The improvised DJ/production desk thread

Home :: What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup. :: The improvised DJ/production desk threadReply
The improvised DJ/production desk thread
Posted on: 16.09.2011 by Romelia Stankard
Update July 2012

Now that we can edit posts regardless of how old they are I thought I would post a few updates here for people looking to build one of these and compile some past posts since I get PMs about it every one in a while. Please read through this thread and post any questions in here before PMing me, I will see your post I promise. I will be happy to answer any questions in this thread and if you plan to do it differently then it's best to plan it out carefully but my build works very well and is very sturdy.

This is a pretty easy DIY project but you will need some basic skills and tools and be able to figure some things out on your own- if you need a list of every single screw and washer I used and step by step instructions this project is probably not for you.

Here is the full parts list I used in my build- all parts are picked out specifically for the dual expedit configuration I used so keep that in mind if you are going to modify it you need to check if it will work:

Two 2x8 expedits: $140 http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10103088/
3 lillangen leg frames $25 each for $75 (must be this exact model for the correct width of two expedits: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40205194/)
4 godmorgon legs: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10177767/ $8 each for $32 total
You may be able to get away with two depending on what you use for a monitor stand to mount on top, but the second set is to get another mounting bracket/screw to make a straight stand that you can bolt and screw a piece of plywood into
you will need top plates for the monitor stand, I had two spare ones from some floor monitor stands I just screwed in. You could screw into a shelf (preferably not the cheap hollow lack) or just a piece of wood from lowes spray painted might be easier and what I would do if I didn't have the metal plates. These are the metal plates I used from these stands: http://www.amazon.com/OnStage-SMS600.../dp/B000CD3QYM

Optional: 3x dioder light kits http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50192365/ $120. You can use fewer depending on how you want to light it

2x capita brackets http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40051196/ $15

From lowes/home depot: you can get nice 1/2"x12" by however long wood you want your shelf and they can cut it to the length of the shelf and you can spray paint or stain it. This is better than using an ikea shelf since you need to screw into it. You can use this for monitor stands too.

You will need two long metric bolts and large washers for the capita brackets. These are the exact bolts I used from Lowes: http://www.lowes.com/pd_214487-37672...RL=&facetInfo=
M10-1.50 x 75

You will then need some long thin bolts to bolt the godmorgon legs through the expedit with some fat 1" diameter washers for each bolt. I had to enlarge each hole on the bracket slightly. Don't try to screw these in they need to be bolted through with big washers. I forget the exact bolts I used but go to the store and shop around a bit and look through the pictures in here.

Then you will just need misc screws to secure the leg frame and some drill bits and such. you will also want some brackets to secure the expedits together (again, look at the pictures)

Also the headphone hooks from Ikea which are awesome: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60152590/

Here are some pictures I took a couple months ago from when I rearranged my apartment and moved the booth which gives you some more details on how it was put together since I didn't take as many pics as I could have when I put it together (it also held up perfectly fine moving it by myself sliding it on it's side on the floor and then turning it back upright from on it's side with all the weight on the legs, though it was a pain in the ass doing it alone).

I drilled a bunch of extra holes in the leg frames to mount it better just to make sure they are sturdy, it is easy to drill though and I don't believe there are enough holes if you just use the stock ones.

Here are some more posts in this thread with more in progress pictures (keep in mind some of the stuff like the lack shelves didn't get used in the final design):

http://community .djranking s.com/showthr...l=1#post353617

http://community .djranking s.com/showthr...l=1#post359366

Original Post:
I saw a couple ideas for things hacked together from ikea parts but I don't really have a table saw or tools at my new place so I want something with minimal cutting.

Basically I need to fit two technics, s4 in flight case, mpk49, ipad, maybe an apc40, maschine, and 2 x1's (though some of those can stay stored away) and maybe some storage space for vinyl underneath but I have other spots for that too. I have monitor stands made of pipe I can bolt onto whatever I do.

So I would love to see some idea.
Demarcus Poppe
A lot of these tables look real nice, very inspiring.Having recently finished acquiring my new set up (1200s) i need a new surface big enough, and worthy of my new treasures.

I started my own build employing the popular expedit. I'm going with 2, 2x2 shelves for a couple reasons. Alot of ikea furniture doesn't like to be disassembled and reassembled, and in the event it needs to be moved two separate cases would be easier. The second reason being stability. Ive seen multiple posts where just the one expedit deep variety was used and although its probably pretty stable on a hard surface, ill be putting a somewhat heavy wooden top on them not including the gear . By my design the table top will be 6'4" wide, and i will have the two expedits slightly angled out, leaving a gap in the middle. This gives me 24" between the front and back corners instead of 15" depth of expedit as per the website.

Table top and shelf will be homemade. The table itself will be pretty simple. The shelf will be about 4' long, angled, and have vertical sides down to the table top. I work as an abrasive waterjet programmer/operator so my fabrication possibilities are pretty big in that realm. My idea was to cut out the Technics logo in either the front or back of the shelf and inlay it with frosted lexan (plexiglass). I got the idea from a table on one of these community s where they built the table up to flush and put plexi around the edge with backlighting and it looked top. I tested the concept today and it'll look crazy good. Also open to other design options as there are three long sides to the shelf to fill with cool glowing inlays ( dont want anything tacky obvi). the shelf will also hide all wires and power strips.

Other than that i left some space for [near] future monitors [hopefully]. Also wanting ideas for a good finish from those who used raw stock. Right now im leaning towards glossy black just cause i believe ittl look good with the light box and expedits come in black but idk...

can post updates (pics) if there's interest but i will post when complete, want to finish in a couple weeks tops so i get get on those decks!

cheers
Tonja Glaab
Originally Posted by groovegsus
Hello here is mine

What is the model number on the dual monitors in your setup? Nice by the way!
Lizzette Wrather
Simple but effective:

IMAG0530.jpg
Bobby Kubenka
Originally Posted by 0Notice
Built my own!

Attachment 14972
That looks pretty nice. I like the fact you've tacked on extra support for the monitors and the laptop stand.
Athena Zembal
Hello here is mine

Jesenia Chromey
Hello, you are right these are not ikea parts, but legs for a bed !
Very functional because the height can be adjusted: screw up or down to set the right height of TT/mixer.

So my job is mainly done, except some details: mount my cdj (on left side) and integrate vu meters (analog) into the desk

Br

K
Klara Kinnebrew
k, What are the lets you used inside the the table for holding the self? The legs do not look like anything ikea sells. the ones that can be seen here:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-K...824_161956.jpg

the ones on the outside look like the legs/brackets that come with the table. the other one that is holding the shelf is the one im interested in. thanks buddy.
Vito Agate
Originally Posted by kanaberra
Hey, thanks. That's really helpful.

Did you get the little legs that help support the weight of the extra shelf the decks and mixer are on (pic 26) from Ikea too?
Jesenia Chromey
Hello,

How did you cut the holes for the decks/mixer, they look very neat - router?
draw some markers (tape+holes), jigsaw (blade for profile), wood file + sandpaper
/!\ Ikea parts are full of air (folded carton

Did you remove the hinges from the 1210s?
yes I do

Please take a look to this album for more images

Br

k
Vito Agate
Originally Posted by kanaberra
Hello,
I used ikea modules to fully integrate the hardware which should not change anymore
Nothing really new, just some ikea parts: lack+expedit...

Here some pix:

This looks fantastic. How did you cut the holes for the decks/mixer, they look very neat - router? Did you remove the hinges from the 1210s?
Sonja Roybal
The biggest issue I'm having with getting the perfect desk is monitor position. I'm going to have my monitors at sit level for production and wall mount a pair of hifi speakers to the wall for dj'ing. I've found I don't particularly care for dj'ing on monitors anyway.
Klara Kinnebrew
Originally Posted by William Gibson
Has anyone found a decent replacment for the angled legs yet that have been discontinued?

Nothing yet? Moving in to a new Apt in a month. Dying to rig something up...
Kieth Lovering
Originally Posted by HarryK
quite an awkward position to have your mixer, no?
It's only put that way right now, So I can use my laptop to produce while I wait for the computer monitor to arrive, I placed the laptop in it's place and the mixer there for now.
Corey Ganer
quite an awkward position to have your mixer, no?
Kieth Lovering
Had to make some adjustments to get the right kind of wood. I'm sure you might be able to find a cheaper way to do it, and maybe even more sturdy, but so far, this table is extremely steady. I had a friend who works as an architect help me out with all the mathematical side and all the details for it not to fall apart.

This can get quite difficult since Ikea wood is pretty much crap.

It is still a work in progress as I still have to do some cable organizing and still have a couple of more things to purchase.

Originally, I was going to use one long lack wall shelf and one long expedit shelf. However, had I done that, the table would have been over 70 inches long. So we made some adjustments while at ikea and settled for two Lack Sofa Table (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50228034/) (you really only need one, but we got two to make sure the shelf we were going to use was the same lenght and would look the same. Personally, If I did it again, I probably would have just gone to home depot to get the wood cut up for the shelf).

I built the expedit shelfs and one of the Lack Sofa Table and had this:

0k5d.jpg

I also went out and bought some wood to have a base for the table. Spray painted it, added the capita brackets (and glued and nailed to the top shelf) and had this:

lww4.jpg

Nothing was bolted or screwed in as of yet.

Once we did that I realized that I was not going to be able to get any computer monitor in with out taking out part of the Lack Shelf at the top. So I did that, and bolted everything in, with about 5 inch screws for the lack sofa table to the ply and 3 inch screws for the plywood to the expedit shelfs.

1je1.jpg

Everything was extremely sturdy however, the top was a little wobbly, so we decided we needed to clamp it together, and it worked beautifully and it gives it a pretty cool look. This photo was taken yesterday.

zyvc.jpg

The dimensions work great for me, when djing the laptop can be a LITTLE high for me (I'm 5'10") but nothing too bad. The part that still needs the most work is sitting down, however, as of right now, Piano is extremely comfortable to play, keyboard and mouse will fit perfectly under the ply and after doing measurements I have come to realize that the biggest screen I will be able to fit is a 19".

Now, I'm ordering these things in the next few days.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...pk=va1912a-led

-A Thunderbolt to DVI converter to be able to connect the macbook to the computer monitor
-Apple Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse
-Auralex Speakerdudes
Gudrun Ferniza
Can you post a drawing of your project?

Originally Posted by deejaygarcia
Got some inspiration from this page. Going to build a Table that is both a DJ Booth (Standing Up) and a production desk (Sitting Down) with the following

2 - Expedit Shelves (small 4 shelves)
1 - Expedit Shelve (long 5 shelves)
1 - Lack Large Shelf
2 - Capita Brackets

Very inexpensive and based on the design i have planned and measured it (even ran it through an arquitect to see if it would hold). I'll post pictures once I have something up and running.
Jesenia Chromey
Hello,
I used ikea modules to fully integrate the hardware which should not change anymore
Nothing really new, just some ikea parts: lack+expedit...

Here some pix:

More pics if interested: http://flic.kr/ps/ctBSs

Tell me if any howto info needed ?

Br

K
Daniell Tortora
Originally Posted by deejaygarcia
Got some inspiration from this page. Going to build a Table that is both a DJ Booth (Standing Up) and a production desk (Sitting Down) with the following

1 - Lack Large Shelf
2 - Capita Brackets

Very inexpensive and based on the design i have planned and measured it (even ran it through an arquitect to see if it would hold). I'll post pictures once I have something up and running.
Sounds excellent, tell us how it goes!
Kieth Lovering

1 - Lack Large Shelf
2 - Capita Brackets

Aundrea Lenore
I'm about to start a build in the coming weeks.

Just landed a new apartment and I've been eager to get one started!! I'm in NYC, so of course..strapped for space. I want this to take up the smallest footprint as possible. I would also like to be able to store a small controller (VCI/S2 size) somewhere to easily alter the setting if desired. This isn't that important, so just throwing it out there.

Current setup:
2 x CDJ400s
A&H Xone:22
X1
Rokit 8s
Macbook

The setup is rather small so I'm believeing of the 2x2 book shelf, larger table top, and the small wall shelf for my laptop. The book shelf is 31" and I need around 41-41" to suit my height.

I would like to incorporate the Rokit 8s in the build, but they are heavy and the first solution that comes to mind is just place them on their own floor stands.

I need to get measurements of the room and gear before I start purchasing. I'll report back.

Opinions welcome!
Noma Micu
Originally Posted by illinspecta
but he got behind the mixer 2 angles :-P
Yeah that's what I'm believeing of doing. 2 Capita angular brackets behind the mixer, and then another leg (straight or angular?) at each end for support.
Noma Micu
I believe i've seen that here.

Thats sounds like a good solution!

Maybe thats the best way to do that, but maybe 2 on the left side, 2 in the middle und 2 at the right side.
Than you can use the longer version from the shelf and got enough space for your electronics
Thanks. I believe what I need then are some straight legs the same height as the Capita brackets (17 cm). From what I can see the Capita legs are 20 cm so a bit too tall.

Has anyone used other legs with Capita brackets?
Dolores Creswell
but he got behind the mixer 2 angles :-P
Noma Micu
hmmm....you also want to put your monitors on it?
I believe thats to heavy. I wouldn't give a proof for that dude

do it like me, use the 110cm shelf (for laptop etc.)
There you can use the Ekby holdings, like an other guy here in the community .

And than put at the corner from the Linmon Deskplate holdings for the monitors.
in this thread are a few cool options to do that
Are the Ekby holdings the ones you linked above? I don't believe they look as nice as the Capita brackets Are they more stable?

I do like some of the monitor stands I've seen in this thread, but its more time and money.

This guy seems to have his monitors on the shelf - IMG_0217_zpsafeca1d1.jpg
Dolores Creswell
Originally Posted by Nibbsy
Has anyone tried using more than one pair of Capita brackets, say 2 back and 2 front, for more support?
I believe i've seen that here.

Thats sounds like a good solution!

Maybe thats the best way to do that, but maybe 2 on the left side, 2 in the middle und 2 at the right side.
Than you can use the longer version from the shelf and got enough space for your electronics
Dolores Creswell
Thanks again man. Yeah my active monitors will also be going on the shelf which are quite heavy, so the shelf has to be quite stable.

I would have thought though that the binding between the shelf and the Capita brackets would be ok with screws (and some glue), as long as the binding between the brackets and the table top is secure?

And I know the shelf is cheap, my issue is the nearest Ikea is 2 hours away, so I only really want to make 1 trip!
hmmm....you also want to put your monitors on it?
I believe thats to heavy. I wouldn't give a proof for that dude

do it like me, use the 110cm shelf (for laptop etc.)
There you can use the Ekby holdings, like an other guy here in the community .

And than put at the corner from the Linmon Deskplate holdings for the monitors.
in this thread are a few cool options to do that
Noma Micu
Has anyone tried using more than one pair of Capita brackets, say 2 back and 2 front, for more support?
Noma Micu
2uym79l.jpg

thats not my present setup i don't find time at home to upload new pics

Like i said, i welded the holding myself, i know its a bit far away to watch exactly how i've done that.
I don't really know if normal screws holds the weigth of Laptop etc.
For me it was not secure enough :P
So i used long bolts
Maybe someone else can say somehting about the wall shelf - holding by screws.

I would say, try it. If it doesn't keep the weight you will see
The shelf just costs a few euros

Maybe try this ones?
-> http://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/50251029/

i believe that will suites you too?
Thanks again man. Yeah my active monitors will also be going on the shelf which are quite heavy, so the shelf has to be quite stable.

I would have thought though that the binding between the shelf and the Capita brackets would be ok with screws (and some glue), as long as the binding between the brackets and the table top is secure?

And I know the shelf is cheap, my issue is the nearest Ikea is 2 hours away, so I only really want to make 1 trip!
Dolores Creswell
Thanks man, that's the sort of thing I need to know. Do you mean you used long bolts to attach the legs to the shelf? Will the screws not be secure enough?
2uym79l.jpg

thats not my present setup i don't find time at home to upload new pics

Like i said, i welded the holding myself, i know its a bit far away to watch exactly how i've done that.
I don't really know if normal screws holds the weigth of Laptop etc.
For me it was not secure enough :P
So i used long bolts
Maybe someone else can say somehting about the wall shelf - holding by screws.

I would say, try it. If it doesn't keep the weight you will see
The shelf just costs a few euros

Maybe try this ones?
-> http://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/50251029/

i believe that will suites you too?
Noma Micu
Hey Dude, just to let you know.
The lack wall shelf is hollow
I bought them and i was wondering how light it is ;-)
So be carefull with the screws...
I used big long bolts with an "self-welded" holding. The Nut is also just hand-tight
Thanks man, that's the sort of thing I need to know. Do you mean you used long bolts to attach the legs to the shelf? Will the screws not be secure enough?
Dolores Creswell
Hi, inspired by this thread I am believeing of putting together a unit for my turntables and controller. At the moment I'm believeing of putting these together:

1 x Linnmon table top - http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50251350/
2 x Capita angular brackets - http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40051196/
1 x Lack Wall Shelf - http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60103632/

I already have some legs which I should be able to attach to the table top. If not I will just lay the new top on top of the existing desk.

Can anyone confirm whether it will then be straight forward to just mount the wall shelf on the Capita brackets on top of the table top? Is it just a case of drilling 2 holes through the table top and bolting the brackets on? And then attaching the the wall shelf on top of the brackets? Has anyone else done this?

Thanks

Edit: having now read the entire thread it seems like the stability of the Capita brackets is not great. What is the best way to keep it secure?

Hey Dude, just to let you know.
The lack wall shelf is hollow
I bought them and i was wondering how light it is ;-)
So be carefull with the screws...
I used big long bolts with an "self-welded" holding. The Nut is also just hand-tight
Noma Micu
Hi, inspired by this thread I am believeing of putting together a unit for my turntables and controller. At the moment I'm believeing of putting these together:

1 x Linnmon table top - http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50251350/
2 x Capita angular brackets - http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40051196/
1 x Lack Wall Shelf - http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60103632/

I already have some legs which I should be able to attach to the table top. If not I will just lay the new top on top of the existing desk.

Can anyone confirm whether it will then be straight forward to just mount the wall shelf on the Capita brackets on top of the table top? Is it just a case of drilling 2 holes through the table top and bolting the brackets on? And then attaching the the wall shelf on top of the brackets? Has anyone else done this?

Thanks

Edit: having now read the entire thread it seems like the stability of the Capita brackets is not great. What is the best way to keep it secure?
Xochitl Rubalcaba
sorted ordered the parts as for the monitor stand I have decided to do some thing like they have done here

http://community .djranking s.com/showthr...t=41133&page=2
Sonja Roybal
Originally Posted by MisterMoleyMole
Has anyone come up with a decent desk that can be sat and stood at yet? ... This question is coming from someone at 6ft 1

Excuse the mess. Still a work in progress. I plan on getting another Vika Amon table to give the production side more room. I'll probably add another 1200 and maschine. Then no buying gear for a long time.
Xochitl Rubalcaba
Ordering the stuff to do mine this week might just get a longer lack shelf would like godmorgen legs but don't no how I would fix them both ends
Doug Bieling
Has anyone come up with a decent desk that can be sat and stood at yet? ... This question is coming from someone at 6ft 1
Xochitl Rubalcaba
Hmm not sure want something I can bolt both ends fairly easy with out to much messing around
Gaynell Rydberg
Well the top is easily mounted, rather obvious.

The bottom looks like it is only secured by a single screw. I don't know if you'd wanna use that as a stand unless your monitors are 5". I'd try and fabricate a center mounted bracket to the bottom so you have a more secure mounting plate.
Xochitl Rubalcaba
believeing of using the GODMORGON legs as monitor stands how can I bolt these both ends
Milda Poucher
Yeah I'm believeing of making a really long desk with a bit of a corner section for my PC rig. Going to get my room a bit tidy and add a pic and see if anyone can come up with ideas.

One question I have. For people having turntables and then a second higher shelf for controllers/laptop. How far forward and high does this shelf need to be to not get in the way of your arms when trying to use turntables?

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy