I guess that's a trade off for the lack of features.
Pam Stolley
Originally Posted by gilly
-The incredible sound (sounds very fat, haven't had the chance to test it on a big system but I imagine the low end will be mind blowing)
-How loud it is (I literally turned my monitors down 80% compared to what they were running through my old Allen & Heath

Of course it has none of the incredible features that are on DJM mixers like effects or built in soundcard, but in terms of feel and sound I believe it blows them out of the water.
given how expensive those mixers are, how can this one be so much better? is that giant price tag just for effects and soundcards?
Random X
[..]

Now if only prog breaks would make a comeback haha! (even though i'm rubbish at mixing breaks)
This is what dragged me into it. Progressive breaks was the finest. And mixing breaks, it will be fine when you realize the trick behind it.
Shan Bauerly
Prog was the 1st modern evolution, and, I believe the purist. Thanks for caring enough to find it.
Mora Sobieck
Haha yeah and it's the same reason i'm constantly looking for old DJ's in my area who are selling their collection, so many gems to be had for peanuts!

I definitely believe prog is back on the right path however, with guys like Guy J and Henry Saiz pushing the envelope (albeit a slightly different sound), not too mention Sasha's incoming Involv3r

Now if only prog breaks would make a comeback haha! (even though i'm rubbish at mixing breaks)

Random X
I agree to the fullest with that one Gilly.

One of the reasons I stopped spinning progressive!
Mora Sobieck
Originally Posted by bluegrassdj
isn't this more deep house/minimal/ambient? cause these days when people talk progressive house they usually refer to stuff like this
That's what beatport calls progressive these days I suppose, I don't want to make anyone angry but I believe tunes like that are just uptempo pop tunes written to a formula to please the masses. To be fair the track I posted was a down tempo prog track (great opener haha) but it comes from the heyday of prog music in the late 90's till early 00's.

Again this is all just my opinion and I'm not trying to force it on anyone (though I really must recommend the "northern exposure" mix cd from Sasha and Digweed which I drew the track from)
Pam Stolley
Amen!!

This is one of my most prized records

Also managed to pick up a Bedrock Records release #100 limited edition, signed by John Digweed, Henry Saiz and Guy J. One of only 10 released worldwide!
isn't this more deep house/minimal/ambient? cause these days when people talk progressive house they usually refer to stuff like this

Shan Bauerly
Great choice.
Mora Sobieck
Yup exactly, it's just a case of knowing your tunes well so you don't get any major bassline or chord clashes etc, I.e. mixing during the breakdown of a track or something similar.

It has got a 2 band EQ on the master out so you can avoid bass clashes and sub overload if necessary.

The beauty of a rotary mixer is the smoothness of the dials and linearity of the volune curve, they really allow very fine level adjustment. It might sound weird, but using rotaries you feel like you can kind of mould the tracks together with just the use of volume.
Nereida Jasnoch
How do you mix with that mixer actually ?
Just increase and decrease phono 1 & 2 as if they were line faders or what ?
Random X
Amen!!

Also managed to pick up a Bedrock Records release #100 limited edition, signed by John Digweed, Henry Saiz and Guy J. One of only 10 released worldwide!
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!
Rena Estabrook
Full of win
Mora Sobieck
Originally Posted by tekki
(Some of)The best progressive releases are on vinyl.
Amen!!

Mora Sobieck
Originally Posted by Jester
how much if you don't mind me asking?
I don't mind, but I know the creators like to keep it kind of under wraps and let customers know personally.

Lets just say it's less than the DJM-900/2000, Xone 92/DB4/DB2 etc

If you message them through their facebook page they'll be more than happy to provide an exact price
Random X
Originally Posted by bluegrassdj
there's progressive house on vinyl?
(Some of)The best progressive releases are on vinyl.
Latoria Kavulich
how much if you don't mind me asking?

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy