My loft setup

My loft setup
Posted on: 02.04.2012 by Caleb Demillo
Here's some pictures of my setup in my loft, which I call "bluedoor" (since all the doors in the building are a very bright blue, why not? Secret lounge.).

The lighting came about over time. The initial idea was that the LED lighting could also be used for accent lighting. It expanded from there...

All lights and visuals are controllable via an iPad, which triggers cues and scenes in ShowCad Artist and Modul8.

DJ Gear:
- DJ Booth by http://dualsf.com
- 2 Technics SL-1200 MG5 turntables w/Shure whitelabel carts
- 2 Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus's
- Rane MP2016s + XP 2016s rotary mixer
- Rane ME15s EQ
- American Audio dbDisplay LED meter
- 2 KRK Rokkit RP6 Gen 2 Monitors
- Macbook Pro 15", i7 2.4GHz
- NI Traktor Scratch Pro 2.0
- 2 NI Kontrol X1 controllers

Lighting:
- ShowCad Artist 3 DMX Console
- 8 Chauvet Colorband Tri LED strips
- 4 Chauvet Q-Spot 260 moving heads
- 3 Chauvet Colorstrip Mini LED strips
- 1 Chauvet Colorband Tri LED strip
- 2 Chauvet LED Shadow black lights
- 1 Chauvet Impulse 648 Strobe
- Chauvet GBC green/blue laser
- Chauvet Hurricane 1100 Fog Machine

Visuals:
- Modul8 Visualization Software
- Epson 8700UB Projector

Control:
- Apple iPad
- Liine Lemur App

Production:
- Apple Logic Pro 9
- Ableton Live Suite 8
- Properllerhead Reason 6
- NI Komplete 8
- NI Maschine II
- M-Audio Axiom Pro 49
- 2 KRK Rokkit RP6 Gen 2 Monitors

(yours truly!)

Esmeralda Poeppelman
Ryan, you're in Boston right?? I seem to remember you from Avalon or maybe Rise??
Caleb Demillo
Originally Posted by Otacon
Wow you're like the Kevin Flynn of DJ lighting :O but man thanks for the reply, im gonna work on putting something like that together. Is it possible to have a setup like that and be mobile?
I don't see why not, though it might be too many points of failure to deal with in a mobile setup.
Erich Vallabhaneni
Wow you're like the Kevin Flynn of DJ lighting :O but man thanks for the reply, im gonna work on putting something like that together. Is it possible to have a setup like that and be mobile?
Tonisha Ehrlichman
WoW!!! Great setup. I wish I had that. Much Props!!
Caleb Demillo
Originally Posted by Otacon
Wow.....w-o-w.....you say you run your lights and stuff off an IPad? I'd love to figure out how so I could easily control mine without a second laptop. What a great place man, got my inspiration up for my next abode
Yes. I set up the following:

Martin LightJockey 2 --- DMX ---> Enntec ODE (DMX to Artnet converter) --- Artnet On my Home Network ---> Enntec ODE (Artnet to DMX converter) ---> Lights

I have two applications on the iPad:

One is Lemur. That I use to send MIDI to LightJockey 2 (which is actually running in a Windows 7 VM on VMWare Fusion on my Macbook). The same Lemur template I built also sends OSC to another machine (a mac mini) that's running Arkaos for the visuals and sits in my media cabinet (it's my server machine for movies, music, etc).

The other app is Luminair. This is an iPad app that's specifically made for lighting, and outputs Artnet directly. This lets me control the lights (LED strips primarily) without booting up light jockey.

I had an electrician mount the boxes up on the beams with two switches. One switches on the LED strips, and the other switches on the moving yokes. That way I can flip the LED's on, put on an "accent" scene from the iPad, without booting up everything into "rave mode".
Erich Vallabhaneni
Wow.....w-o-w.....you say you run your lights and stuff off an IPad? I'd love to figure out how so I could easily control mine without a second laptop. What a great place man, got my inspiration up for my next abode
Caleb Demillo
Originally Posted by AndrewLeigh
I must know and you have probably been asked this but, what do you do for a living if you don't mind me asking? Because that setup is AMAZING!!!
Software Engineer
Kia Trautwein
I must know and you have probably been asked this but, what do you do for a living if you don't mind me asking? Because that setup is AMAZING!!!
Dino Dittemore
boner. that is all that needs to be said about that...
Carlee Pickard
Wow. Fucking Wow. Just god damn wow. WOW. I want.
Alla Bluemke
Originally Posted by DJSp1n
Seriously, I thought that was a bar/small lounge club.
Its better then almost every small bar and club I've ever been to!
Jeramy Akinola
Seriously, I thought that was a bar/small lounge club.
Caleb Demillo
Well with 16.5 foot ceilings, why NOT put in some club lights It's fun! The laser is a Chauvet GBC. Just one, and it's pretty awesome.

For sound I actually have a 10" sub in the corner off the stereo. That is IT. I had a KRK RP10's subwoofer from my old place, and something about the bass in here, it reverberates like crazy. Huge bass traps in the corner, it sounded ridiculous on the lowest setting, I sold it and upgraded from my previous RP5's to the RP6's. I mean it was really odd, like having a bass bin in your house... maybe the hard concrete floors had a lot to do with that. The system sounds great as is.

As for neighbors, I'm in my mid-30's, so I don't party it up all evening . I do a weekly online DJ show from 6-8pm with friends and neighbors over, and the occasional house party, which is more of a lounge atmosphere with appetizers and some nice techy deep music than a raging drunk 18yo party with dubstep. It's really not louder than a stereo at moderate volume unless I crank it.
Chi Woodly
That is super nice, reminds me of my old loft, but do your neighbors not care about the party atmosphere?
Romelia Stankard
Recognize this from DJF... sick.

Do you have a PA system with some subs if you have parties or anything? at least get a KRK 10s sub at the minimum for those rokkits, it makes a huge difference even just for practicing and messing around by yourself and I can't stand listening to my RP8s for DJing without the sub after owning one.
Doug Bieling
Originally Posted by dope
Clean. But still wondering why you got lazers and stuff in your livingroom. House parties ?
To be fair it looks like a serious party gaf to me, well worthy of housing lazers that could be used to great effect!

What i would give to live somewhere like this! Doesn't look like the kind of place you have neighbors to worry about
Kasi Marget
Clean. But still wondering why you got lazers and stuff in your livingroom. House parties ?
Erica Charvet
I don't believe this is real life.
Reva Poat
Holy Shit
Caleb Demillo
Originally Posted by MisterMoleyMole
WTF!? How amazing is that place. Is that where you live?

What country you in?
Yes it's my home. I'm in the US, Boston.

I don't have any productions up yet. The production side of things is still pretty new to me. I bought Live like 5 years ago and just didn't delve into it until now, picked up Komplete 8 and am still figuring things out.

I had the booth in my previous place, after I bought my place most of the additions were in the lighting area and adding the projector. That and a bunch of new furniture.
Alla Bluemke
i would kill for that set up lol.
Doug Bieling
WTF!? How amazing is that place. Is that where you live?

What country you in?
Jenae Hensarling
If only money was no factor... Nice set up Ryan, said it over on DJF as well. Are your productions hosted anywhere?
Caleb Demillo
Originally Posted by Era 7
ryan seriously stop making me drool over this setup. it is bad enough i already had to on tranceaddict and of DJF
Sorry
Tesha Freudenstein
ryan seriously stop making me drool over this setup. it is bad enough i already had to on tranceaddict and of DJF
Daniele Gladys
jizzed in my pants
Era Roka
Wow!
Lynetta Stanislav
Wow what a setup man one of the best
Viviana Tarno
Party at Ryans house!
Judi Sissel
I'll take it! When do I move in. Does it come furnished?
Addie Engbrecht
Just got a semi looking at that
Somer Vanstraten
omg, love it!!
Inez Marcinik
That is fucking awesome

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy