Anteaters evolving set up

Anteaters evolving set up
Posted on: 21.02.2012 by Stanley Peckman
This is indeed a work in progress with more to come in the next while. The set up has been taking shape recently.

This is the training set up but it's all portable enough to be used out and about with the main amp & speakers (not shown)

This set up started with an S4 on a pair of modified Ikea Muddus tables I cut and shut & turned into a single high table which is back friendly;

So fast forward a bit and I've been busy.......... A pair of midifighters and a pair of 1210's have been added in the last 6 weeks so the table wasn't big enough anymore.

I've got out a new table top from 18mm MDF which basibally sits on top of the original table - I'll fit some Dzus fasteners to make it solid but quickly demountable soon.

I wanted the set up to be tight and not to sprawled out so had to believe about putting stuff at differnet hights to to make the table as small as possible. So I picked up a Sefour CDJ stand on ebay cheap and added a bit of alloy to make a midifighter stand. It works great and really sets the midifighters at the ideal hight for me.

I chopped up a computer monitor stand, drilled it and made a laptop holder out of it. The intention being to open up the set up rather than just having my head bobbing up and down behing the flight case laptop stand.

So, next up is building a DJ room in the garage to house the set up - then I can make it bigger with more toys

Stanley Peckman
Originally Posted by Crem Brule
Anteater, I am toying with buying a Sefour x25 stand but wondered if it would be possible to fix the sefour single cd brakets over the tops of the turtable plinths? I run 2 turntables and 2 cdjs but also need to run a laptop on the stand as well? Any chance you could take a look, as the images on the Sefour site dont make it clear how the extra brackets fit to the main frame.

oh btw love the set up it looks ace
No probs, I'll do you some pics of what I've done tomorrow evening . It's worth mentioning my high level perspex shelve is a double CDJ mount - I just converted it by getting the perspex cut and placed it in. The laptop stand add-on was easy to make, box section steel, a VESA mount, rubber feet and a Citronic CDJ shelve.

I find the X25 totally solid for using but a bit clunky for out and about. Having said that I paid
Stanley Peckman
Anteater, I am toying with buying a Sefour x25 stand but wondered if it would be possible to fix the sefour single cd brakets over the tops of the turtable plinths? I run 2 turntables and 2 cdjs but also need to run a laptop on the stand as well? Any chance you could take a look, as the images on the Sefour site dont make it clear how the extra brackets fit to the main frame.

No probs, I'll do you some pics of what I've done tomorrow evening . It's worth mentioning my high level perspex shelve is a double CDJ mount - I just converted it by getting the perspex cut and placed it in. The laptop stand add-on was easy to make, box section steel, a VESA mount, rubber feet and a Citronic CDJ shelve.

I find the X25 totally solid for using but a bit clunky for out and about. Having said that I paid
Stanley Peckman

Stanley Peckman

Shira Narwold
Those white Technics are GORGEOUS!
Stanley Peckman
Originally Posted by WinstonEllis
That is one great setup you got out there. Everything is just awesome out there. I loved your laptop stand though. I gotta get one of these for myself as well. Nice pictures bro. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers, the laptop stand was very simple to make, its just pvc drain pipe with six manufactured bends, would probably cost you around 10 bucks to make, max.

It was inspired by the AIAIAI laptop stand which is cool and very nice but ultimately a lot more expensive to do the same job. Must have taken me about 20 mins to make, I glued it, the stand is rock solid with the mbp on it but its less transportable than an un-glued version.

I like the way it angles the keyboard if you ever need to use it to do a search for a song or something like that.

A very easy thing to make yourself
Bettyann Argenzio
That is one great setup you got out there. Everything is just awesome out there. I loved your laptop stand though. I gotta get one of these for myself as well. Nice pictures bro. Thanks for sharing.
Rufus Ondrick
what an awesome set up great progression
Stanley Peckman
A few months on and I have a set up I'm truly happy with. It's all been simplified, the midi fighters have gone to new owners and I'm sitting with my 1210's, Z2, F1 and X1 Mk II.

Sorted and needs nothing else for my work flow, no messing about with usb hubs either, just a single cable to the mbp. Very happy and all I need.

Other additions; Crossfade LP's, Chroma Caps (1 missing but DDTT are sorting it out) and I've now got spare needles in my Ortofon case.

The coolest thing about these set-up threads is seeing how peoples gear changes and evolves over time, my set up has changed a lot since my first Numark Omni and Dell laptop.........
Stanley Peckman

Stanley Peckman
Originally Posted by Coldfuzion
Dope looking setup!! And i'm so so so so so so so so jealous of the your Duc. I've got my M1, but I live at home and my Mom would kill me if I picked one up . I've always wanted either a Streetfighter, or 848.

The 1210's look dope!
Cheers bud. 2 classy bikes, I always thought the streetfighter would look really cool with clip-ons 848 style instead of the handle bars sorta naked racer style.

If you like looking at custom Ducati's look up Radical Ducati on the web or Facebook, they have built some awesome original bikes.
Stanley Peckman
Originally Posted by MrAybar
Hi, where did you find technics stickers?????
I sprayed the cover plates with 2-pac and bought the stickers from ebay; a few sellers do them in various colours, I got black to tie in with the white. You can also get big 'Technics' stickers for the sides of the decks but they looked a bit to flashy for me - as in not subtle enough.

Having said that I'm slightly tempted by a 12" skinz white decal skin for the S4 which is about as unsubtle as you can get.
Stanley Peckman
Originally Posted by mr.drumer.boy
Love the laptop mate. Ducati <3. I hope they do well in motogp this year. And what do u use the two midi fighters for?

Cheers, I became a Ducati junkie after I sold my R6 superstocker and bought the SS to race ............ I was privileged enough to be invited in to the garage at the Barcelona GP last summer, one of the most awesome Saturday evening s of my life

The midifighters are deckalized in A&B decks in the Scratch pro. I like using them to twist up the underlying track before tranistions + increasing the intensity of build ups.

Great toys, and a lot easier / faster to use than the effects decks on the S4.
Stanley Peckman
6 months on and I've got a workflow I'm almost 100% happy with. The Sefour stand has been stripped and forgotten about.

We now have an Ultimax 1.7M deck stand which is great for moving around and strips easily. I made a custom top shelve from a spare bit of MDF and some sticky felt from an automotive supplier, its solid and at 450+ wide the 1210's sit on it properly - the standard shelves are too narrow.

Handy hint, staple velcro on to the underside of the shelve and you make instant and permanent cable ties for all the connections.

Gear wise, not much of a change, I've picked up two kontrol stands with this weeks price drop, so err I obviously need to pick up a new X1 so I can err use the 2nd stand....

Stanley Peckman

Yukiko Spruell

Norah Legowski
stunning set up!
Stanley Peckman
A few months a few tweaks;

S4 is gone and a Z2 is installed. I made a bolt on laptop stand for the Sefour X25. Spend a lot of time on vinyl these days and less on Traktor when I'm on my own. The Traktor workflow is good though and overall I'm happy with the set up for practice.

I want to make this a permanent install with other kit for playing out - most of my work is effectively 'mobile' where we supply our own kit so, this gets stripped on a regular basis. Been using the 1210's out a fair bit recently and juggling between vinyl and timecode, people love seeing you use them which is nice, although I'm starting to see the benefits of CDJ's for transportation and ease of set up....

Stanley Peckman
Had the set up stripped for a gig a couple of weeks so thought is would be rude not to tidy the whole thing up at the same time. Sefour stand is now sprayed Glacier white matching the 1210 covers + I got the perspex sheet for the top shelve.

I know white isn't for everyone but I love it

There is now a ADJ jellyfish in the music room above the decks so it's like a mini club in the house now.

Forthcoming plans include;
more lighting
8gb on the Mac (ordered yesterday)
set up speakers & amp for home use not just playing out.

Biggest intended change is go to an Z2 from the S4, not just because it's the shiny new kid on the block; more to do with functionality. Switching between timecode, real vinyl and a microphone for voice loops and normal mic use is crap on the S4 and I find when you switch back to timecode the time code signal sometimes comes over the PA when input D has the mike unplugged. Nightmare when playing out. Only way to fix timecode signal when the above happens is to reset up via the set up wizard. Beyond useless to be honest and a real error in the S4 design.

Looks like the Z2 fixes this and the 2+2 decks doesn't bother me, most of my mixing is 2 decks, max 3 and I'm getting more and more out of the F1 as time go's by.
Stanley Peckman
Dope looking setup!! And i'm so so so so so so so so jealous of the your Duc. I've got my M1, but I live at home and my Mom would kill me if I picked one up . I've always wanted either a Streetfighter, or 848.

The 1210's look dope!
Cheers bud. 2 classy bikes, I always thought the streetfighter would look really cool with clip-ons 848 style instead of the handle bars sorta naked racer style.

If you like looking at custom Ducati's look up Radical Ducati on the web or Facebook, they have built some awesome original bikes.
Stanley Peckman
Originally Posted by MrAybar
I sprayed the cover plates with 2-pac and bought the stickers from ebay; a few sellers do them in various colours, I got black to tie in with the white. You can also get big 'Technics' stickers for the sides of the decks but they looked a bit to flashy for me - as in not subtle enough.

Having said that I'm slightly tempted by a 12" skinz white decal skin for the S4 which is about as unsubtle as you can get.
Sharmaine Pellino
Dope.

love your setup.
Ming Devis
epic!
Emely Metz
really nice! cant help but feeling a little envious though from the overall process :P
Kandi Odom
Carlee Pickard

The 1210's look dope!
Stanley Peckman
anyway, the important stuff;

• Sefour X25 stand with the CDJ extension stand
  • Kontrol S4
  • 1210's
  • Kontrol F1
  • 2 midifighters
  • Apple IPOD HiFi as the output speaker
  • and a 13" MBP which joined the set up 2 weeks ago

Future mods include replacing the metal on the shelve with plexiglass, spraying the stand white, adding a cable management and installing an ADJ Jellyfish on the ceiling (I've already put a power point up there for it)
Stanley Peckman
It says evolving in the title and thats whats going on

Found it hard to practice in the living room with the family trying to watch tv etc. I'm lucky enough to have a double garage and since I'm not racing now I don't really need all the space for motorbikes so I've built a room in one half of the garage. It's not full length as I still need space for bicycles 'n stuff but it's big enough to play in and party a bit.

The room is built out of reclaimed shop flooring that came out of a skip, stud walls and plasterboard and its working well. It's got a bar;

and the all important beer fridge......
Stanley Peckman
Originally Posted by mr.drumer.boy
Love the laptop mate. Ducati <3. I hope they do well in motogp this year. And what do u use the two midi fighters for?

Cheers, I became a Ducati junkie after I sold my R6 superstocker and bought the SS to race ............ I was privileged enough to be invited in to the garage at the Barcelona GP last summer, one of the most awesome Saturday evening s of my life

The midifighters are deckalized in A&B decks in the Scratch pro. I like using them to twist up the underlying track before tranistions + increasing the intensity of build ups.

Great toys, and a lot easier / faster to use than the effects decks on the S4.
Marva Cupid
Stanley Peckman
Err, so I'm no Xonetacular................ but I did create some fresh looking decks this week.

I bought a one owner original boxed pair of Mk2's a few weeks ago and I want to keep them looking fresh - UV fading on 1210's always looks pretty obvious to me so I'm trying to avoid it.

I found a pair of brass faceplates on ebay which unsuprisingly nobody else bid on :eek:

A
Stanley Peckman
Originally Posted by OmniRoss
Have you got a link for that laptop stand? I'm looking at buying an Ikea desk and that one looks like it would fit the bill.
The laptop stand started off as a normal vesa monitor stand with a swinging arm - this type of thing
MDM11S Single LCD Monitor Desk Mount Bracket Tilt: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41abXp-kd5L.@@AMEPARAM@@41abXp-kd5L

I basically took the arms off, cut it down and drilled a 10mm (3/8th) whole through it to put the vesa mount back on.

The laptop shelve is is currently a piece of mdf I cut and shaped - it fits the Dell 15" laptop I'm using at the moment. However I've got a Citronic CDJ metal shelve built up with a vesa mount on it the will simply clip on / off when I get a mbair 13 to replace the Dell.
Annalisa Shogren
Have you got a link for that laptop stand? I'm looking at buying an Ikea desk and that one looks like it would fit the bill.
Stanley Peckman
Originally Posted by durtyjerzy609
does your laptop stand interfere with your access to the left turntable? other than that i like ur set up, esp the midi fighters. how does it stand up to sum hard core button mashing sessions though?
Left turntable is fine to get into the arial shot makes it look way tighter than it is.

The midi's are solid, the CD stand was made for the weight of full size cdj's. They are screwed onto the mdf with 4 M5 bolts and wing nuts - well up for a mashtastic thrashing

Might look at ikea extending legs instead of the conduit idea.
Stefania Herb
does your laptop stand interfere with your access to the left turntable? other than that i like ur set up, esp the midi fighters. how does it stand up to sum hard core button mashing sessions though?
Stanley Peckman
Do you ride a Ducati? If so which model?
Yes. This one. It's an aircooled SS I had in a twins series.

I raced this in 2010 & 2011. It's the only bike that I've kept out of all the different bikes I raced and I'm putting it on the road this year, which is scary.............. I haven't ridden on the highway since 2002, the only time I was ever on two wheels from 2003 - 2011 was on a track.
Carlee Pickard
Do you ride a Ducati? If so which model?
Stanley Peckman
It is solid but; I'm slightly worried about the MDF bowing with the weight of the 1210's, so I have a plan.......

I'm going to fit two lengths of 20mm metal black enamel electrical coduit to the MDF to brace it secured with distance saddles. I'll screw another set of distance saddles to the original table top so the braced mdf will sit nice and solid on the original table.
Hanna Ridenbaugh
Love it!

is it not a bit top heavy though? looks a little.

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy