the spade setup

the spade setup
Posted on: 20.05.2012 by Corie Murtagh
Heres my dj/ producer / home theater av rack / table

you can also check out my build thread for the rest of my home theater over at htguide. hifi speakers included
here is the link

http://www.htguide.com/community /showthr...925#post543925

This build is all about saving space!

the top section is a two man lift and ment to be carried in a truck. most of my time i just mess around at home so thats okay for me.

here is the final result.. so far the table isn't actually done yet. its supposed to have a slide out desk and a glass case around the record slots. ill post pictures when its all done haha can't wait

and here is the timeline of work!

The frame

Its one of the Slot boxes to hold records

The top table section is removable From the base to take the trip to parties. Pritty heavy though. definatly 2 person lift

Here is the frame bars that im going to sand down smoother with my belt sander and then fiberglass over and bondo. The corners of this table are too sharp to just bend a piece over unless i had really thin plywood. But i need them to be durable so im using 1/4 inch

Upside down bottom portion of the table with the av rack frame installed.

The tables feet

The inside corners were pritty rough so i had to hand sand them with this home made sanding block as none of my power sanders could get an inside corner like that since they are flat.

Here i am sanding an inside corner

Installed the light sockets and wires in the table today Going to use floresecent bulbes from the home depot. And once i get things sanded better im going to install a glass plate so they are flush mounted.

As you can see the tables got legs that retract for when its on the bottom base. I had to cut and then re weld them. because my table was too narrow and wanted them to be flush when retracted.

This was before i did any of the fiberglass / bondo work so the light is bleeding through the corners

All primed up and ready to go !

Update 20120429 finished the paint!
and
Loaded the decks

Glamour shot haha

Bottom frame

Check out my Rack!!! Haha always wanted to say that.
From top to bottom:
My Customac mac Running OS X for plex, with amd 6870 grafics, core i7 2600k, 16gb of ram, and 6 drive bays with 2 filled for 4tb total. Then it's my pioneer vsx 53, crown xti 2000 for subwoofer amplification, and my ps3 for bluray movies and games.

Oh naw it's got ricer lightes haha. In the picture they look kinda pink which is not what I'm going for. But in person the lights look red. So my camera sucks.

edit 20121106 haha got a better camera Eos 7d actually with a super awesome deal on it like $700 shipped

the slots are for records The little square hole inbetween the record slots is for a removable brace to Hold the records upright better when I get more vinyl. I'll post new pics when I finish them. the actual records will eventually be encased in glass

The legs folded up

The top includes two original black technics 1200, a denon mc 6000, and the maschine all wrapped up with an audio 8 inside.

24'' apple cinema display

new barstools!!! 8)

the new door to the AV rack

all together see i told you its red light

mega sub update 20121106

just got back from overseas

and built this! thought id share on here

btw its the tuba ht low profile sub from bill fitzmaurice.
it can get so loud it will shake the entire house, and i mean everything all your dishes rattling, windows flexing back and forth kinda stuff!
haha i don't turn it up that loud all the time just to see what it can do you know. actually i only did it once for like 5 min. needless to say i received a noise complaint the first time i did it from my next door neighbor (our houses are attached, she is cool though.) haha she said she almost thought it was some kinda earth quake at first, her house was shaking too

anyways heres some pics on the build process haven't finished painting it yet. its still in the primer stage.

this is the inside. its a horn sub

did some upholstery work on it.
man black leather is crazy hard to upholster with, haha well i am a beginner. this is when it wasn't that tight yet

update 20121111 all finished and painted

thought you guys might like this too. this is how i came up with the idea for the dj desk. i was bored one day drawing some abstract art and well this is what came out of that drawing. this is a old pic of my coffee table. once i get my new couch in I'm going to re paint it and cover the black with black leather instead to match things better.

oh and here are some pics of my main speakers. they are a tritrix build from parts express. they are pretty nice and sound great. but not quite audiophile quality. so I'm building new ones as we speak. they are going to be the statements. I'm building two mains center and two monitors for my dj desk. apparently they sound better or as good as most line arrays. which is what i originally wanted.

Wilford Aarts
Very sexy! I love the BFM tuba in the bench. Putting the mouth in the corner probably lowers your cutoff freq a little too. Altogether, excellent execution with high WAF!
Corie Murtagh
its been a wile.
check out my new MIDI mapping for Ableton live and Ms Pinky!

https://maps.djranking s.com/mappings/2406
Chas Pulley
This is the best DJ Desk i
Alphonse Hack
Absolutely fantastic! How long did it take you from conceptualization to completion? Sorry if you have already answered this.
Riva Ishiyama
Wow i must say that looks absolutely amazing. Thinking about doing something like this myself once I get some more money in my pockets. But wow man i'm very impressed.
Doreen Schurle
Holy fucking shit... gotta be the best build I've ever seen :O
Marci Pavloff
I Think I'm in Love! Amazing Setup...
Rupert Maggiano
Woooowwwww this is some sick furniture. Really Nice work.
Corie Murtagh
ya tried the dt 770 on at b&H they are plasticy and sound like muddy boomy crap compared to my t70p. plus the cups are about a 1/4" thicker doesn't seem like much but its a noticeable difference. and the headband feels cheep too. but anyways you get what you pay for. and i wanted the best so 445 on a pair of headphones isn't too bad at all if they will last forever and sound amazing.
Edwina Fagel
Did you try the DT-770? I wouldn't be so harsh on the quality of Beyerdynamics.
Nice cups anyway.
Corie Murtagh
update 20121111 finished painting the sub and had a epic party with it yesterday!

oh and btw i love my new headphones. total audiophile quality. except for the short cable(only 1.3 m long). but thats okay I'm going to re cable them soon with a longer one. the quality for listening to music is freakin awesome! your defiantly never ever going to find a better dj headphone than these, if you can look past the short cable. i wouldn't buy any of beyerdynamics other headphones cause they feel like crap except for the T1 (but those are not a closed back design and are super expensive). but these are awesome. super flexible too. so it doesn't matter that they are not rotating cups.

Erich Vallabhaneni
great work man, this thing is a work of beauty.
Chas Pulley
This is the best DJ Desk i
Corie Murtagh
just got back from overseas... with an update! 20121106
Sylvia Greener
This is awesome!
Francie Gindin
Well done!
Kandi Odom
I just had an orgasm!!!!!
Clemmie Peton
That looks awesome, if you plan on building another one buy one of those bondo shapers that looks like a cheeze grater and use that on the bondo before its completely dry, it will save you a ton of sanding time.
Stefania Herb
holy ill nana sickness... if i had the time the space and the misses didnt care id fancy havin a go at something like that... big ups... and the portabiltiy factor is sick... im lovin the removable top ! ! !
Tonisha Ehrlichman
Dude. That is awesome. That is what Im talking about. Customizing your own Sh**. Looks great. Big up.....
Ira Alsadi
Fantastic build. Great work.
Fidelia Messing
inspiring, feel like i need to build something now.
Patty Mcgilbra
holy shit that thing is amazing!
Birgit Gondal
absolutely gorgeous work mate, these types of builds make me excited for my build, and give me lots of ideas, like the bondo idea is a cracker!
Erica Charvet
Very nice work.
Corie Murtagh
big thanks to everyone who has said thanks already! you guys made my day!
Corie Murtagh
ya it won't be two hard to repaint the top real quick though. ill just be able to brush on some black lacquer paint and spray another clear coat onto it and it will look just as shiny as before. this lacquer paint melts right into the old layer of paint.
Dannielle Dingey
Originally Posted by spadenation
ya johnny ive made the table sorta "remold able" where the controller is just incase i wanted a different mixer. but i am going to have to cut through my poor piano black finish to do it
I was afraid of that...still great booth !
Corie Murtagh
ya johnny ive made the table sorta "remold able" where the controller is just incase i wanted a different mixer. but i am going to have to cut through my poor piano black finish to do it
Corie Murtagh
oh and its facing the wall because i don't got too much space in my house, and of course the most important thing in the whole wide world, at leased to me --------- and thats wire control!
Dannielle Dingey
Awsome work, great result !

I do hope you considered a change of hardware in your build ?
Not the TT's or maschine...but that controller will not last forever.
Corie Murtagh
hey if you guys are looking into the mc 6000, and want to add timecode, beware. the software on this controller is buggy for that purpose (you have to use the audio 6, 8 , or 10) . but if your good with mapping go for it (your going to end up making a custom map). and whatever you don't follow the guide on traktor bible for using jack. it will completely mess up your traktor installation and you will have to reinstall.
Lisa Lochotzki
Wow! Really cool stuff man!
Fidelia Messing
really really good work there!
Patrica Giancaterino
The build is amazing but, why facing a wall?
Basil Forshee
This is sick. Great job mate!!!
Virgina Nihan
im considering upgrading to a denon mc-6000 from a s2 actually, haha. hows it doin for ya?
Corie Murtagh
hey scott. just never was a fan of the s4. soundcard sucks, faders suck, imputs suck, outputs suck. wanted one of those pioneer djm-t1 for a bit of control over the traktors fx. but its cheeper to just get a used mc-6000 and a ni audio 6. plus you get two extra decks or fx controls.
Virgina Nihan
holy crap dude, you have serious skills, thats a great table! its looks sexy too, haha, like the nice red accent lighting
Jenae Hensarling
Fantastic custom build. Looks great. Is there a reason you decided to go with a Dennon Controller instead of a S4?

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy